Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Prospero
No sign of the main course sized bowls in the GF Refectory this morning. Plates have returned.

I managed to fashion together a decent enough hot brekkie for myself. Hash browns crisp without being chewy; scrambled eggs are what they are but with a dab of English mustard they were perfectly acceptable.

Talk of declining standards is a bit over egged
Plates are always out for breakfast tho. The point about bowls is that they appear after breakfast changes to the 'rest of the day' service, as I understand it.

And the comments about declining food quality/standards have also (mostly) been about the 'rest of the day' food.

Breakfast is pretty much ok (scrambled egg aside) in my view at least.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:28 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No need for a spoon. A fork is just fine for pasta!

I respectfully disagree. I think it looks lazy when people eat with just a fork. That's how people end up with half their food all over the table.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I respectfully disagree. I think it looks lazy when people eat with just a fork. That's how people end up with half their food all over the table.
You only need a spoon for long pastas, short pastas are fine with a fork. Maybe penne is a little awkward but fusilli is perfectly fine.

What annoys me is when they mix the wrong pasta with the wrong sauce.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
I've worked here for a long time and whilst I accept that there were some teething issues with the switch in lounge caterer I am confused by your assertion of a "race to the bottom". I'm just not sure what this is based on?
Race to the Bottom --- I wouldn't agree with that - but I would say treading water/slipping behind

- NF: Unless they saved tons of money by recycling the bones of Old F it has basically been ZZZ -- in fact I find the leg rest and side shelf space inferior to Old F. In the meantime SQ, QF, JL, NH, CX, TG, EY, EK, LH, LX, MH, TAM have made more significant upgrades to their F product.

- Club Kitchen: Was great at launch -- get on a Westbound TATL and snooze three or four hours - wake up and grab a sandwich and fruit salad - do some work. On my recent flights it has been down to chips and chocolate. In fact AA's 77W mid-flight snacks are now better.

- Cleanliness of Planes -- When I left AA mid-last decade they had gotten to the points the planes were filthy. In fact I had several delays as the crew would not board the flight until cleaners had come back to re-clean. I now find virtually every BA flight crums on the seat - kleenex and papers stuck on the side.

- 30" pitch on CE -- although I haven't had a flight with it yet - IMO wrong direction

- Limited Bar on the Ground in F -- I used to be able to get a red wine of my choice - now the only offer is champagne.

- The lounges at LHR often seem to have plates and newspapers left out/uncleaned for extended periods

- The T5 shower rooms while much appreciated are a bit tatty compared to other airlines. Very pre-fab - they have a feel of being temporary

- The CCR toilets are very much like the above -- not very First Class

- Cabanas can't be accessed until 7am (when lots of flights arrive at 6am) and BA outsources the reservations function to a third party that sometimes leaves something to be desired.

- The CCR to C Pier experience or worse bus gates

- Devaluations of EC and the cash charges on redemptions

On the plus side the new EWR lounge is really nice and they have done a nice job upgrading the CCR at JFK.

A lot of the staff, particularly at JFK and EWR are excellent.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Plenty of plates tonight in GFT5.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On the subject of bowls ... our cat (sorry, The Cat) will not eat from her elegant square porcelain bowl if she can see the bottom of the bowl. It must thus be either shaken, stirred, or topped up.

Is there a psychological dimension to eating from a bowl, in that there is [visually] apparently yet more to come? Whereas a flat plate clearly indicates "It's going, and nearly all gone"? Thus the bowl-eater gets continuous satisfaction from what is before him, whereas the plate-eater sees the food clearly disappearing?

I shall go away now. Have a good weekend.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by visualAd
You only need a spoon for long pastas, short pastas are fine with a fork. Maybe penne is a little awkward but fusilli is perfectly fine.
Don't you just put a tine of the fork through the hole in the penne?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Boo, i liked the bowls. I may therefore be a dog, that is ok, i'll just bite anyone taking the last sausage.

Originally Posted by Prospero
No sign of the main course sized bowls in the GF Refectory this morning. Plates have returned.

I managed to fashion together a decent enough hot brekkie for myself. Hash browns crisp without being chewy; scrambled eggs are what they are but with a dab of English mustard they were perfectly acceptable.

Talk of declining standards is a bit over egged
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by jcm9000
Boo, i liked the bowls. I may therefore be a dog, that is ok, i'll just bite anyone taking the last sausage.
This evening you had a choice of plate or bowl. The plates were the most popular.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: American, United, Alaska, IHG Gold, Amtrak
I've been searching high and low for the 411 on BA and the UK. Thrilled to be visiting your lovely country for the first time this coming Jan. First time flying BA, CW over and F Back to the States. I must confess I'm sore from the great laughs on here. I'll remember to put on my collar before entering the Lounges in LHR, and will dazzle the locals in the countryside with my return it too the buffet knowledge. Brilliant, Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Eating anything other than spaghetti and long pastas with spoon makes you look like a child.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
- NF: Unless they saved tons of money by recycling the bones of Old F it has basically been ZZZ -- in fact I find the leg rest and side shelf space inferior to Old F. In the meantime SQ, QF, JL, NH, CX, TG, EY, EK, LH, LX, MH, TAM have made more significant upgrades to their F product.
^^ I'd quote the rest of your post, but don't like quoting long ones (but I agree with everything)

In GF last Saturday they had plates out for breakfast at least.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by layz
In the UK it is customary not to waste food. So if you realise you're not as hungry as you thought you should take your plate back to the buffet and put any uneaten items back in the appropriate trays. Of course this is only items that are totally uneaten such as whole sausages, bacon rashers, etc. Any partially eaten food is left on your plate by the buffet counter so it's easier for staff to take it away.

Obviously, don't try this at LHR where the many international guests don't know the custom but if you're staying in a hotel where the majority of guests are British following this tradition will show to the locals that you are trying your best to adapt to the local custom.

Those from Scotland may invite you outside to give your heed a good kicking. 'Heed' is Gaelic for a football (soccer ball).
Why do I feel one of my legs is a bit longer? Did you pull it ?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 4jaded
I've been searching high and low for the 411 on BA and the UK. Thrilled to be visiting your lovely country for the first time this coming Jan. First time flying BA, CW over and F Back to the States. I must confess I'm sore from the great laughs on here. I'll remember to put on my collar before entering the Lounges in LHR, and will dazzle the locals in the countryside with my return it too the buffet knowledge. Brilliant, Thanks
Well one certainly does learn a lot on this board, every day is a schoolday for me (to use another English turn of phrase). I wouldn't pack too much sun lotion for your visit, but I hope you have a good time, as well as in due course telling us - as well as the folks on the hill - all about it. Welcome to the BA Board.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:37 pm

I am but the messenger, do not shoot.

Here is, on behalf of jcm9000, the dog food bowl in Galleries First

He has assured me that it was quite tasty and I can assure you, having met him, that he is in fact not a canine.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:42 pm

Is that the cold chicken pie that has been added to the brown stuff? And are the lumps in the brown stuff fish or something else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.