Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by haasha
I have no idea how it works in T3, it was always like this. Once there was no delay and my lack of attention caused me miss the flight

Once I was watching the board every 5 minutes only to see blinking red "flight closing" as first notice. Lovely.
Really irritates me when that happens - notably, when flying to ORD last year and sat in the CCR with Mrs Lem, saw the notice that our flight was departing from a C gate so said we wouldn't bother heading over until it told us to go to gate.

Except it never said to go to gate, it just went straight to boarding. As we got on the transport we heard the final call, and as we got off the other end we heard the gate closing announcement and had to run! Most undignified entrance to Mrs Lem's first F

Last edited by darthlemsip; Sep 30, 2014 at 6:38 am
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
... we heard the gate closing announcement and had to run!
Most irritatingly, even this does not mean that the gate is closing soon, in particular if a free bus trip is part of the package.

I recently walked slowly towards A4 at around 30 min to departure while seeing many other passengers running by who apparently believed what the announcement was telling them. The gate closed about 20 min later...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
True, have had that too - but in this instance we were the last two on the plane. At least we were turning left so didn't have to deal with the glares...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by sapper188
Being retired my OH thinks I spend too long on here, ok I do, and as I was reading this thread there were a few mentions of F pj's, now I will never earn these in F so if any person has a stash I would be grateful to take a pair off your hands. I have a yearning to do DYKWIA. I will be in either GC or CX lounge in T3 on 31/10/14 between 9am -11am, flight to WAW at 11.30am. We are going to try CX as had read GC to be manic, but could try both.
It would appear that there are some on ebay starting at 99p if you have a search there.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Really irritates me when that happens - notably, when flying to ORD last year and sat in the CCR with Mrs Lem, saw the notice that our flight was departing from a C gate so said we wouldn't bother heading over until it told us to go to gate.

Except it never said to go to gate, it just went straight to boarding. As we got on the transport we heard the final call, and as we got off the other end we heard the gate closing announcement and had to run! Most undignified entrance to Mrs Lem's first F
Almost identical experience on Mrs W's (and Miss W's and Mstr W's) first F trip. Sat in the CCR and suddenly we get a C gate. Specifically asked CCR staff to give us a prod when we had to leave ("certainly sir"). Nothing. No "go to gate", no prod from the CCR staff, just "boarding". By the time I'd picked up the kids, bags, etc. and bundled them out of the CCR it was showing "final call" on the monitors.

We made it (to cries of "run! run!" from gate staff as they saw us approaching) and the literally shut the gate behind us.

Never again will I make that mistake. Didn't even have time to get my free "C gate compensation mug" from Starbucks.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Never again will I make that mistake. Didn't even have time to get my free "C gate compensation mug" from Starbucks.
It's different in other airports but at T5 it really isn't complicated.

Whether you're going to Newcastle or Nairobi, boarding will be open until at least 21 minutes before stated departure time, this is their well advertised work instruction. All A gates are within 7 minutes of any lounge in 5A, South or North. You can make that 10 or 15 minutes to get to anywhere in B or C, particularly if you're happy to use the passageway rather than the transit. Therefore you need to leave CCR 36 minutes before departure time unless a specific "delayed" message has come up on FIDS. If you are using the transit, add 5 minutes for the transits' service frequency.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:28 am

For a long haul from LHR - I simply work under the assumption that boarding starts 30 minutes before departure. It seems to hold for most of the long haul I do. If there's a delay - that knocks that time back appropriately.

So regardless of the screen - that's what I aim for.

But counter to my rule of thumb .... I had one recently from a B gate where I turned up early as I wanted to stretch my legs ... said 'boarding in about 20 minutes right?' to the lady at the gate to be told 'no - in 5' (e.g. 45 minutes before the flight time) ... turned out to be a bus gate.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by oliuk
It would appear that there are some on ebay starting at 99p if you have a search there.
Thanks, but never do ebay, too tacky.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:05 pm

Being retired my OH thinks I spend too long on here, ok I do, and as I was reading this thread there were a few mentions of F pj's, now I will never earn these in F so if any person has a stash I would be grateful to take a pair off your hands.
I have reason to believe that a very handsome (and brilliant) member of FlyerTalk has a nice new pair of PJ's currently listed on ebay at a very reasonable price.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's different in other airports but at T5 it really isn't complicated.

Whether you're going to Newcastle or Nairobi, boarding will be open until at least 21 minutes before stated departure time, this is their well advertised work instruction. All A gates are within 7 minutes of any lounge in 5A, South or North. You can make that 10 or 15 minutes to get to anywhere in B or C, particularly if you're happy to use the passageway rather than the transit. Therefore you need to leave CCR 36 minutes before departure time unless a specific "delayed" message has come up on FIDS. If you are using the transit, add 5 minutes for the transits' service frequency.
I had never done a C gate before. I'd specifically asked for assistance in the CCR. Plus we were further delayed by a bag that was left on the inbound transit train.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:50 pm

More tacky than asking for a pair on FT?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Kind of a different twist on this…

Recently, at a outstation GC lounge I was warmly 'welcomed back' to the lounge. It was a really nice welcome. Thing is, I'd never been to this particular lounge before, and had only transited the airport twice, while flying Y with another airline. I mentioned to the lounge employee that she's mistaken me for someone else. We were still taken care of very well by the lounge staff, who made sure our water and champagne glasses were properly attended to.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MPH1980
For a long haul from LHR - I simply work under the assumption that boarding starts 30 minutes before departure. It seems to hold for most of the long haul I do.

So regardless of the screen - that's what I aim for.
Ditto.

I also work on the assumption that they (nearly always) have a checked bag of mine in the hold and they won't want to faff around looking for it in order to off load me immediately...but this is probably a bit of a gamble on my part. I confess I got to the gate a bit earlier yesterday as I'm trying to manage with HBO for the week.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Surely trying to blag a pair of PJ carries a degree of tackiness all of its own?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:45 am

Arguably somewhat more tackier as the enquirer wants free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.