Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; ITA Platinum; HH Gold
I will be there this Saturday morning and early afternoon as I do a Jersey/Marrakech TP run for my remaining flights to be Gold. Hoping it's a decent enough lounge and space available...
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
I'm at the ba lounge at Gatwick and they've just opened the doors for the final time.
Some confusion earlier among those waiting about whether they were open at all - i.e., whether 'we close on Jan 4' means in the morning or evening. The sign in the no 1 lounge is clearer, as it states from Jan 5 they will welcome BA guests.
Will pop in to first lounge in a bit for old time's sake. Won't have time for a bacon baguette, sadly.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Hope there's a photocall for the final day....!!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
One curious, or rather sad detail: there is no wifi this morning. When you try to log on - with the old or new password - it tells you the account has expired.
Sniff!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
1. Dreadful "Fast" track security at LGW today... one scanner working and a queue out the door

2. But nice to have a chat with the FLounge guardians about the "last day" and also to have my final bacon baguette

3. And my flight is currently showing as on time...

2 out of 3 ain't bad
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by njf63
1. Dreadful "Fast" track security at LGW today... one scanner working and a queue out the door

2. But nice to have a chat with the FLounge guardians about the "last day" and also to have my final bacon baguette

2 out of 3 ain't bad
Also we have the luxury of an airbridge this morning. Almost a premium experience
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Does anyone know what is happening to the space presently occupied by the BA lounges? Another priority pass or equivalent lounge?

Edit: Oh, VS are moving North at the same time, aren't they? So probably VS lounge.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Does anyone know what is happening to the space presently occupied by the BA lounges? Another priority pass or equivalent lounge?

Edit: Oh, VS are moving North at the same time, aren't they? So probably VS lounge.
Would that dinky little space suffice for them?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by njf63

2 out of 3 ain't bad
The "Premium" security lane is a joke and I use standard security 90% of the time for early morning flights. I hope when the move to the South terminal is complete the fast track security improves.

I'm flying out of LGW on Wed and again next Monday and can report on the No. 1 lounge experience.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by XCstud
The "Premium" security lane is a joke and I use standard security 90% of the time for early morning flights. I hope when the move to the South terminal is complete the fast track security improves.
South is (currently) better in this respect, they have 3 entry channels, Premium Gatwick / Assistance + young families / Normal - and they are bunched together, whereas in normal operation North Premium is some distance from the two main entry points. [Off peak North Premium can be opened to the side of the nearest main entry points and that's better in a way since you can just jump to another channel if necessary]. I've also mainly given up on North Premium until the Emirates services have left.

South has all its entry in one big hall with partitions, rather than 3 separate halls, so that gives them more flexibility.

Generally I find LGW security quite fast, North Premium sometimes excepting, they do manage the queues quite actively.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
The F lounge must not have closed for good a short time ago (15:00). Did any pax set fire to the 'lounge closed' sign as they left?! lol.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD
First complaint coming in on Twitter

First complaint about BA Lounge closure coming in on Twitter from someone travelling on 6th Jan - 2 Silver card holders promised friends lounge access and now BA tweet back probably not in No1.

I suspect the first of many comments on social media.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: QF WP, SQ & VA Gold, IHG Spire AMB, HH Diamond + BA, AA, CX
No doubt someone will find out tomorrow, or shortly after but...any idea whether No1 will be restricting access, as in turning away pax at the door if the lounge gets too full? 2x of us flying CE shortly, 1x OWS too - don't know whether I'll need to bother paying the fiver to pre-book and ensure entry.

I've only used No1 once, at LGW South (was flying VS, in Y, no status) - accessed with Lounge Club, but has the foresight to pre-book, just in case - was glad I did, as they were turning everyone away at the door (well, there was a queue and they were taking phone numbers to let people know when there was a space). Curiously, they weren't strict on the 3 hour limit then, which was nice as I was delayed...this was a Saturday, though, upcoming flight is midweek.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
To the people with power: now that the lounges are closed is it worth having a new thread about our experiences in the new lounge?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I’d certainly encourage a new thread where we can share our experiences as BA passengers using the No1 Traveller Lounge. Perhaps, though we should keep this thread open to those who wish to lament the disappearance of BA’s own lounge provision at LGW and also post news updates of the replacement facility at Gatwick South.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.