Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
This seems to be more prevalent lately, It may arise from the increased number of Golds as the BMI golds work through the system. It had never happened to me in thirty odd years of flying, but has happened to me twice in the last six months.

I certainly didn't feel either obliged or inclined to confirm my eligibility.
I'm with you on this. Why others feel the need to police these things rather than leave it to the airline is beyond me.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
This seems to be more prevalent lately, It may arise from the increased number of Golds as the BMI golds work through the system. It had never happened to me in thirty odd years of flying, but has happened to me twice in the last six months.

I certainly didn't feel either obliged or inclined to confirm my eligibility.
Surely the BMI Gold numbers should be falling each month now?

I read the Euro Gold thread earlier and was surprised to see that people could get to Gold in Europe for just 800TPs... I'd lay the blame for the increased numbers firmly at that door. It's easy enough at 1500TPs, let alone 800.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I read the Euro Gold thread earlier and was surprised to see that people could get to Gold in Europe for just 800TPs... I'd lay the blame for the increased numbers firmly at that door. It's easy enough at 1500TPs, let alone 800.
That's not been available for some time now - only those that were on it can renew at those levels, and even then it's not all of them and those that can are in their last year of doing so
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
Originally Posted by beardoc
I'm with you on this. Why others feel the need to police these things rather than leave it to the airline is beyond me.
I've never quite seen someone try to self-police a queue, but I have noticed a lot more queue-bargers recently, especially on my now frequent trips to/from DUS. At peak times (as can be seen from the ET seat map at even -7 days) practically everyone has some sort of status.

Boarding at DUS 2 weeks ago, I was in a queue in front of the fast track entrance. The lady behind me dragged her partner to the front of the queue as soon as boarding was announced and tried to push in brandishing a bronze card. Nobody said anything but the look on people's faces was priceless (and they didn't let her in).

Side-note: although they don't always police the queue itself, they are consistently very good at DUS with not letting through non-CE/non-status pax when they present themselves during "priority" boarding.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
That's not been available for some time now - only those that were on it can renew at those levels, and even then it's not all of them and those that can are in their last year of doing so
Good. ^
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Originally Posted by WeAreFlyingHigh
Yes. After loudly claiming he was lifelong gold, another passenger saw his bronze card fall out at the end of the flight. He said loudly to his partner "He's only bronze" to which the rest of the cabin (only 8 seats taken so not full) heard and started laughing. I only found out he was an upgrade speaking to the CSD after the flight. He was a "last minute upgrade" to use her words.

Sorry if it wasn't clear initially
'Well I think it's a lovely story dear and you tell it so well'
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bioblot
When it works smoothly it can be begrudgingly rather admirable, but with these types it's just a crass and embarrassing failure.

I was in First on East Coast trains once and a guy sits across from me, gets served the complimentary tea and biscuits, then as the ticket inspector comes along he gets up, casually asks the server for a piece of cake and then says "cheers love" and goes and sits in Second Class. Smoothly done and no one batted an eyelid.
Are you serious?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Are you serious?
Hourly paid staff. The damage already done. British Transport Police would probably not press charges for a piece of cake and a cup of (awful - makes BA look gourmet) coffee. You cannot even get the police to attend crimes which are deemed minor!

The crew would not have the time or inclination to act on this. What would they say and what would they do that would make any difference? They cannot get the coffee or cake back and the passenger could say that he made a mistake on sitting down and rectified this as soon as he became aware.

I have also witnessed this on EC. You just have to have a big pair of dangly things, not give a monkey's and you will "get away" with it.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Hourly paid staff. The damage already done. British Transport Police would probably not press charges for a piece of cake and a cup of (awful - makes BA look gourmet) coffee. You cannot even get the police to attend crimes which are deemed minor!
The main consideration is the punctual running of the train. If BTP attend it can take several minutes to "encourage" a suspect to leave the train, which then incurs a delay on the train's schedule. The train company will pick up the bill for this delay, and any other knock on delays it causes to other services.

You would therefore not call the BTP in these circumstances if you're traincrew. (Also, they're not hourly paid, they're salaried, and quite nicely so for their line of work too )
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:35 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
A man was arguing with the CSD about not being able to have his first choice meal in a full First cabin.
[...] the rest of the cabin (only 8 seats taken so not full) heard
Was the cabin "full" or "not full"? If "not full", why wouldn't this very important man get his nosh of choice?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by IMH
why wouldn't this very important man get his nosh of choice?
Frigid cabin crew.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by paul4040
The main consideration is the punctual running of the train. If BTP attend it can take several minutes to "encourage" a suspect to leave the train, which then incurs a delay on the train's schedule. The train company will pick up the bill for this delay, and any other knock on delays it causes to other services.

You would therefore not call the BTP in these circumstances if you're traincrew. (Also, they're not hourly paid, they're salaried, and quite nicely so for their line of work too )
There is no crime committed. What is inside your body legally belongs to you. Same reason why you can eat in a supermarket
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Platinum and BAEC blue again :'(
Originally Posted by IMH
Was the cabin "full" or "not full"? If "not full", why wouldn't this very important man get his nosh of choice?
Full flight, but his things fell on the floor when disembarking at the end. It was at the time everyone starts to walk out. I was in front of him just about to leave the cabin, people were in front of me and 8 were behind including him. It was those 7 and myself who laughed at him. So at the time it happened the cabin wasn't full.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:04 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Full flight, but [...] at the time it happened the cabin wasn't full.
Thanks for clarifying (I really was confused, not trying to be clever).
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Banana4321
There is no crime committed. What is inside your body legally belongs to you. Same reason why you can eat in a supermarket
I really wish posters who know bugger all about law would keep their armchair legal opinions to themselves.

This comment is quite obviously absurd. Consuming something no more makes it yours than writing your name on it. And even if ownership somehow transferred, someone else would still have been deprived of their property without their consent.

There most likely has been a crime committed but as has been said above, it is unlikely BTP would become involved given the other considerations already outlined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.