Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Two routes will be moving to LGW South ahead of the formal move date.

from 11 January 2017: BA2273 will depart for JFK out of the South Terminal
from 12 January 2017: BA2272 will arrive into the South Terminal from JFK
from 19 January 2017: BA Naples flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal
Customers on these flights should check in at Zone A within the South Terminal

from 25 January 2017: all other BA flights will operate in/out of the South Terminal.

The BA First and Terraces lounges in the North Terminal closed on the evening of 04 January 2016. BA passengers can now use the No.1 Lounge and My Lounge in the North Terminal until the date BA moves its operations to the South Terminal (currently estimated to happen in November 2016), where there will be a new British Airways lounge. The new British Airways lounge in the South Terminal is anticipated to follow the latest concept found at EDI, GLA, IAD, CPT and SIN, and will include a dedicated area for First and oneworld Emerald passengers. It is not yet clear what form this area will take (ie. whether it will be a separate First lounge or include a Concorde Bar/Dining concept). For more information, see here and here

For information on the temporary lounge arrangements in LGW North, see this thread:
Temporary BA Lounge at LGW North - No. 1 Lounge - Photos, reviews, questions
By way of guidance, the above Lounge thread is for direct questions and experiences on the No. 1 lounge, whereas the thread here below is suitable for discussing the broader issues arising from the move to South.
Print Wikipost

BA to move to LGW South Terminal Nov 2016 [revised to 25 Jan 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm quite astonished by how bothered you are about the champagne thing.
It does seem that the lack of champagne is a major issue for some people.

As far as I'm concerned the main thing is to be able to grab a bite to eat and relax a bit before the flight. The latter may be a problem, but as for the food, the offering in the No. 1 Lounge doesn't really look that bad at all. If you're booked in business or First there will be enough bubbles on the airplane.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am afraid I have to take issue with calling the previous offering a dump. I read it this morning, and still feel that is so far off the mark that I need to say something.

I agree that No. 1 is a perfectly acceptable alternative, particularly if considered "in the round". I've given what I consider is a balanced to positive report upthread, and I'll be using the lounge on future visits. But the previous Flounge and Club lounges were not dumps, they were reasonably up to date, with good catering options. I prefer them to No. 1 and if given the choice I would go back there in a shot. I guess some people will prefer No. 1, it's essentially a leisure / holiday facility, with good facilities for families (e.g. sets of seats for 6 or 8 people travelling together, background uptempo music, the eccentric menu). But as a business traveller I'd go back upstairs without looking back, if that option was provided - far more comfortable and practical for someone who enjoys the BA product.

But it is a temporary arrangement and I look forward to seeing the new lounge.
Totally agree and very well said ^^
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by DELLAS
Totally agree and very well said ^^
I also agree. When I was Silver I used to like the J lounge and didn't get why people thought it was so awful. Subsequently as a Gold I liked the F lounge and didn't get why people thought that was so awful.

This year I will miss both but look forward to the new lounge in South. The disappointment for me is there'll be no additional provision for Golds with the new Concorde Bar concept. But like others I'll reserve judgment and fury until I see what's actually on offer, particularly in terms of food.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Whatever the lounge situation I am going to continue to favour LGW for my frequent hops to EDI. It's convenient enough from the city and typically has 'B/H' fares for a very reasonable rate. Obviously worse if you're flying long-haul but it is temporary. I remember the comedy temporary lounge when the new terminal at BOM opened and feeling most indignant at that plus the loss of a dedicated lounge but in the end they opened a gem of a lounge and it is all but a distant memory. May it be with so with Gatwick.

Last edited by rather_be_on_a_griffin; Jan 6, 2016 at 5:18 pm Reason: Clarified that I was not there for the opening of BOM...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
To supplement the positive post above, I'm actually quite excited about the new south terminal lounge, have always found the CC there excellent, and have a bit of soft spot for Gatters.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I'm quite astonished by how bothered you are about the champagne thing. Perhaps I've missed something, but where does BA promise complimentary champagne in J lounges anyway? There are *lots* of lounges in the network where it isn't available. In fact the LGW J lounge at times only offered cava.

I accept that the First lounges page on BA.com does mention champagne. You appear to be OWS so wouldn't usually expect that benefit based on status; have you perhaps made several F bookings from LGW for which you were expecting F access? If not, then I can't quite see why you're so royally p*ssed off about it.

Of far greater concern to most of us on this board is the potential overcrowding issue.

Much like a warm champagne, I think you need to chill dude.
I'm not quite sure why you're astonished really; you're promised something when you book and then they remove it without notice - I would say that's poor form.

I'm afraid you have missed it on their website so I've posted a link below where they mention champagne in their Business lounges.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/lounges/business-lounges

Yes - I'm OWS and so unless travelling First I use the Business lounge. I've booked cash tickets in J for my family in a few months at some considerable (personal) expense so I think I'm fully entitled to expect the product I paid for. That's why I'm annoyed. In all the times I used the lounge at Gatwick I was never given Cava - if I recall correctly it was usually Taittinger.

I don't deny that in the grand scheme of world events that no complimentary champagne in the lounge at Gatwick seems insignificant but we're all on this forum to discuss such matters so there would be no discussions at all if we applied that logic.

