Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by evanderm
I am but the messenger, do not shoot.

Here is, on behalf of jcm9000, the dog food bowl in Galleries First

He has assured me that it was quite tasty and I can assure you, having met him, that he is in fact not a canine.
I really must live in a parallel universe or something. Is this supposed to look nice?

Surely I can't be the only thinking that this looks vile. I don't mind that BA serves this sort of food to whoever thinks that this is OK, but it would be nice to have a hot option that doesn't resemble THAT!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Lose the green bits, throw in some rice and it'll be fine
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:32 am

That plate looks as if someones been throwing more than just rice
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
It is the portuguese chicken, loads of rice under the sauce, and i would never get a job in a restaurant as my presentation abilities are something akin to school dinners from the 80s. I blame the bowl.. Its all fuel and it does the job as the nutrients are certainly there. I know, how clinical of me, I sound like im trying to sell army ration packs... The cold pie was odd though, i have avoided to date, gave it a go and it really needs to be hot. Mackerel on the side simply for the good oils. I don't get wound up about presentation (obviously) as it all ends up in the same place (no not the dog's bowl...). Often in a hurry courtesy of lhr's inevitable holding pattern and security march of the zombies, so pile it on, spoon it in, go to gate.

I will say i would like to see more different dishes each day, not hard to give decent variety, its a gold level lounge and most must go through a lot. That chicken is easy for them to make (cauldron....), but perhaps some simpler dishes like baked chicken breast or pork cutlets with new tatties and veg wouldn't go amiss before a long flight.

Oh and i maintain i enjoyed it, it needs some chillies added to give it a kick, but i would (and have) had it again.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
...Talk of declining standards is a bit over egged
... which seems to be more than can be said for the scrambled eggs.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by DavidPM
... which seems to be more than can be said for the scrambled eggs.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mario
I really must live in a parallel universe or something. Is this supposed to look nice? ...
But what does it TASTE like?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
But what does it TASTE like?
Yesterday, on my nice large PLATE (bowls were on one side and plates on the other) I had some nice new potatoes, a couple of fishcakes and one of those pies.

The fishcakes were nice so I had another, this time joined with some of the potato salad and mackerel.

All good (I'm an odd person who likes cold pies) - the cheesecake also looked nice but the two helpings from the main course were enough for me.

All washed down with Taittinger Prelude - life is hard

I would like a bit more variety. There seemed to be more choice a few months ago but I'm still happy with what is there.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:03 am

Last edited by adrianjc32; Apr 2, 2017 at 6:18 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by gw76
That plate looks as if someones been throwing more than just rice
Yes, my first reflexion, was it was something waiting to be eaten , or the same in past tense
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
All this reminds me of a thread on another forum on a similar topic. As usual, the resident BA apologist/champion (subsequently barred from that forum, and I believe this one as well) charged into the fray explaining how the limited space at T5 and the restrictions imposed by HAL (no open flames, etc) made it almost impossible to do much more than they do now.

Well, you know what, I know of an industry which seems perfectly capable of producing multi-course meals, many of a very high standard, with meals brought to your table, for hundreds at a time, using tiny kitchens with no open flames and, in fact, only antiquated ovens and water heaters. The industry in question is, of course, the AIRLINE INDUSTRY.

If they can do all that miles up in the air, how come they are only capable of producing serve-yourself slop on the ground - unless, of course, you want a burger instead?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was in GF last week and was very unimpressed with the food offerings (after generally seeing an improvement over the past year).

In fact that was the first time I've used the iPads for feedback. The food is better than it was when BS first took over, but that's not an excuse for declining standards in my opinion. Some of us don't want all of our meals to be wading in sauce (with most of the meat/good stuff picked out by earlier diners).
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
I'm pleased to report that plates were in evidence at GF early Sunday morning, next to the hot breakfast buffet. I did use a bowl for my porridge and wished I hadn't. Steer clear of the porridge; it had the consistency and texture of wallpaper glue
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I shall investigate on Friday. Last time I was there I was quite impressed. It seems that standards have fallen. As long as there is Tattinger, I should be a happy boy. Although given that I have 6 hours or so, I hope the food is decent enough.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by stu1985
I shall investigate on Friday. Last time I was there I was quite impressed. It seems that standards have fallen. As long as there is Tattinger, I should be a happy boy. Although given that I have 6 hours or so, I hope the food is decent enough.
Leave some for me!

Might be on BA1338 that day. 6 hours is a long time (presumably a connection)? Have a wander through the tunnels to the 5B lounge (club only so no free pour champagne, but it's a change of scene and quiet), eat in the flounge first though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.