Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions

Call me a cynic but I think the chances of free champagne( at least for SCHolders and those in CE) making a reappearance when the new BA lounge opens in the south terminal just plummeted massively.
After all, if few buy it in the No.1 lounge surely that's evidence that few really wanted it ..
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:44 am

Is complimentary champagne still available at Galleries Club in LHR? If so then why should flying from LGW be any different? Surely, there would be more call for a glass of bubbly on leisure routes. This is just pure penny pinching by BA; squeezing more profit from the customer by providing less. I actually think it's quite disgraceful.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:51 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Originally Posted by lcyguy
Call me a cynic but I think the chances of free champagne( at least for SCHolders and those in CE) making a reappearance when the new BA lounge opens in the south terminal just plummeted massively.
After all, if few buy it in the No.1 lounge surely that's evidence that few really wanted it ..
... and if many buy it, BA will know that passengers are willing to pay for their champagne. Win-win for BA.

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Is complimentary champagne still available at Galleries Club in LHR? If so then why should flying from LGW be any different? Surely, there would be more call for a glass of bubbly on leisure routes. This is just pure penny pinching by BA; squeezing more profit from the customer by providing less. I actually think it's quite disgraceful.
It's impossible to make this type of comparison -- different lounges across BA's network will have different offerings. If we applied that logic, we should be up in arms that EWR doesn't have a CCR...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by mattking2000
... and if many buy it, BA will know that passengers are willing to pay for their champagne. Win-win for BA.

It's impossible to make this type of comparison -- different lounges across BA's network will have different offerings. If we applied that logic, we should be up in arms that EWR doesn't have a CCR...
I have to disagree. The Concorde Room isn't promised at EWR. In fact they make it clear that a CCR is only available at LHR and JFK. But BA.com states when flying in premium cabins to expect a lounge experience where you can, "ask for a nicely chilled glass of champagne". That's taken directly from BA's website. I don't see any hint on there that it's subject to availability or not complimentary. Make no mistake - this is penny pinching. We've already heard that other airlines who use No. 1 Traveller for their premium cabin passengers pay for their champagne. BA made a conscious decision not to.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
First world problem I know but I've gone from booking a birthday trip to VCE in May with Mrs G expecting to be sitting in the First lounge and us both having as much Tattinger as we like to start our trip off to having to pay if we wish £8 a glass......

Quite frankly I don't think it's good enough.......
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
There seems to be a lot of moaning on here from people who have never been in the No 1 Lounge.

Let's clarify a few things :-) The BA Gatwick lounges were a dump with a pathetic food offering. No 1 is one of the best third party lounges you will visit - because, shockingly, when you are creating something which people will be paying real money for, you make a good job of it.

The new No 1 Lounge in South is going to be huge (I have been inside the building site) and I get a feeling that a lot of BA pax will prefer it to the new Galleries facility. If you are in a group, you will be able to book a Club Room which is basically your own private lounge with waiter service - anyone paying cash for CW or F would find the marginal cost of this peanuts for the extra service.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
I suspect No.1 maintained a stance that it is principally a pay to use lounge and that unless BA were willing to cough up significantly more to cover the loss from those that they turn away, No.1 wouldn't agree to lift that rule.

The fact is, pay at the door customers are more valuable to No.1 than you or any other BA passenger is, which is evident when No.1 will not reserve capacity. Pay on the door rate is £5 more than the pre-book rate.
At LHR T3 No 1 turn away PP card holders and pay on the day punters in favour of CX, AY and other airlines paying for their PAX.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Deanog1976
First world problem I know but I've gone from booking a birthday trip to VCE in May with Mrs G expecting to be sitting in the First lounge and us both having as much Tattinger as we like to start our trip off to having to pay if we wish £8 a glass......

Quite frankly I don't think it's good enough.......
Exactly! You expect that because BA.com leads you to believe it!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
There seems to be a lot of moaning on here from people who have never been in the No 1 Lounge.

