Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Examples of Gold treatment in Y?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ShadowCaptain
Not even gold but on a recent SFO-JFK flight coming in delayed I had 'Mr SC would you like to come and sit up front (1A) as I see you have a tight connection'. Needn't have bothered as the jet bridge was jammed and took forever to open the doors. However judging by the comments from further back there were many others who had tight connections, so it looked like I won the p***ing match to ride shotgun. I thougt it was a lovely gesture and had a good bit of banter with the cabin and flight crew whilst waiting for the doors to open.
hehe, that's funny Did you get to sit up front for long?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by headingwest
hehe, that's funny Did you get to sit up front for long?
They moved me as soon as second service was done with. I did note that first was only half full (1F and all of 2 was free) and they could have moved others if they felt so inclined
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Actualy in CE, the service is from front to back, in seat row order. Cabin crew should not be flitting around picking out specific passengers. Status passengers do get the chance to choose the front row seats and therefore do generally benefit from first choice. Of course it would not be nice to be left out in a cabin like CE as everyone is sitting so close to each other and also uncomfortable for the status passenger that is receiving priority.

Even on longhaul, although status passengers are prioritised, the meal order should be taken row by row and then prioritised in the galley, for the same reason because prioritising people obviously infront of others is just not nice for those not prioritised.
Interesting. I flew AGP-LGW in CE about a year ago on an Avios redemption and distinctly remember the CC fawning over status pax and ensuring they got first choice of meals, while almost pointedly ignoring the plebs like me. Was so obvious that it stuck in my mind. Now that said, I had a good flight and was happy with the overall experience but it definitely felt like a class-within-a-class on that occasion.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by headingwest
Me too! and as BA0197 wrote, it costs next to nothing.
'Next to' is the key point. They enhanced the flower from the CW toilets (while not bothering to remove the flower holder). I'm guessing the flowers were introduced as a cheap way to add a premium feel to the toilets but then they realised over the many flights removing this would add up to a significant amount.

For the cards they'd have the cost of the card, extra time to prepare them and has to be reasonably reliable otherwise passengers will complain if they don't get one.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:06 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by layz
'Next to' is the key point. They enhanced the flower from the CW toilets (while not bothering to remove the flower holder). I'm guessing the flowers were introduced as a cheap way to add a premium feel to the toilets but then they realised over the many flights removing this would add up to a significant amount.

For the cards they'd have the cost of the card, extra time to prepare them and has to be reasonably reliable otherwise passengers will complain if they don't get one.
Let's do the math...

I've read varying estimates from 6-12,000 golds, someone mentioned a cost of .02 for card and pen. They take say on average no more than 20 long haul flights a year total including BA and OW carriers. Let's assume other frequent flyer OWE approx cancel each other out across airlines.

The higest possible estimate cost of doing this for top teir travelers on long haul flights £4,800

That means if it makes the difference between attracting 1 single CW traveller vs. a seat going empty per year. They would break even.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by BA0197
Such a brilliant example of customer service and retaining loyalty- all for the measly cost of £0.02. Can BA take note of this- or indeed anything, to enhance the experience of frequent flyers to make the experience more abnormal and personal to those of us that have to deal with the (in most cases) requirement of travel?
But 2p per passenger, with 70,000 GCHs, each taking say 30 flights a year, that's £40k, a chunk of someone's bonus!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Gold since mid-Nov and flown twice in CE (both times greeted personally and 'welcomed back' on BA metal. Then first experience in Y: Iberia. LHR-MAD, MAD-LEI and rtn (do four flights). As OWE no recognition at all from flight crew or gate staff.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Out of over 30 flights in the last few years on BA, I have been greeted twice by the cabin crew:

-As a BA Silver DME-LHR B747 My boarding pass showed LNCW and something else (AFAIK it means that this is my first flight in CW). CSD (or CSM) came mid flight,and congratulated me on my first flight in CW, and asked if I needed anything.

