FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding GUF2
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:17 am
GinFizz

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I am at a bit of a loss to understand pricing on a GUF2 and have never used one before. I am looking at price of £1667 to book WT+/CW on the BA site using a GUF2. If I book the same WT+ flight it only costs £1203. Why does the same flight cost £464 more when I use the voucher to upgrade to CW.

Any help appreciated
Possibly two different factors here.

First the surcharges ("YQ") for the route will be different for WT+ and CW, and you will have pay this differential (so in effect you pay the fare component price for WT+ and the taxes/surcharges for CW). Typically this amounts to a difference of 100-200 GBP on a return booking, but can be more depending the routing (and where you start from - YQ on ex-USA tickets for CW/F is set very high for reasons only known to BA).

Also though it can be the case that when using the "book and upgrade at the same time" function, the web-booking tool fails to offer you the lowest price WT+ fare (search here in this forum for "DIF" fares to see examples of this). In that case the solution is that you have to call up and make the booking and then upgrade afterwards (or make the booking in WT+ online and immediately call up to apply the voucher).