Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Work have learned to love my bizarre habit. For example, I'm flying to Australia for a conference in October. LHR-SIN-SYD flights in J were coming out around £4500. Instead I'm flying PRG-HEL-SIN-SYD and tagging a LHR-PRG return on. Cost is £2200. Work save over £2k and the cost is a day of my time, which I'm happy to give up if it means opening up the GGL jokers for my family holidays.

Swings and roundabouts.
They could just fly you in economy on EK, or Saudia
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by paulwuk
They could just fly you in economy on EK, or Saudia

Fortunately J long haul is built into my contact.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Work have learned to love my bizarre habit. For example, I'm flying to Australia for a conference in October. LHR-SIN-SYD flights in J were coming out around £4500. Instead I'm flying PRG-HEL-SIN-SYD and tagging a LHR-PRG return on. Cost is £2200. Work save over £2k and the cost is a day of my time, which I'm happy to give up if it means opening up the GGL jokers for my family holidays.

Swings and roundabouts.
Fair play but I couldn't care about saving cash for my company. My dxb Lhr man dxb was over 3 k...

They get their money out of me I'm not spending one day more away from dxb than I need to.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by m3red
Fair play but I couldn't care about saving cash for my company. My dxb Lhr man dxb was over 3 k...

They get their money out of me I'm not spending one day more away from dxb than I need to.
Fair enough, but a combination of being on a profit share agreement and the benefits of GGL make it worthwhile to me. A few extra days a year to guarantee those seats to MCO on whatever dates I want; a price worth paying.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum, Hhonors Gold, Sirius Silver, Amex Platinum, BA Amex PP
Reminds me of an AMS to LHR flight I had a while ago at the start of an ex-EU holiday. I was in CE, dressed casually. There was no priority boarding and everyone was trying to get on the plane as if it was suddenly going to close the doors and say "sorry full up" and fly off. Anyway, I could feel someone behind me trying to push his way past me and my friend and shouting "excuse me….excuse me" in an American accent. Quite where he was trying to go I don't know as there was no where to go! He kept pushing until I'd had enough. I turned round and said do you mind, we are all queuing. "I'm in First Class, are YOU in First Class?" was his reply. "No dear...I'm in Business, you're also in Business. BA don't do First between Amsterdam and London. Join the queue." He stopped pushing.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Fair enough, but a combination of being on a profit share agreement and the benefits of GGL make it worthwhile to me. A few extra days a year to guarantee those seats to MCO on whatever dates I want; a price worth paying.
If i was on profit share for one year I would never need to work again! Maybe one day!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by jamiebf
. Join the queue." He stopped pushing.
I had a very similar incident once when boarding at GLA. Elderly and American. But I'm in first-class.... "Eh, no - you're not, wait your turn like everyone else, it won't go without you". Seems to be a pattern emerging....
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
This isn't about BA nor about air travel, but it's a good story, anyway.

I met "Brainiac" in a sales presentation and walked away saying "This is one customer I do not wish to have.". He was a supreme egotist and was utterly convinced his far superior intellectual capacity entitled him to special treatment everywhere he went. Brainiac was, in short, the photo you see in the dictionary when you look up "DYKWIA".

About a year later, I was part of a trade delegation from California to a trade show in Düsseldorf. Who shows up in this trade delegation? Brainiac. I pointed him out to my boss, telling the boss "That's the customer I saw last year. Remember? The guy I told you we'll do ourselves a favor and NOT take on as a customer.".

The trade group boarded a train from Amsterdam to Düsseldorf. Boss and I quickly loaded all our luggage up on the train. Bear in mind, we all had a lot of luggage including our personal stuff plus demo kits and literature for the trade show. Brainiac left MrsBrainiac on the platform while he went off "exploring" this new exciting concept of a European Train. My boss insisted on helping MrsBrainiac get their luggage on the train, finally giving her a hand up just as Brainiac came back to see about his wife and luggage and trade show stuff, just as the train started moving out of the station. My boss and I had the Schadenfreude of watching Brainiac get reamed a new one by the furious MrsBrainiac and having to move his stash of luggage from the train vestibule to his compartment schlepping it all down the corridor of a moving train.