Let's clarify a few things :-) The BA Gatwick lounges were a dump with a pathetic food offering. No 1 is one of the best third party lounges you will visit - because, shockingly, when you are creating something which people will be paying real money for, you make a good job of it.

The new No 1 Lounge in South is going to be huge (I have been inside the building site) and I get a feeling that a lot of BA pax will prefer it to the new Galleries facility. If you are in a group, you will be able to book a Club Room which is basically your own private lounge with waiter service - anyone paying cash for CW or F would find the marginal cost of this peanuts for the extra service.
I would agree to a point but the free booze selection in No 1 lounges is quite poor even compared to the Galleries Club at LGW and laughable compared to the LGW Flounge.

It isn't as if the No 1 lounge will be any less busy than the railway waiting room ambience of the former LGW BA lounges either. The MYlounge offering looks particularly poor.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by Raffles
It's not for want of trying!
Every time I've flown from Gatwick I've tried to enter the No1 lounge with my PP and EVERY time I've been denied, so have ended up in the "shabby" BA lounges.
At least in a couple of weeks time when I fly again from LGW I surely can't be denied access as I'll be on BA metal in CW....

I go there with an open mind. The "my lounge" I find quite nice, better than the Aspire downstairs, but at least the Aspire does bacon butties in the morning
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
That's a positive ^

Now what's the champagne situation in MyLounge?
I'm not even sure if they have the option of buying champagne!

To be honest, I didn't find it that easy to get champagne in the old BA lounge at Gatwick. It was so busy and finding a free member of staff to get it for you wasn't easy. I suspect that's why BA aren't offering what CX/AY currently offer at the LHR T3 No 1 lounge. There are just far too many BA passengers at Gatwick that it would be prohibitively expensive to make easily accessible champagne available (though they could have perhaps made some allowance for F/GCH passengers).

It would be interesting to know how many bottles of champagne were opened per day in the old BA club lounge. I suspect not that many considering the number of passengers.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
It's not for want of trying!
Every time I've flown from Gatwick I've tried to enter the No1 lounge with my PP and EVERY time I've been denied, so have ended up in the "shabby" BA lounges.
At least in a couple of weeks time when I fly again from LGW I surely can't be denied access as I'll be on BA metal in CW....

I go there with an open mind. The "my lounge" I find quite nice, better than the Aspire downstairs, but at least the Aspire does bacon butties in the morning
So the "shabby" BA lounges are better than the My Lounge and Aspire, or were you turned away from those with your PP too?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by SteveF
So the "shabby" BA lounges are better than the My Lounge and Aspire, or were you turned away from those with your PP too?
My lounge is good for a quick pit stop, it's akin to a coffee shop, so if that's what you're after it's better than the BA lounge as it's fresh and modern.
Aspire although a renovated one it is dreary, I'd rather take the shabby BA and daylight over the depressing Aspire.
Never had issues with PP in either and that's after getting turned away from No1.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
My lounge is good for a quick pit stop, it's akin to a coffee shop, so if that's what you're after it's better than the BA lounge as it's fresh and modern.
Aspire although a renovated one it is dreary, I'd rather take the shabby BA and daylight over the depressing Aspire.
Never had issues with PP in either and that's after getting turned away from No1.
Thanks for the update ^. I'll probably try one of those those in June when I'll be there with 2xPPs (each with a free guest) and 4 guests .
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
At LHR T3 No 1 turn away PP card holders and pay on the day punters in favour of CX, AY and other airlines paying for their PAX.
I would suspect that's largely down to the type of passenger each airport serves. With this only being a temporary facility for BA, it probably wasn't worth paying the extra to No.1 to take preference over their passengers.

Before BA moved into the No.1, it was frequently full with those flying the likes of easyJet, who are as we know the biggest player in the North Terminal... it's probably worth keeping it open to on the door punters as there's that many of them.

Another detail to note, anyone flying with Thomson long haul in their Premium cabin can also use the No.1 lounge, their 787 Premium cabin has 48 seats and they generally have a fair few flights out in the first morning wave, and that is a long term arrangement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.