Wiki Posts
Search

Understanding GUF2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
The upgrade only applies to the BA flights, but it's not necessary for the whole trip to be on BA metal.
probably not a good idea to be posting this!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
On an already booked trip, if Avios availability in the cabin above was to become available, would it be possible to apply a GUF2/1? A friend seems to think this is the case, but I wasn't so sure...

Thanks!
in principle yes. all the details are in the thread i linked to just above your one
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
LHR to JNB, Jan 2019
Option 1Buy PE ticket via TA, use GUF1 to CW (exp Jul-18), cost c£1500, earn 28k avios (‘save’ £2000 vs CW price of £3500)
Option 2 CW Reward ticket via BA, use GUF1 to F, cost c£560 + 125k avios (‘save’ 45k avios)
Option 3 PE Reward ticket via BA, use GUF1 to CW, cost £560 +65k avios (‘save’ 60k avios)

I am aware of a potential ex-AMS fare at c£1500 but the convenience of ex-LON for this route is pretty hard to beat. I am not really considering this. I have sufficient Avios, but only just, to actually just book the reward tick in F at 170k avios, however this is my last opportunity to use this GUF1 and it has already had the 6 month extension. So really it comes down to a net difference in my avios account of either 93k (CW) or 153k (F), and £1000 more in my pocket. There are various pay more cash spend less avios options but this is too complicated already.

Of the options above what would you do?

cheers S

Last edited by snuffi; Jun 18, 2018 at 8:55 am
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Is a need to earn TPs a consideration?

And do you think you'd actually make reasonable use of an F ticket if you were to get one? We have sometimes wondered ourselves about the wisdom of flying F between LHR and JNB, when most of the flight in both directions will be spent asleep. With the best will in the world, it isn't quite the same as a day flight across the Atlantic.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is a need to earn TPs a consideration?

And do you think you'd actually make reasonable use of an F ticket if you were to get one? We have sometimes wondered ourselves about the wisdom of flying F between LHR and JNB, when most of the flight in both directions will be spent asleep. With the best will in the world, it isn't quite the same as a day flight across the Atlantic.
TP's not a consideration as I have gold until 2020 due to the IT meltdown. I suppose I could save this GUF1 to fly after my 2018/19 TP year-end (Feb) and do a TA booking, but really that is only a TP difference of 100-140 which can easily be made up.

I was actually just considering an Option 4 which was: CW out PE in Reward ticket via BA, use GUF1 to F out CW in, cost £500 +95k avios (‘save’ 52.5k avios)

This then allows CCR on the way out, and I definitely be more tired on the way back and just want to sleep plus no CCR in JNB anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am at a bit of a loss to understand pricing on a GUF2 and have never used one before. I am looking at price of £1667 to book WT+/CW on the BA site using a GUF2. If I book the same WT+ flight it only costs £1203. Why does the same flight cost £464 more when I use the voucher to upgrade to CW.

Any help appreciated
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I am at a bit of a loss to understand pricing on a GUF2 and have never used one before. I am looking at price of £1667 to book WT+/CW on the BA site using a GUF2. If I book the same WT+ flight it only costs £1203. Why does the same flight cost £464 more when I use the voucher to upgrade to CW.

Any help appreciated
Possibly two different factors here.

First the surcharges ("YQ") for the route will be different for WT+ and CW, and you will have pay this differential (so in effect you pay the fare component price for WT+ and the taxes/surcharges for CW). Typically this amounts to a difference of 100-200 GBP on a return booking, but can be more depending the routing (and where you start from - YQ on ex-USA tickets for CW/F is set very high for reasons only known to BA).

Also though it can be the case that when using the "book and upgrade at the same time" function, the web-booking tool fails to offer you the lowest price WT+ fare (search here in this forum for "DIF" fares to see examples of this). In that case the solution is that you have to call up and make the booking and then upgrade afterwards (or make the booking in WT+ online and immediately call up to apply the voucher).
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks, all done over the phone £1306
EDIflyer and GinFizz like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Hi,

I have some questions about GUF2:

1) Does BA still extend the expiry date? I have done in the past, but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is no longer the case.
2) Lets say I use my GUF2 - On BA I can price up LHR-DEL Return - Outbound 12/08 19:30 in PE and Inbound 22/08 01:50 in CLUB for 2 Persons at GBP 3057.22 Total. Is this good price? I would then like to my GUF2 for upgrade to CLUB on Outbound and Inbound to FIRST. Can a GUF2 be used across mixed cabins?
3) Final question, Both passengers would be travelling out on the 12/08. However one prefers to return on 22/08 and the other on 27/08. Is this possible? The price for both returns is the same.
4) Note the return in PE is double that of CLUB .. so it makes sense.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
You may want to have a look at this thread, including its wikipost: BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Hi,

1) Does BA still extend the expiry date? I have done in the past, but I'm sure I read somewhere that this is no longer the case.
2) Lets say I use my GUF2 - On BA I can price up LHR-DEL Return - Outbound 12/08 19:30 in PE and Inbound 22/08 01:50 in CLUB for 2 Persons at GBP 3057.22 Total. Is this good price? I would then like to my GUF2 for upgrade to CLUB on Outbound and Inbound to FIRST. Can a GUF2 be used across mixed cabins?
3) Final question, Both passengers would be travelling out on the 12/08. However one prefers to return on 22/08 and the other on 27/08. Is this possible? The price for both returns is the same.
4) Note the return in PE is double that of CLUB .. so it makes sense.
1) yes, 6 month extension is fine, also the booking just needs to be made by expiry date of the voucher with flights at a later date
2) yes it can be used for a mixed cabin return so you book WTP out and CW back, and then GUF so both end up in CW out and F back
3) not possible, if you want both to be on the same booking (so you can use a GUF2 to upgrade both) they must both be booked on the same flights

More information in the GUF guide linked ot in the dashboard
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by KARFA
1) yes, 6 month extension is fine, also the booking just needs to be made by expiry date of the voucher with flights at a later date
2) yes it can be used for a mixed cabin return so you book WTP out and CW back, and then GUF so both end up in CW out and F back
3) not possible, if you want both to be on the same booking (so you can use a GUF2 to upgrade both) they must both be booked on the same flights

More information in the GUF guide linked ot in the dashboard
Thanks Karfa, I suspected that was the case with point 3.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Hi, just wanted to seek some advice on the GUF2 and some other matter.

1. I've extended my GUF2 once before for 6 months, would BA be kind to extend for another say 3-4 months?
2. I want to use my GUF2 at the start of my membership year which is in April 2018. However, there's a pretty good sale ex KUL that ends on 31st March. Would BA be willing to "shorten" or bring forward the expiry of membership year?

Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tango3
2. I want to use my GUF2 at the start of my membership year which is in April 2018. However, there's a pretty good sale ex KUL that ends on 31st March. Would BA be willing to "shorten" or bring forward the expiry of membership year?
Do you mean that you want to travel before the end of March 2019 but have the TPs for the trip count for the membership year that starts on 9 April 2019 (presumably you don't really mean 2018)? If so, then the answer is no.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do you mean that you want to travel before the end of March 2019 but have the TPs for the trip count for the membership year that starts on 9 April 2019 (presumably you don't really mean 2018)? If so, then the answer is no.
Ah thanks! Shucks, looks like I'll have to try my luck with BA to extend the GUF2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.