Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I see the Champagne Charlies are getting their knickers in a twist.

The chilli looks well presented and according to c-w-s tasted really good. I'd gladly forego a glass of fizzy wine for better food.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Whether you agree with it or not, for a lot of people a glass or two of champagne is part of the premium travelling experience. I think the reaction is understandable and warranted.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Raffles
There seems to be a lot of moaning on here from people who have never been in the No 1 Lounge.

Let's clarify a few things :-) The BA Gatwick lounges were a dump with a pathetic food offering. No 1 is one of the best third party lounges you will visit - because, shockingly, when you are creating something which people will be paying real money for, you make a good job of it.

The new No 1 Lounge in South is going to be huge (I have been inside the building site) and I get a feeling that a lot of BA pax will prefer it to the new Galleries facility. If you are in a group, you will be able to book a Club Room which is basically your own private lounge with waiter service - anyone paying cash for CW or F would find the marginal cost of this peanuts for the extra service.
Let's deal with the hyperbole first. Those Lounges were not dumps, but they were due a makeover. The food offerings were perfectly acceptable and a lot better than I've seen elsewhere. Try BCN which is not even close, or MAD for that matter.

For the rest I quite agree, and whilst it is a shame about the Champagne arrangments, I will be using this in the future and will pass comment before I've tried it rather than fixate on speculation.

As you say it is a temporary arrangement although 11 months is quite a long temporary period.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Emirates Gold
Perhaps someone can clarify something for me, I recently reached BA Silver and will be flying from Gatwick with Thompson Airways (package ski deal). Does that entitle me and my +1 entry to this lounge?

I can't quite figure it out as this is my first forray into such things.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
What is the difference between No1 & My Lounge?

Can you move between the two?
http://www.no1traveller.com/gatwick-...nges-north.htm

http://www.no1traveller.com/my-lounge-gatwick-north.htm

It looks like My Lounge is a cut-down version of the original No 1 lounge (both in terms of size and facilities) but, for this reason, is likely to be less busy than No 1 at peak times. Not sure if you can move between the two. BA might be charged different rates for the different lounges.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:43 am
HAT

Programs: BA, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Cabe64
Perhaps someone can clarify something for me, I recently reached BA Silver and will be flying from Gatwick with Thompson Airways (package ski deal). Does that entitle me and my +1 entry to this lounge?

Many thanks.
You need to fly with BA or other oneworld airline in order to get access to the lounge (and get other Silver benefits).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)

Many thanks.
Hello, welcome to Flyertalk. Unfortunately the answer is no - your BA status gets you lounge access only when flying on oneworld airlines.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, Emirates Gold
I thought as much but couldn't pin down anything specific due to the special circumstances of this lounge. Shame.

A well, at least another year of silver, I'm sure I'll get to experience some of the other lounges
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I will be using this in the future and will pass comment before I've tried it rather than fixate on speculation.
Typo there I believe. Before we all fixate over what you mean.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
I agree with zeltergiset. For me, a glass of champagne is for a special occasion and I fully intend to have one when I start my holiday.

Because BA won't provide one in the lounge, I'll have it on-board instead.

Surely it would work out cheaper to supply me with a glass in the lounge rather than the quarter bottle that I think they supply on the aircraft?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by stuart_f
I agree with zeltergiset. For me, a glass of champagne is for a special occasion and I fully intend to have one when I start my holiday.

Surely it would work out cheaper to supply me with a glass in the lounge rather than the quarter bottle that I think they supply on the aircraft?
I agree.

I do however doubt that this is a BA/No.1 conspiracy - more an oversight, I hope.

A simple card invite that entitled to the holder to free Champagne would be perfectly reasonable for GCHs and F pax.

Let's not even mention the JW Blue Label!

Any BA lurker could quickly nip this PR disaster in the bud, before it gets off FT and into the tabloids.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Any BA lurker could quickly nip this PR disaster in the bud, before it gets off FT and into the tabloids.
I agree, although TBH I'm not sure that the tabloids would be interested.

They don't normally go for the 'First Class traveller denied glass of champagne' type stuff. More the 'Mum and 5 kids rejected by No1 Lounge' line.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stuart_f

I wouldn't drink that stuff they serve on the short haul aircraft if you paid me and this is no doubt reflected in the supply price to BA.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I did check with "someone in BA" about the champagne.

Basically BA weren't given much option about the move to South Terminal, the first they heard of it was in a press report! They were also not given much leeway on the North lounge, they don't actually own it, but Gatwick Airport Limited (GAL) were prevailed upon on a number of the details and timings in particular. GAL also leaned on No. 1 to provide lounge facilities to replace the BA Pavilion, for which a number of building projects have forced its closure.

Now I don't have a clear insight about this, other than that it was quite a tough negotiation and "no one should think that BA are saving any money" by this move. My speculation bit: BA are paying a flat fee to No. 1, which is greater than the implied cost per head of the previous arrangements. To get the deal to work, champagne wasn't included since the deal was "per head", and if BA wanted to pay for the champagne this would have been added as a unconstrained add-on per drink served. And you can appreciate with non BA guests also in the lounge, there are some logistical issues around this too.

Now I wasn't happy with the early closedown of Flounge, and did raise it with the top leadership, clearly I wasn't alone in doing so. But in this case BA management at LGW are more the victims of a terminal move which was always going to have a number of pain points.

And it is just temporary, in the last few days this has gone up in Frankie and Bennys South Terminal. This used to be the main entrance to the restaurant. I can't reproduce the note on the door since it's loaded with telephone numbers, but it says very clearly "BA CIP Lounge Project". The client, incidentally, was listed not as BA, but GAL, who have their own project manager heading this. There was plenty of construction noises emanating from behind the door.

I'll take a selfie stick next time!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I thought as much but couldn't pin down anything specific due to the special circumstances of this lounge. Shame.

A well, at least another year of silver, I'm sure I'll get to experience some of the other lounges
Welcome to Flyertalk Cabe64, we're probably all a bit wrapped up in BA Weltschmerz, almost to the exclusion of any other flying institution, with the possible exception of AA! But yes, this thread essentially presumes BA travel. On the other hand there is nothing to stop you from getting a lounge pass, either directly from No. 1 or possibly from Thomson. I hope you have a good holiday, and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.