Regarding the warm champagne, chill dude quip (kudos on that one by the way), I suppose you don't know me personally so let me tell you that it is quite out of character for me to be so incensed about something. But BA took my money with promises of a premium experience and then stripped that experience down without informing me or reducing my cost proportionately. And it's yet another example of an aloof, arrogant BA attitude that they can continuously penny pinch and strip down their products without altering their pricing. Sneaking things in whenever there is an opportunity. Some people won't question that and maybe you're one of those people - but I'm afraid on this point, to me (and a few others on this thread) this seems one step too far.

Last edited by jp-mco; Jan 6, 2016 at 11:40 pm
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by FrancisA

Any BA lurker could quickly nip this PR disaster in the bud, before it gets off FT and into the tabloids.
And back in the real world... I really don't think many, apart from the frothiest of FTers, are going to get in such a lather over the absence of champagne. If you are an experienced traveller you will know that temporary lounge arrangements, with differing service standards, are part and parcel of the business.

The temporary lounge appears to offer a wider range of food and I'm sure in some respects will be better. But I fear many in this thread are determined to have a bad time - which is a pity.

NB On the issue of a special card, I really don't see how that would work. As we know from the grabby quarters of the forum, we would soon have a thread dedicated to the trade in such cards.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Well it solves a problem for me - I'm flying BA with my sister in March - me in Club, her in WTP, and I have no guesting privileges - so I was going to tell her to pay for No1 and I'd go upstairs for free and I'd see her on the plane - now we will both be in the No1 lounge.

I've used the No 1 previously and thought it was OK - weighing up the cost of using it against the potential spending in the shops and restaurants, and the relative P&Q of the lounge. I thought their buffet was good, the champers acceptable (it was only £7 a glass last year), but on a Saturday morning in mid May, it did have a fair few large family groups in there with all the screaming kids. Must make the effort to find the "Library" area this time.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
I think the withdrawal of champagne is unacceptable. Why they can't just give a voucher to each eligible passenger I do not know.

Indeed, it is the only thing left that differentiated BA versus the LCC.

Now it is the same lounge, same seating, cr@p catering (with no option to buy anything), hand baggage problems, old planes - Gatwick just sucks.

Having said that, just back from The Pier at CX in HK - if only BA were up that standard... BA is just turning into a cheaper version of AA.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
Having said that, just back from The Pier at CX in HK - if only BA were up that standard... BA is just turning into a cheaper version of AA.
Ah, but would you pay CX or DA fares as well? To give an illustration, not that there are many parallels between HKG and LGW, let's look at the HKG to TPE route, the one with the greatest competition, 500 miles, You will struggle to get a business class fare on CX for less than £800 return! Low cost carriers compete heavily on that route, so you can fly for £100 easily. But not in business class on Cathay.

Then take LGW-GVA, again considerable competition on that route, just under 500 miles, also easily can be flown for well under £100 return, but only one airline offers Business class and that's BA. Cheapest BA business class return, even with cabin monopoly, is £219.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 2:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
I think the withdrawal of champagne is unacceptable. Why they can't just give a voucher to each eligible passenger I do not know.

Indeed, it is the only thing left that differentiated BA versus the LCC.

Now it is the same lounge, same seating, cr@p catering (with no option to buy anything), hand baggage problems, old planes - Gatwick just sucks.
additional dishes are 4 pounds in N01 lounge
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
I’ve never seen either Gatwick lounge as anything other than functional, and so don’t spend a great deal of time there before a flight. I think they’ve been tight on the Champagne, but as a leisure traveling SCH, generally flying CE out of LGW, I think it looks pretty decent as a temporary arrangement. The lounges were never anything like LHR anyway, but hopefully the new one (with a larger kitchen ?) will be an improvement on the old Terraces one and this is only for a few months. I don’t tend to fly out of LGW much, and those routes are just for leisure so it won’t impact me as much as it will the regulars.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ah, but would you pay CX or DA fares as well? To give an illustration, not that there are many parallels between HKG and LGW, let's look at the HKG to TPE route, the one with the greatest competition, 500 miles, You will struggle to get a business class fare on CX for less than £800 return! Low cost carriers compete heavily on that route, so you can fly for £100 easily. But not in business class on Cathay.

Then take LGW-GVA, again considerable competition on that route, just under 500 miles, also easily can be flown for well under £100 return, but only one airline offers Business class and that's BA. Cheapest BA business class return, even with cabin monopoly, is £219.
Indeed. ^

Hence why these lounge comparisons are severely flawed. One has to look at the bigger picture.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
I guess we should just be grateful that BA didn't ask No. 1 to enhance their food offering to the standard previously offered in GC upstairs. No. 1 has better food, but unfortunately this is balanced out by the poorer alcohol provision with lower quality wines and the lack of free champagne. You win some, you lose some, but at least it wasn't all lose.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver

Fair point for short haul within Europe (although I would not classify the BA SH product as a comparable "business class" offering these days) - but long haul CW fares from LGW are hardly "cheap". I've had to pay £2-3K for a CW trip from LGW to Tampa etc. in the past - and to then be told to cough up an additional £8 for a glass of champagne is galling.

Why not charge for lounge wifi?
Why not charge for "premium bottled water"?
Charge for the food items?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.