-As a RJ Platinum (OW Emerald) DME-LHR A321 in WT. When inspecting my boarding pass , CSD looked at it ,and said "Oh welcome back Mr Tamimi,joining us from emm ..emm Royal Jordanian". He came to me before take off,and asked if I needed anything,and offered to hang my jacket. When distributing landing cards,he also offered me a Fast Track invitation and a Arrivals lounge invitation. He came to me once again just before landing,and thanked for flying BA.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
First flight as a Gold on Sunday, albeit in W, and was given a welcome back by the excellent CSD on boarding and within half an hour of takeoff he was making his rounds with the personal greetings, including congratulating me on making Gold and having a nice short chat. I wondered if the Golds in front and across the aisle would be amused by my being a newbie. I wasn't embarrassed by getting singled out although only my wife was sat next to me to hear. She was just even given a "oh you've not quite made it yet" - she's a Silver, nice she wasn't ignored. He then headed down to Y with the iPad. I thought it was a nice touch and didn't find it cringey or embarrassing at all. Also got a "congratulations again and goodbye" on deplaning and even a warm smile and goodbye again when exiting the airport.

No special treatment onboard although I didn't request any, I nearly asked for some champagne from the front mind you!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by St Elmos Fire
First flight as a Gold on Sunday, albeit in W, and was given a welcome back by the excellent CSD on boarding and within half an hour of takeoff he was making his rounds with the personal greetings, including congratulating me on making Gold and having a nice short chat. I wondered if the Golds in front and across the aisle would be amused by my being a newbie. I wasn't embarrassed by getting singled out although only my wife was sat next to me to hear. She was just even given a "oh you've not quite made it yet" - she's a Silver, nice she wasn't ignored. He then headed down to Y with the iPad. I thought it was a nice touch and didn't find it cringey or embarrassing at all. Also got a "congratulations again and goodbye" on deplaning and even a warm smile and goodbye again when exiting the airport.

No special treatment onboard although I didn't request any, I nearly asked for some champagne from the front mind you!
I think I've read before that some Golds have been given champagne in economy.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
The CSD came around yesterday near the end of my LHR-SFO flight in Y and first spoke to the woman in the window seat of my row, then me, then someone else before heading back a bit. One person was complaining about the IFE not working properly - she took his details so maybe trying, or in line for some Avios.
Must have been at least 4 status passengers in the mini cabin.

Seemed full up front so nothing prior to that. At least the crew were smiling.

On a separate note, Avios and TPs were posted less than 3 hours after the flight (might have been sooner but I didn't have an internet connection at the time)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Flew to/from Calgary a couple of weeks ago. Was in row 27 on a LH 767, which in terms of Y service is the last to be served food as the rows are served in a pincer movement from the front and back simultaneously. Consequently was given a 'take it or leave it' option of the vegetarian dish on both legs. Wasn't fussed on way out but had a minor grumble on the way back and after a trip to the back then front, the crew member offered me one the of the CW meals instead and then as much wine/champagne as I could quaff. Not sure if it was because they looked at the passenger list or just good service, but nice nonetheless.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Myself and another GCH (whom I don't know, other than the fact that he was in the F lounge beforehand) were flying back SFO-LHR last week in Y and no CSD c/w Ipad visited either of us ;-)
On the other hand, we did get our meals out of sync with the "pincer movement", plus extra drinks dropped off without asking, perhaps some reflection of our status :-)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Flew to/from Calgary a couple of weeks ago. Was in row 27 on a LH 767, which in terms of Y service is the last to be served food as the rows are served in a pincer movement from the front and back simultaneously. Consequently was given a 'take it or leave it' option of the vegetarian dish on both legs. Wasn't fussed on way out but had a minor grumble on the way back and after a trip to the back then front, the crew member offered me one the of the CW meals instead and then as much wine/champagne as I could quaff. Not sure if it was because they looked at the passenger list or just good service, but nice nonetheless.
That is good service and good to hear ^
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
In terms of drink top ups... how does a GCH compare to outrageous flirting with the more.. senior.. of the crew (male or female... if it gets Jack Daniels top ups.. I'm there!)

Worked very well with a very CBA FI-IGTRSA (I'm going to retire soon anyway) WW crew on my last LH. She kept bringing more and more jack and coke. A guy next to me just looked on with disbelief - I shared one of the miniatures with him in the end as they didn't stop by his seat

I guess I'll find out on May 3rd with my first WT in a long time and first as Gold ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.