Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA Gatwick lounge closure

I will be flying out on Jan 3rd....phew !
Hopefully, there will still be some bubbles left ?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I will be flying out on Jan 3rd....phew !
Hopefully, there will still be some bubbles left ?
Annoyingly, we arrive on the 3rd and head straight for LHR.
By the time we get back, it seems it will be whatever happens in the No 0.1 Lounge
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: BA
Gatwick, No First Lounge/Galleries 2016

Having spoken to the cabin crew on my return flight to Gatwick today.
I went up to the galley and spoke to them about the move to the South Terminal scheduled for November 2016. They said there is to be no first class lounge facilities for any customers even if traveling in first or Gold card holders.

This seems unrealistic, almost impossible however seems it could be true when speaking to the CSM and a person on twitter.

This is somewhat believable with the arrival of this new CEO and the cost-cutting tactics that have been implemented at Gatwick especially on the CSM roles.

Also considering that the First Galleries closes at 3PM to reduce the cost of staff manning the lounge as there are no aircraft that leave with a First Cabin after 3PM.

Having tweeted them directly, they responded,
"None of the plans have been finalised so we can't really say as yet. We will notify all of our Executive Club members as soon as we confirm our plans"

This somewhat suggests that it is not good news....
---
Does anyone know if this is true or just wrong speculation????

If I was to guess on this speculation I would bet that it will have a large Concord Bar similar to the ones seen in DXB, IAD, SIN. Designed by Graven Design Agency
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by wwoodhouse7
I went up to the galley and spoke to them about the move to the South Terminal scheduled for November 2016. They said there is to be no first class lounge facilities for any customers even if traveling in first or Gold card holders.
There will be some sort of provision specifically for First and Gold Card holders but it will be an area within the new lounge so that sounds more like the Concorde Bar concept. BA posted on Speedbird Club on 7th Dec (with the usual hyperbole ):

"It is planned that British Airways will take several places in the South Terminal to combine into a bigger lounge with better facilities than the current lounge.
The move provides British Airways with a fantastic opportunity to invest in a world class lounge for our eligible customers, adding more space and impressive views across the runway.
The new lounge has been designed with full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First and Gold Card holders"
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wwoodhouse7

This seems unrealistic, almost impossible however seems it could be true when speaking to the CSM and a person on twitter.

This is somewhat believable with the arrival of this new CEO and the cost-cutting tactics that have been implemented at Gatwick especially on the CSM roles.

Also considering that the First Galleries closes at 3PM to reduce the cost of staff manning the lounge as there are no aircraft that leave with a First Cabin after 3PM.

Having tweeted them directly, they responded,
"None of the plans have been finalised so we can't really say as yet. We will notify all of our Executive Club members as soon as we confirm our plans"

This somewhat suggests that it is not good news....
---
Does anyone know if this is true or just wrong speculation????

If I was to guess on this speculation I would bet that it will have a large Concord Bar similar to the ones seen in DXB, IAD, SIN. Designed by Graven Design Agency
I would be a little cautious with information from cabin crew regarding future ground facilities. Not because cabin crew are unreliable but because unless the crew in question have friends in the appropriate management team it seems to me that the information is not going to circulate throughout BA until it is almost ready for public distribution.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dptraveller
There will be some sort of provision specifically for First and Gold Card holders but it will be an area within the new lounge so that sounds more like the Concorde Bar concept. BA posted on Speedbird Club on 7th Dec (with the usual hyperbole ):

"It is planned that British Airways will take several places in the South Terminal to combine into a bigger lounge with better facilities than the current lounge.
The move provides British Airways with a fantastic opportunity to invest in a world class lounge for our eligible customers, adding more space and impressive views across the runway.
The new lounge has been designed with full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First and Gold Card holders"
Great spot!

Full quote

London Gatwick lounge renovation

08 Dec, 2015

Print
Rate this page: / 0.0
As part of Gatwick Airport’s investment plan, the British Airways First and Terraces lounges at Gatwick will close for building work on the evening of 04 January 2016.
British Airways premium customers will be able to use the No.1 Lounge for the duration of the closures and the No.1 Lounge will be extended in order to offer additional space for our customers.

The No.1 Lounge facilities

Open daily from 0400 to 2200
The No.1 Lounge is located in the CIP lounge area on the third floor on the North Terminal departure lounge
No.1 hosts will allocate customers to lounges based on capacity
New British Airways lounge facilities

It is planned that British Airways will take several places in the South Terminal to combine into a bigger lounge with better facilities than the current lounge.
The new lounge has been designed with full kitchen facilities and an exclusive area for our First and Gold Card holders.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dptraveller
".... and an exclusive area for our First and Gold Card holders"
What is the "First Card" ?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Obviously the BAEC card with the sequence/membership number 001
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
C-W-S' mug?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I guess BA will put up a notice on their website when the current lounge closes in a couple of weeks to remind passengers of the move to the No1 lounge, for the best part of a year. I have two forward bookings in January and March showing First lounge as an option on my flight itinerary (one just booked on Sunday night!!).
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
So will there be any enhancements for BA Silver/Golds in the No.1 lounge i.e. complimentary Champagne/Meals that you now pay for in the No.1 lounge?

Last edited by Deanog1976; Dec 21, 2015 at 1:58 am
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by Deanog1976
So will there be any enhancements for BA Silver/Golds in the No.1 lounge i.e. complimentary Champagne/Meals that you'll now pay for in the No.1 lounge?
I wouldn't hold my breath. I've never seen enhancements at other contract lounges in outstations.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
If the move slips we could be without a BA lounge at Gatwick for over a year.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
when the move slips we will be without a BA lounge at Gatwick for over a year.
Fixed a couple of typos in your post.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
So as a CE passenger with no OW status, will my visit to this No 1 Lounge be complimentary when the BA lounge is out of commission? Just looking ahead as I will be passing through LGW maybe once a month starting in late January 2016.

Anyone have experience with this Lounge they care to share?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.