We arrived in Düsseldorf and got all our stuff off the train.

The train station had elevators to move passengers from the train platform to the pedestrian walkway below the tracks. Since everyone had a lot of stuff, we all got luggage carts which meant we had to line up for the elevator. Brainiac and MrsBrainiac ended up in the middle of the line. My boss suggested that he and I just take our time and go last, letting all the others crowd on ahead, which was fine by me.

Brainiac was incensed that he had to wait for the elevator. There was only room for one or two luggage carts at a time, so it was a short wait. He was practically apoplectic at the wait, bouncing up and down on his toes, muttering "Come on, come on, why is this taking so long, etc." I just watched from the sidelines and my boss stayed with all our stuff at the end of the line.

Finally, after what must have been an eternity for someone as impatient as Brainiac, it was his turn. At that point, the elevator stopped moving. The elevator had a glass door, so you could clearly see the mechanics through the door, and it was stopped dead. "What's wrong? Why is this thing not working? We need to get out of here." Brainiac was about to have a seizure because the elevator stopped right before his turn.

And then, I saw that there was no light on the elevator call buttons. No one had punched the "down" call button. I walked up and punched the button. Instantaneously, *MIRACULOUSLY*, the elevator sprung into action. The "down" button light came on and the mechanism starting working. Brainiac muttered "Thanks", as I walked by.

My boss stopped laughing sometime later that week.

Mr Super-High-IQ, intellectually superior to the rest of the human race, couldn't get his wife and luggage on the train and didn't think to punch the elevator "down" call button. I guess we mere mortals know how to do those kinds of things.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:34 am

Coming through LHR security transiting from MAD yesterday when a tall American gentleman ran afoul of the security staff, trying to run through three liters of olive oil.

"Sorry, sir, we can't pass this through".

"Well, I am flying British Airways First, and I wish you to access my checked baggage so that I may place these within. I paid good money for these at Duty Free and can't believe that you won't pass them".

"Sorry sir, we have no access to in-transit baggage".

"I'm a well-traveled frequent flyer and I have never heard of such a thing".

Seeing that duty-free shops are on the other side of security, this gentleman's items must have been purchased at another airport; and if he was as well-traveled and frequently-flying as he claimed, he should have known that liquids purchased at another airport wouldn't get through LHR preflight security.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Legionayr
Coming through LHR security transiting from MAD yesterday when a tall American gentleman ran afoul of the security staff, trying to run through three liters of olive oil.

"Well, I am flying British Airways First, and I wish you to access my checked baggage so that I may place these within. I paid good money for these at Duty Free and can't believe that you won't pass them".

Seeing that duty-free shops are on the other side of security, this gentleman's items must have been purchased at another airport; and if he was as well-traveled and frequently-flying as he claimed, he should have known that liquids purchased at another airport wouldn't get through LHR preflight security.
And when he checked his bags he would have been asked "any liquids in your bag, you pompous prick?"
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Legionayr

To be fair he has a point. He passed security at his origin, bought the items within duty free on his way to wherever and is then told he has to throw it away at a transfer point, without ever leaving a secure area. It's a stupid system that catches many people out.

There are even some airports where you can't get it past security when you've bought it in the same airport.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
I was thought if whatever you purchased airside at another airport, if it was in a sealed bag with the receipt showing then it was fine taking it through security at LHR if you was connecting passenger. As someone who never buys anything more than a magazine when airside it's not a rule I've paid much attention too.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1HourPhoto
I was thought if whatever you purchased airside at another airport, if it was in a sealed bag with the receipt showing then it was fine taking it through security at LHR if you was connecting passenger. As someone who never buys anything more than a magazine when airside it's not a rule I've paid much attention too.
That's correct, but it has to be at an airport approved by the UK government, within the last day, and the liquids must be in a sealed bag with the receipt clearly visible.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
That's correct, but it has to be at an airport approved by the UK government, within the last day, and the liquids must be in a sealed bag with the receipt clearly visible.
Does anyone have a list of the UK Government approved airports mentioned above?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

MCO.....????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.