Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
Q not answered.
Earlier I asked if it is OK to take a used plate to the buffet in UK . My intent was to know so I do not offend the local citizens.
So is it OK ?
Sure is. I've no idea why it may be illegal to take a used plate to a buffet, in which jurisdiction or on what grounds....local customs eh?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paul4040
I've no idea why it may be illegal to take a used plate to a buffet, in which jurisdiction or on what grounds....local customs eh?
QF cite health regulations when encouraging you not to bring back anything that's already been used.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Are those wanting plates making a comment as such on the feedback iPads every time they visit?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Globaliser
QF cite health regulations when encouraging you not to bring back anything that's already been used.
Same thing at buffets in many parts of the US.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:17 pm

Sure is. I've no idea why it may be illegal to take a used plate to a buffet, in which jurisdiction or on what grounds....local customs eh?
Not sure who are you aiming at. Me ?

I asked because earlier somebody advised others to use a used plate. Another person already did .
Old Aug 28, 2014, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
The italians don't eat these pastas with a knife and fork, they always have a spoon handy.
No need for a spoon. A fork is just fine for pasta!

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What does irritate me considerably is why are there no Daily Telegraphs?
Grrrrr. What amazes me is that there are heaps of DM's, which is the anti-Christ as far as BA is concerned. And the FTs disappear pretty quickly as well.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
Not sure who are you aiming at. Me ?

I asked because earlier somebody advised others to use a used plate. Another person already did .
It wasn't aimed at anyone, it was a genuine question asked out of complete ignorance.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:37 pm

It wasn'taimed at anyone, it was a genuine question asked out of complete ignorance.
Well anywherE in USA and Canada buffets require use of fresh plates. Ditto on cruise ships.
Surprised UK is otherwise.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
In the UK it is customary not to waste food. So if you realise you're not as hungry as you thought you should take your plate back to the buffet and put any uneaten items back in the appropriate trays. Of course this is only items that are totally uneaten such as whole sausages, bacon rashers, etc. Any partially eaten food is left on your plate by the buffet counter so it's easier for staff to take it away.

Obviously, don't try this at LHR where the many international guests don't know the custom but if you're staying in a hotel where the majority of guests are British following this tradition will show to the locals that you are trying your best to adapt to the local custom.

Those from Scotland may invite you outside to give your heed a good kicking. 'Heed' is Gaelic for a football (soccer ball).
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:11 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Originally Posted by Petrus
So we should settle for mediocre at best when it used to be excellent? GC used to be what GF is today, bar the a la carte and better champagne. The race to the bottom must be stopped.
I don't buy this argument at all. There clearly isn't a race to the bottom as you must well know. Suggesting so is plain misleading unless you are privy to BA's strategy of turning over GF to Admirals Club management.

This is about BA offering a reasonably competitive product to their customers such that those who actually make the purchasing decision will not be tempted to use other carriers. It isn't about offering 'excellent' food to those who (I suspect) have largely not paid for it personally. As long as the food is better, the drink is better and the room is nicer than GC (which is all beyond doubt or GF would be empty) BA is offering a benefit to its more frequent travellers. What is BA's incentive to do any more than this? I would say none.

Originally Posted by Petrus
Finally, there are many high value FF's which do not have CCR access which appears to be what you are implying. They are stuck in GF, despite hitting anything between 2500 to just under 5000TP per year.
I think our definition of high value probably differs. Any individual spending £50k+ pa with BA is very likely to have a CCR card. If they don't then they are likely buying fully flex tickets which are generally purchased on corporate accounts meaning BA couldn't give a toss whether the passenger likes GF or not as they don't have much of a say in the matter.
There certainly is a race to the bottom and it becoming painfully obvious to those of us flying BA.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:09 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 6:19 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

No sign of the main course sized bowls in the GF Refectory this morning. Plates have returned.

I managed to fashion together a decent enough hot brekkie for myself. Hash browns crisp without being chewy; scrambled eggs are what they are but with a dab of English mustard they were perfectly acceptable.

Talk of declining standards is a bit over egged
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by layz
In the UK it is customary not to waste food. So if you realise you're not as hungry as you thought you should take your plate back to the buffet and put any uneaten items back in the appropriate trays. Of course this is only items that are totally uneaten such as whole sausages, bacon rashers, etc. Any partially eaten food is left on your plate by the buffet counter so it's easier for staff to take it away.

Obviously, don't try this at LHR where the many international guests don't know the custom but if you're staying in a hotel where the majority of guests are British following this tradition will show to the locals that you are trying your best to adapt to the local custom.

Those from Scotland may invite you outside to give your heed a good kicking. 'Heed' is Gaelic for a football (soccer ball).
I've spent the last 53 years in the UK and not once have I come across this "custom", and I would be disgusted if I did!

Edit; Just realised you weren't being serious!

Last edited by indianwells; Aug 29, 2014 at 3:36 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
No sign of the main course sized bowls in the GF Refectory this morning. Plates have returned.

I managed to fashion together a decent enough hot brekkie for myself. Hash browns crisp without being chewy; scrambled eggs are what they are but with a dab of English mustard they were perfectly acceptable.

Talk of declining standards is a bit over egged
Glad to hear this. ^ Will get the chance to confirm in a few weeks.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
[SIZE=1]
There certainly is a race to the bottom and it becoming painfully obvious to those of us flying BA.
Perhaps you could enlighten the rest of us:

a) where the bottom might be;
b) who is participating in the race;
c) what prize the winner receives;
d) whether repeating trite clichés is useful in any sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.