Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:38 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

Admittedly I haven't been to the F lounge apart from during breakfast time for a while, so I cannot comment on whether the food is any good or not. But isn't there usually pretty decent fruit and salad on offer?
I have to admit, I do enjoy the Breakfast but rarely fly so early enough as I usually transit through GLA. The Egg(s) Benedict is delicious. With a wee side of bacon and/or black pudding.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:57 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by onobond
The ingredients for scrambled eggs nowadays comes in 5 liter plastic containers and do actually contain eggs and milk, but no cream. Xantan gum and modified corn starch together with yet another 3-7 additives with E-numbers makes this product storable in room temperature. Poured into a form it's baked in the oven. Before serving the pudding-like product is homogenized with a blender tool for the soft chopped-up Moomin appearance, bearing no resemblance to the creamy consistency of real scrambled eggs.

Made to order eggs, be it omelette or scrambled/poached/fried for me too !

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/egg.../scrambled.htm
scrambled eggs need neither milk OR cream.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
*proper* scrambled eggs need neither...

Mass catering versions, where you try to pad out the egg with other cheaper ingredients, are another matter
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Meanwhile, a few hundred metres away in another OW airline lounge (QR LHR T4) their Premium Lounge Dinner Menu - which I have had the pleasure of sampling twice in the past four weeks (excellent on both occasions) - includes the following:

Soup (4 different varieties)
Veal Milanese
Lamb Provencale
Steak Frites
Quinoa Salad
Caesar Salad
Traditional Roast Chicken
Line Caught Sea Bass
Thai Laksa Rice
King Prawn Linguini
Teriyaki Glazed Chicken
Chicken Biryani
Vegetable Biryani

plus a fabulous bar where, if the huge selection of spirits and cocktails doesn't tempt you, there are champagnes (4 no.), white wines (5 no.), red wines (4 no.) and dessert wines (2 no.). Not forgetting the salad and dessert bars.

This lounge is open to both QR's F and J passengers (non-status BA J passengers can't even access the LHR T5 GF lounge). It certainly gives the CCR, never mind GF, a run for its money.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss

Agreed!! The recipe below uses butter, eggs, creme fraiche and salt. Mrs PtF and I swear by it; especially when served with either kippers or smoked salmon:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...scrambled-eggs
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Petrus
Take a look at this thread, it gives a good idea of what T5 lounges offered 3 years ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rspective.html
I've gone through those photos, and I'm struggling a bit to see what is different, at least in a negative sense. GC now offers vegetarian / mushroom paninis as well as bacon mini bagettes; GF's breakfast is now more extensive than in those photos, as is the salad bar. The cakes and desserts are vastly better than 3 years ago, well there wasn't a photo to take then. The new fishcakes fly off the buffet. The amount of food consumed in GF is approx 25% higher per person than 2 years ago, so something isn't computing here. Incidentally there was never a halcyon period when GC offered hot food all day - and arguably with the porridge and soup there is more hot food coverage than before.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
.Incidentally there was never a halcyon period when GC offered hot food all day - and arguably with the porridge and soup there is more hot food coverage than before.
Are you sure? When I was silver (I turned gold a few months before BS) I could get hot food from the GC lounge whenever I was there whether it was afternoon or evening.

Perhaps there was a time between breakfast and lunch where food wasn't served but most of the day you'd be fine.

GF has fared better. Ok this update hasn't been the best but it's still better than when they first took over. I do like the fishcakes and the cold pies (although most people would prefer them warm so seems a little odd).
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by layz
Are you sure? When I was silver (I turned gold a few months before BS) I could get hot food from the GC lounge whenever I was there whether it was afternoon or evening.
Contractually there was no change, and food was cleared away after lunch. However the previous operator had a slightly different approach, if there was hot food unused at 15 hrs it would be left, so if you arrived at 16 hrs you may find some things still on the hot plates. Or not, as the case may be. Whereas now BS take away food on the dot of 15 hrs. The new contract specified an afternoon tea component, but both contracts said hot food resumed at 18 hrs. Soup was and is available all day after 12 hrs.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Meanwhile, a few hundred metres away in another OW airline lounge (QR LHR T4) their Premium Lounge Dinner Menu - which I have had the pleasure of sampling twice in the past four weeks (excellent on both occasions)

This lounge is open to both QR's F and J passengers (non-status BA J passengers can't even access the LHR T5 GF lounge). It certainly gives the CCR, never mind GF, a run for its money.
Agree entirely. The QR lounge at T4 is great and is certainly better than GF. T4 is of course a dump.

