Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Presently in GF, seeing only bowls at the buffet, I asked one of the staff for plates. Her reply was "the bowls are what BA want us to display here"

Ordered a burger from the menu. Served on a nice plate, it was ^
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:46 pm

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 6:21 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
I checked the new crockery out today. They're quite shallow bowls, almost a cross between a bowl and a plate: a 'plowl'? They are decent sized, but smaller than the previous plates. Perhaps they are trying to reduce consumption. Despite the b!tching about the food, many passengers are happy to pile it up with Las Vegas buffet zeal.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:20 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by adrianjc32
I'm sorry but I'm really struggling to see any basis to this observation. I tasted the food myself a few days ago and it was fine. Any red meat dish in sauce could be referred to as "dog food" if one so wishes, it is however a rather unfair and untrue accusation. The solid buffet choices balanced with good to order choices in the menu give customers choices based on how quickly they would like to eat, which in an airport environment is important. The salads and soups are really good, the hot dishes are great, the tartlet really nice. The fish cakes are really generous with good chucks of fish in them (not all just blended up).
Oh Sugar - you know that a little sensationalism never goes amiss when you do not like something. I read about disgusting burgers and my HI loves them - I do not approve of him ordering then but my name is Pucci not Tootsie.

What does irritate me considerably is why are there no Daily Telegraphs? Can you answer that? PM me if you have to as I'd love to know what the rationale behind this can be.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What does irritate me considerably is why are there no Daily Telegraphs? Can you answer that? PM me if you have to as I'd love to know what the rationale behind this can be.
I did ask, and the answer I got was that the Telegraph has altered their profile of "bulk distribution", shifting more to subscription based policies. Therefore BA get far fewer Telegraphs than before, and they end up in CCR. Flounge still gets The Times, FT, Independent, I, and the Wall Street Journal, plus overseas and the comics. The reason The Mirror is more visible is that they have made the opposite decision, increasing their "bulks". The Guardian has in recent years avoided "bulks" altogether.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
If BA and others agree to certain rules, then it is OK for Air Botswana top tier elite to use the lounges. To preserve access to its own premium members , perhaps BA needs to have another level that cannot be matched to any other airline.

I see "democrization" of the lounges as is being done in BOM's new terminal. ALL airline lonuges share a common facility under one roof. It will be interesting to see which way it goes.
Airlines will be able to save a lot by this concept. The lines which do not want this may stay away from an alliance as does EK.
I actually think it will go two-fold.

In certain cities such as LAX, LHR T4 (Skyteam) you will see alliance lounges where it makes sense - key market - no alliance member with a hub.

I think there will be more out of alliance deals --- ie. - EY/AB, AA/EY, QF/EK while at the same time things like earning EQMs while flying on alliance partners and lounge access will be paired back as well as mileage earning will be based much more on fare.

I wonder what EC would look like if the only way to earn TPs was flying BA/IB on their own metal - no code shares let alone alliance partners.

What would the lounge traffic be like at T4 if OW elites in Y didn't have access? Yet BA would still be getting the connecting traffic.

The entire alliance concept is coming up on 20 years old and IMO is running out of steam. With 787s and 380s and tactical code-sharing there is less need to have a rigid alliance structure.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I did ask, and the answer I got was that the Telegraph has altered their profile of "bulk distribution", shifting more to subscription based policies. Therefore BA get far fewer Telegraphs than before, and they end up in CCR. Flounge still gets The Times, FT, Independent, I, and the Wall Street Journal, plus overseas and the comics. r.
Good for you. What tosh (not you Darling - them). Their "bulk distribution policies does not prevent the Lounges getting them from W H Smiths direct.

I'm ringing the News Desk at the Telegraph and stirring this up with them. A little front pager from a paper with an axe to grind might sort out this nonsense. Call me an interfering trouble making cow if you will, but I'm just in the mood!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Good for you. What tosh (not you Darling - them). Their "bulk distribution policies does not prevent the Lounges getting them from W H Smiths direct.
True, unfortunately the minor issue of money then creeps into the equation. BA got those Telegraphs for free, that's the nature of Bulk Distribution, WH Smith may be less charitable.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:41 pm

True, unfortunately the minor issue of money then creeps into the equation. BA got those Telegraphs for free, that's the nature of Bulk Distribution, WH Smith may be less charitable.
Nevertheless the Snidest columnists in Fleet Street versus Britains Tightfistedest Airline would make for such a ruck. Far far more interesting that Salmon and Darling squabbling.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I actually think it will go two-fold.

The entire alliance concept is coming up on 20 years old and IMO is running out of steam. With 787s and 380s and tactical code-sharing there is less need to have a rigid alliance structure.
Alliances will remain. With 787 and 380s, they will need more pax to fill them up. Several alliance members will feed traffic to the "majors". Witness Air India into Star A. True AI is an international carrier, but India needs a host of other foreign carriers to pick up the traffic.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Alliances will remain. With 787 and 380s, they will need more pax to fill them up. Several alliance members will feed traffic to the "majors". Witness Air India into Star A. True AI is an international carrier, but India needs a host of other foreign carriers to pick up the traffic.
I agree they will remain -- my comment was they will have a less rigid structure:

- More exceptions for lounge access to alliance partner elites; instead of expanding lounges to accommodate partner elites - more restrictions. Just because you are an elite in the alliance - you may need to be flying in a qualifying cabin to get lounge access for the airline you are flying.
- Less mileage earning opportunities on alliance partners
- Less elite qualifying mileage/tier point opportunities on partners
- More focus on qualifying for elite status based on usage of host program metal
- More special market partnerships outside of the alliance

The alliances will still help with feed; but elites may no longer get as many perks when flying outside their home program
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by tmac100
FWIW, I bekieve the attitude of the OP should be shelved.! Master-servant attituse is too "old school' time of the Raj". OTOH, perhaps the OPs dogs get fed better than MOST of humanity.

I am just returning from the developing world and if any reader thinks I am being too negative to the OPs attitude .. well too bad. Nothing personal at all toward the OP - just toward the self-righteous attitude.

BA lounges are just fine - seriously they are. You should try a lounge while flying with Air Botswana ... no lounges for anyone. Not even Air Asia (rated as world's best LCC) has a lounge. BUT they do land safely :-)
A tad late on my part to be sure, but the phrase: " People in glass houses..." comes to mind after reading these comments about the OP's perceived holier-than-thou attitude...
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:52 am

Q not answered.
Earlier I asked if it is OK to take a used plate to the buffet in UK . My intent was to know so I do not offend the local citizens.
So is it OK ?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q not answered.
Earlier I asked if it is OK to take a used plate to the buffet in UK . My intent was to know so I do not offend the local citizens.
So is it OK ?
Absolutely fine, I suggest this one.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:39 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I did ask, and the answer I got was that the Telegraph has altered their profile of "bulk distribution", shifting more to subscription based policies. Therefore BA get far fewer Telegraphs than before, and they end up in CCR. Flounge still gets The Times, FT, Independent, I, and the Wall Street Journal, plus overseas and the comics. The reason The Mirror is more visible is that they have made the opposite decision, increasing their "bulks". The Guardian has in recent years avoided "bulks" altogether.
The Mirror was certainly very visible in the GC South and T5B lounges last Sunday afternoon. Stacks of copies.

Even the Mail was down to the last few available copies.

Last edited by V10; Aug 28, 2014 at 9:39 am Reason: added "afternoon"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.