Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ClubClassCowboy
The little boxed sandwich on-board Air Botswana is really nice - probably better than the EuroTraveller snackette.

WOW! Much nicer presentation than when I flew a year ( or 2??) ago.
WRT the bowls - maybe a side table offering "pho" should be considered by the caterer
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:29 pm
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite

I've fed feedback (see what I did there?) to CR far too many times about the state of food, amongst other things; Cleanliness, The attitude of staff, Poor Wines... in GF.

We can only do so much.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by antichef
... and some salad and breakfast cereal if you want
Might aswell

At my initial excitement of breakfast in a bowl, realised I'm actually there on Sunday, not Saturday!

Last edited by BDAgirl; Aug 25, 2014 at 2:34 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I find it paradoxical to ridicule the OP's comment as OTT by being just as hyperbolic as the post that is being criticised.

Sure, one can take the dog food hyperbole out but frankly, the current GF offering is the poorest that we have had this year by a long shot and this is not good at all. Gloop seems to be back in force and all "real" dishes from the made-to-order menu have disappeared essentially being replaced by various types of sandwiches and not-very-well crafted "comfort food".

If one forgets the style for a second and focuses on the substance, I find his criticism and disappointment largely justified and can only hope that the Autumn menu will be a step above the current one.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:32 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rxfleming
I've fed feedback (see what I did there?) to CR far too many times about the state of food, amongst other things; Cleanliness, The attitude of staff, Poor Wines... in GF.

We can only do so much.
I know you won't believe this. I nearly fell over with shock on Saturday. I entered Galleries First and the BaxterStorey chap immediately recognised me, before I had a chance to sit down he asked me if I wanted anything from the menu. My order was delivered with a smile, and he stopped for a chat which was very interesting.
My plates were cleared away promptly. I was offered seconds or anything else I wanted proactively.

If BA had bothered to send me a Golden Ticket since I became gold, it would have been a perfect use.

Somehow this guy had missed the memo to avoid all eye contact and leave dirty dishes out for days.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by andset1191
I know you won't believe this. I nearly fell over with shock on Saturday. I entered Galleries First and the BaxterStorey chap immediately recognised me, before I had a chance to sit down he asked me if I wanted anything from the menu. My order was delivered with a smile, and he stopped for a chat which was very interesting.
My plates were cleared away promptly. I was offered seconds or anything else I wanted proactively.

If BA had bothered to send me a Golden Ticket since I became gold, it would have been a perfect use.

Somehow this guy had missed the memo to avoid all eye contact and leave dirty dishes out for days.
I've had that before. In T3 in my case, it's nice when it happens.

I've also had good service in T5 but I'm not sure whether they recognised me.

When you log in to BAEC do you see a link in the left sidebar to submit a golden ticket?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Petrus

Back on-topic: during my last visit two weeks ago in GF the scrambled eggs looked disgusting. Like something from a cheap canteen and likely industrial. IMO the scrambled eggs used to be decent no?

I'm afraid I find that volume-produced scrambled eggs are rarely decent. Some are just about OK but usually not particularly good, including the BA LHR lounge one.

Poached eggs to order tend to a better option.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:33 pm
Suspended

CX outsources their F Wing Dining in HKG to The Peninsula --- I believe AF has a partnership with Alain Ducasse.

Unless BS is being confined by the budget BA gave them - BA should consider getting a decent hotel group - even Hilton or Sheraton to take over the catering. The level of food one gets at the T4 Hilton or either Sheraton seems like it would be a step up, and perhaps both hotel groups would have the pride that their brand is associated with the food. Perhaps BS doesn't have much downside for its poor performance. They get paid by BA, they make their margin.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rxfleming

We can only do so much.
People have been complaining about T5 lounge quality on this forum for years. Here's a thread from 6 years ago when BS weren't even involved.

Strange how the same thing that people complain about also attracts praise from other users. Human nature I suppose.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Oh, come on: that's no substitute for the opportunity to post gratuitous abuse on an internet forum!
Lol. Can't please everyone 😉
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
People have been complaining about T5 lounge quality on this forum for years. Here's a thread from 6 years ago when BS weren't even involved.

Strange how the same thing that people complain about also attracts praise from other users. Human nature I suppose.
However I would say the level of complaints today has increased. I moved my TATL business from AA to BA circa 2004 when AA made massive cutbacks in service. Until about 2010 BA seemed to avoiding making cuts that were noticeable. The last several years it has seemed the planes aren't as clean, the lounge catering is a step down and onboard Club Kitchen has been more or less eliminated beyond chips and chocolates.

I used to also fly BA Eastbound to the Middle East and Asia -- it was equal or better to the seat options of the day JL, CX, QF -- today BA F is behind JL, CX and QF in seat product and in J CW is for sure behind JL, CX and some QR aircraft.

Is BA overall still good - yes. Have others passed BA by in hard product - yes. Have others stepped up the game with better lounges -- LH has its FCT/FCL which blows CCR out of the water and has really improved its SEN lounge concept; AF has stepped it up and so has LX in terms of lounge services. BA pioneered showers - but now that's fairly standard and more and more airlines have enough showers as opposed to a singular shower room.

Hiddy - I think overall in most places BA has been static or gone slightly backwards and the trouble is even the likes of AA with its new J seat have gone forward. I am now flying AA again TATL -- the service is a notch below BA but except for a few of the good seats on the 744s the AA J blows CW on 777s and 787s out of the water from a hard product standpoint.

And yes you even have folks on the SQ and CX boards complaining -- so your comment is a bit of a red herring.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Where are the photos?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:55 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY

But you don't even use GF HIDDY...
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:23 am

Take a look at this thread, it gives a good idea of what T5 lounges offered 3 years ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rspective.html

Agree entirely with elitetraveler. The cost cutting on all levels have and are becoming painfully obvious, even to old school BA supporters like myself. The insulting part is that they keep selling it as enhancements and improvements. It's a shame as I know several people personally and there are many others that really put us the customers first.

Apologies for OT post.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I was in Flounge a couple of Fridays ago and the lounge looked like a bomb had gone off in it. The plates had been replaced by bowls, and the large containers of chilli and curry and so forth were well in evidence. I had fishcakes, potatoes and mange tout which was actually very nice, but my overall impression was that it was very difficult to mix and match the individual offerings into something substantial as a meal.

I also had a cold chicken pie. It was nice, but should have been hot. The steak pies were always excellent but have disappeared. The pork belly was also very good, but again has disappeared.

As for Petrus' comment I agree totally. I noticed it when I last travelled in CW and the little after dinner chocolates had been enhanced away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.