Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Not DYKWIA, another poor premium customer who's been lied to, but doesn't have the experience to realise that the work of fiction called departure boards are not to be trusted.
Agreed. How often in T3 did I see my flight was "boarding", schlepped from the CX lounge to the bus gate, and found that there was still a queue outside the pen with nary a bus in sight?

All the time. Very frustrating if you're not au fait with the smoke and mirrors.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paul4040
Agreed. How often in T3 did I see my flight was "boarding", schlepped from the CX lounge to the bus gate, and found that there was still a queue outside the pen with nary a bus in sight?

All the time. Very frustrating if you're not au fait with the smoke and mirrors.
The problem is, even if you are familar with the smoke and mirrors how do you overcome the problem?

There often is no way to tell until you get to the gate.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
The problem is, even if you are familar with the smoke and mirrors how do you overcome the problem?

There often is no way to tell until you get to the gate.
Indeed. I am paranoid about missing flights so I go as soon as it flashes up in the lounge. I've learned to accept that 9/10 times it'll mean a further wait. Still not great.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Before when they still used the buses, I used to leave the lounge when it says "Gate Closing". That way usually I arrived to the 24's around the same time the first bus arrived.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

I got a fair compensation from BA for complaining about this very issue in T3. "Boarding" came up in the lounge. Went to gate, into the holding pen, then "30 minute delay". Told the chap I'd go back to the lounge and wait "No we've scanned you in now so you'll wait here." 30 minutes sat on the floor as the waiting area was packed.

^ Club Europe.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I got a fair compensation from BA for complaining about this very issue in T3. "Boarding" came up in the lounge. Went to gate, into the holding pen, then "30 minute delay". Told the chap I'd go back to the lounge and wait "No we've scanned you in now so you'll wait here." 30 minutes sat on the floor as the waiting area was packed.

^ Club Europe.
I have no idea how it works in T3, it was always like this. Once there was no delay and my lack of attention caused me miss the flight

Once I was watching the board every 5 minutes only to see blinking red "flight closing" as first notice. Lovely.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
I have a minor DYKWIA from today. I was sitting across the aisle from a couple who kept on comparing BA to EK or SQ at the top of their voices.

Every other utterance seemed to be "Emirates does _____ so much better," "Why don't BA copy SQ with _____," (I picked him up on his bad speech here ) "Emirates is far superior when it comes to ______"

The conversation did change but only to...

"I'm literally paid to fly Emirates first to work every month," (and here...) or "My boss thinks I'm practically indispensable so he doesn't mind paying for my air travel," and "yes, honey we a lucky to be able to afford to fly the best."

Their faces when I received better service compared to them made my day.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
I love how half of the DYKWIA stories end with a counter-DYKWIA.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:42 pm

@:-) priceless
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
I have a minor DYKWIA from today. I was sitting across the aisle from a couple who kept on comparing BA to EK or SQ at the top of their voices.

Every other utterance seemed to be "Emirates does _____ so much better," "Why don't BA copy SQ with _____," (I picked him up on his bad speech here ) "Emirates is far superior when it comes to ______"

The conversation did change but only to...

"I'm literally paid to fly Emirates first to work every month," (and here...) or "My boss thinks I'm practically indispensable so he doesn't mind paying for my air travel," and "yes, honey we a lucky to be able to afford to fly the best."

They probably had some valid points!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wozza2404

^ Club Europe.
One of the advantages of the T5B lounge is that you can actually see several of the gates from the lounge. You a sit up there sipping a G&T and wait until the flight is actually boarding. For the gates you can't see then it's easy to pop down and return to the lounge is there is a delay.

I agree. I hate the T3 pens, especially when they are combined with a bus transfer.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

It's way more than half

The teller of the tale senses a moral imperative to add an element of comeuppance, which inevitably includes a sneaky little selfy-DYKWIA all of its own.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It's way more than half

The teller of the tale senses a moral imperative to add an element of comeuppance, which inevitably includes a sneaky little selfy-DYKWIA all of its own.
But those are what makes a story entertaining. Not sure it's a DYKWIA of the poster but a counterpoint to the actual DYKWIA's behaviour often stopping the actual DYKWIA in his/her tracks.

All fun and friendly, nothing wrong with that.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: BA GGL
Agreed! Sometimes it's nice to see a pompous twat brought back down to earth with a firm bump
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Being retired my OH thinks I spend too long on here, ok I do, and as I was reading this thread there were a few mentions of F pj's, now I will never earn these in F so if any person has a stash I would be grateful to take a pair off your hands. I have a yearning to do DYKWIA. I will be in either GC or CX lounge in T3 on 31/10/14 between 9am -11am, flight to WAW at 11.30am. We are going to try CX as had read GC to be manic, but could try both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.