FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why bother with plates if what you're serving in GF resembles dog food anyway?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:28 pm
elitetraveler
Suspended

Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
If BA and others agree to certain rules, then it is OK for Air Botswana top tier elite to use the lounges. To preserve access to its own premium members , perhaps BA needs to have another level that cannot be matched to any other airline.

I see "democrization" of the lounges as is being done in BOM's new terminal. ALL airline lonuges share a common facility under one roof. It will be interesting to see which way it goes.
Airlines will be able to save a lot by this concept. The lines which do not want this may stay away from an alliance as does EK.
I actually think it will go two-fold.

In certain cities such as LAX, LHR T4 (Skyteam) you will see alliance lounges where it makes sense - key market - no alliance member with a hub.

I think there will be more out of alliance deals --- ie. - EY/AB, AA/EY, QF/EK while at the same time things like earning EQMs while flying on alliance partners and lounge access will be paired back as well as mileage earning will be based much more on fare.

I wonder what EC would look like if the only way to earn TPs was flying BA/IB on their own metal - no code shares let alone alliance partners.

What would the lounge traffic be like at T4 if OW elites in Y didn't have access? Yet BA would still be getting the connecting traffic.

The entire alliance concept is coming up on 20 years old and IMO is running out of steam. With 787s and 380s and tactical code-sharing there is less need to have a rigid alliance structure.