The VS clubhouse in T3 is also generally excellent and is better than GF IMHO.

Yet despite there being better alternatives at LHR from airlines covering many of the same destinations as BA, BA continues to operate as one of the most profitable airlines in the world. There is no reason, or incentive, therefore for BA to offer "excellent" food in GF. What is there is good and seems, more importantly, to be "good enough".

And if the OP doesn't like it then you are very welcome to buy a ticket on VS or QR.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

Which also means QR's LHR lounge is not open to economy status passengers. I'm sure BA could offer much more and still save if it were to exclude this considerable group from the GF lounge too.

I don't think we can have it all, there are few lounges that offer as much as GF for potentially so little (eg a domestic one way ticket). The only one I can think of is CX's First lounge, but see that might be slightly better protected from the volume of low cost tickets BA is exposed to on European and domestic routes.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Mrs CC would to go up to GC and get the curry then join me downstairs for drinks, she refused to eat the food in the FIRST lounge. The food in the FIRST lounge is not a good customer experience first impression. In fact I could say it's cr*p! I could even say the lounge now feels past it's sell buy date. Toilets, food, general space are not what they should be for a FIRST class lounge.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Contractually there was no change, and food was cleared away after lunch. However the previous operator had a slightly different approach, if there was hot food unused at 15 hrs it would be left, so if you arrived at 16 hrs you may find some things still on the hot plates. Or not, as the case may be. Whereas now BS take away food on the dot of 15 hrs. The new contract specified an afternoon tea component, but both contracts said hot food resumed at 18 hrs. Soup was and is available all day after 12 hrs.
Ah so the food in the afternoon was effectively leftovers in GC when Compass had the contract?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If I found the lounge food to be as bad as it's described here, I'd be inclined to eat elsewhere and just get some drinks in the lounge, like I do at most third party lounges at an outstation.

Admittedly I haven't been to the F lounge apart from during breakfast time for a while, so I cannot comment on whether the food is any good or not. But isn't there usually pretty decent fruit and salad on offer?

I think the main issue that we miss out when we discuss the F lounge is that it is NOT an F lounge. It's an OWE lounge and it is not really designed to cater for F passengers. Therefore we cannot expect it to be catered for F passengers. Considering the high volume of traffic and the ease of getting OWE depending on the travel pattern, I'm really not surprised that the lounge is not top notch.
I agree with the sentiment and indeed I only ever have a drink and perhaps some cheese and crackers in the GF lounge I eat elsewhere, though I prefer it to the CCR. Chilli con carne is a very unwise food to be giving to pax who are soon to be on a sealed metal pressurised tube......
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I think our definition of high value probably differs. Any individual spending £50k+ pa with BA is very likely to have a CCR card. If they don't then they are likely buying fully flex tickets which are generally purchased on corporate accounts meaning BA couldn't give a toss whether the passenger likes GF or not as they don't have much of a say in the matter.
I would disagree with "is very likely to have a CCR card".

Flying in F at say £8K per ticket, you'd get around 3,000 tier points in 6 return flights. When I was flying into Joburg once a month at £4K per ticket, 12 flights would get me 3,360.

It is perhaps easier shorthaul - If you buy 80 CE tickets at £625 each you'd get 6,400 which would actually get you over the limit.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I think QR is able to deliver such a fantastic range of products from its London lounge because most of the passengers are paying for it with F or J longhaul tickets whereas GF and GC are catering for not only premium longhaul and shorthaul but loads of status holders on non-premium longhaul, domestics and short European flights, people on RFS flights etc etc

I almost wonder if BA needed to restore the former quality to its Galleries Club and First lounges, would it make sense to have a separate lounge for domestics (and perhaps the very short European flights) with a decent food offering but a much reduced and cheaper cost bar Ie. Beers, couple of reds and white wines, one champagne/sparkling. The savings can then be reinvested in keeping the existing flagship lounges quieter and of the standard they should be for the higher value longhaul customers. I would lose out if this change came about but realistically I don't need the bar offering to be what it is if I'm getting a 35min flight up north.

Last edited by nh1980; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.