Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Fixed a couple of typos in your post.
Usual Military analysis is ... double the cost and double the timescale. Seems to work quite regularly
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
I think the key question relates to whether getting lounge access is a privilege (space available) or a right. My concern is it is really 'space available' and therefore when the space runs out, it isn't going to be available. The thought does not appeal. I've never been turned away from a BA lounge on 'available space' grounds, even when it's been really busy. But maybe there is some sort of 'compact seating arrangement' coming into the extended No 1 Lounge. I'd quite like to know more about the 'rules and regulations' in advance!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess until 'whatever' starts operating, we are all plaiting fog.
THEN we can howl at the Moon

Not a happy prospect on the [limited] information available, but I'm not committing hari-kari just yet
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I predict, with confidence, that BA's lounge arrangements at LGW will feature on this site in January.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rubecula
I predict, with confidence, that BA's lounge arrangements at LGW will feature on this site in January.
Really?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
So as a CE passenger with no OW status, will my visit to this No 1 Lounge be complimentary when the BA lounge is out of commission? Just looking ahead as I will be passing through LGW maybe once a month starting in late January 2016.

Anyone have experience with this Lounge they care to share?

Thanks
It is better than a lounge that does not offer things such as champagne or eggs Benedict.

It is worse than a lounge that offers these items for free.

I found it very busy (with woefully underdimensioned toilet capacity) even at the time of my visit.

Originally Posted by ElleBeeTee
I think the key question relates to whether getting lounge access is a privilege (space available) or a right. My concern is it is really 'space available' and therefore when the space runs out, it isn't going to be available. The thought does not appeal. I've never been turned away from a BA lounge on 'available space' grounds, even when it's been really busy. But maybe there is some sort of 'compact seating arrangement' coming into the extended No 1 Lounge. I'd quite like to know more about the 'rules and regulations' in advance!
Will be particularly interesting to learn whether "no available space" equates to "no available space unless you pay".
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton, Lufthansa, Skywards, Sofitel, IHG
"It is better than a lounge that does not offer things such as champagne or eggs Benedict.

It is worse than a lounge that offers these items for free.

I found it very busy (with woefully underdimensioned toilet capacity) even at the time of my visit."

Make sure you check the Wiki for others that are willing to sign you in

Last edited by ElleBeeTee; Jan 1, 2016 at 10:32 am Reason: update
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I thought we might have heard some reports from FT travellers about the situation at Gatwick…have the BA lounges closed yet..? How crowded the No1 Lounge is…?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I thought we might have heard some reports from FT travellers about the situation at Gatwick…have the BA lounges closed yet..? How crowded the No1 Lounge is…?
Thought we might have heard something definite from BA as well by now!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
You're 2 days early I think - wiki says close on 4th. Should be interesting in 48 hours time. Who's in charge of the popcorn?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by gcuk
Thought we might have heard something definite from BA as well by now!
I had rather thought the same. The imminent closure is confirmed via lounge location search on oneworld.com but nothing that I can see on BA.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA235
I had rather thought the same. The imminent closure is confirmed via lounge location search on oneworld.com but nothing that I can see on BA.
It's on their Gatwick page:
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...london-gatwick

British Airways' customers are invited to use Gatwick’s No 1 Lounge from 5 January 2016 as the current British Airways lounge will be closed for building work. A new British Airways lounge will open in the South Terminal and details will be announced closer to the time of opening.
Unfortunately MMB for LGW services still gives the old information about the Lounge Pavilion.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
The OneWorld lounge finder still lists the BA lounges, but notes "British Airways’ customers are invited to use Gatwick’s No 1 Lounge from January 2016 when the current British Airways lounge will be closed for building work.". As if they will ever reopen!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Is there a link anywhere to show us what's available in the No1 lounge? I was hoping for something hot on the morning before I fly to Valencia on the 15th.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I will be there next Sunday morning so can find out. No further details from BA yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.