Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I really wish posters who know bugger all about law would keep their armchair legal opinions to themselves.

This comment is quite obviously absurd. Consuming something no more makes it yours than writing your name on it. And even if ownership somehow transferred, someone else would still have been deprived of their property without their consent.

There most likely has been a crime committed but as has been said above, it is unlikely BTP would become involved given the other considerations already outlined.
Is eating it classed as intention to permanently deprive?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
... This comment is quite obviously absurd...
I think the comment was intended as a jest, of course it is illegal to consume food in a supermarket without paying.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by m3red
It could be returned later, albeit in a modified form
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by m3red
The crime is the contravention of Railway By-law 19: "Except with permission from an authorised person, no person shall remain in any seat, berth or any part of a train where a notice indicates that it is reserved for a specified ticket holder or holders of tickets of specific class, except the holder of a valid ticket entitling him to be in that particular place" The penalty is a fine and removal from the railway.

Getting back on topic, there is of course no similar criminal law for such a thing occurring in the air, just the requirement to obey the instructions of cabin crew in certain circumstances.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Apologies to the poster if it was in jest but most people will give a if that's their intention. It wasn't clear that this comment was in jest. Quite a few people in my local supermarket seem to think it is fine to wander around trying the produce at any rate!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Hourly paid staff. The damage already done.
My comment of disbelief was aimed at the poster who seemed to suggest this activity was at all acceptable.

Originally Posted by bioblot
Getting back on topic, there is of course no similar criminal law for such a thing occurring in the air, just the requirement to obey the instructions of cabin crew in certain circumstances.
bioblot, if the cabin crew didn't realize our "chancer" had not paid for a J ticket and for that reason permitted him to continue to sit in the J seat, and offered him a J experience (no jokes please) would that not be obtaining services by deception? (With apologies to TabTraveller.)
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Originally Posted by IMH
why wouldn't this very important man get his nosh of choice?
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Frigid cabin crew.
Snigger
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I flew to hkg in j the other day (not on ba) and when we landed (I was in 9k) everyone was waiting for the f pax to leave and this guy was like excuse me can I get past. Of course I just let him go knowing he wasn't going anywhere!

Anyway the airhostess couldn't locate my jacket so I had to wait until nearly the whole j cabin had gone.

So I go about my business get an airport express ticket and as I'm boarding the train there is mr can I get past you!

What a tool!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by tony flynn
Snigger
Glad I wasn't the only one.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:25 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
The thread may not be wholly BA however it is very much British.
^^^
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
I really wish posters who know bugger all about law would keep their armchair legal opinions to themselves.

This comment is quite obviously absurd. Consuming something no more makes it yours than writing your name on it. And even if ownership somehow transferred, someone else would still have been deprived of their property without their consent.

There most likely has been a crime committed but as has been said above, it is unlikely BTP would become involved given the other considerations already outlined.
How many people have Waitrose prosecuted for eating food in their supermarkets? Can you point me at the case law or law reports please?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Banana4321
How many people have Waitrose prosecuted for eating food in their supermarkets? Can you point me at the case law or law reports please?
Many moons ago I worked in the security office for a large supermarket. No-one eating a banana or a handful of grapes was ever arrested for theft-by-consumption. There was a woman, however, who would come in every lunch time and stand looking at the magazines/TVs/Clothes whilst eating a sandwich she'd picked up from the entrance display. She'd then walk out 10 minutes later and put the empty wrapper in the bin. After about a week of this she was taken to one side and warned that this was theft and she'd be detained if she continued.

Monday lunchtime, she's in again. This time she was detained and the police were called. No charges were ever filed, though. She was just banned from the store.

Ultimately (IME), stores aren't interested in kids eating the Pik N Mix or someone eating a bag if crisps; the only charges that were filed were against those who put a TV in their trolley and walked out. Or 20 bottles of whiskey. Or 40 legs of lamb.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Prosecution vs legality. Quite a simple distinction.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Prosecution vs legality. Quite a simple distinction.
^+1

Frankly, if anyone really thinks there is nothing wrong with going into a shop, taking an item from the shelves, consuming it, and then leaving without paying for it, the fact that they are clearly not possessed of any understanding of the law is the least of their character defects. They would possess a somewhat defective moral compass, IMHO, which is much more important.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:25 am

Programs: QF LTG, VA Gold, BA Gold, HH, SFSC
Originally Posted by CCayley
^+1

Frankly, if anyone really thinks there is nothing wrong with going into a shop, taking an item from the shelves, consuming it, and then leaving without paying for it, the fact that they are clearly not possessed of any understanding of the law is the least of their character defects. They would possess a somewhat defective moral compass, IMHO, which is much more important.
Which would fit rather nicely with the title of this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.