Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

I couldn't find any recent dedicated threads to one of our favourite topics, so I thought I'd start one. I always find these stories really amusing.

On BA799 back from HEL last week we were standing in -15C and blowing snow outside at the remote stand waiting for someone to be carried up on his wheelchair before anyone else got on. Fair enough, but they did take their time, why not keep everyone else in the bus? I was probably fifth or sixth in the queue at the stairs for 1L. All pretty calm until some guy with his wife in tow comes from nowhere with his three carry on bags and pushes people out of his way and starts climbing the stairs. The airport guys guarding the bottom of the stairs asked him what he was doing doing.

"It's ok, I'm a frequent premium flier and I am allowed priority boarding ahead of everyone else."

"Not while we are boarding wheelchair pax."

"Let me show you something..." and pulls out a Bronze card. There was a lot of chuckling as they were sent back. I think he and his wife were somewhere in the 20s.

Last edited by LondonElite; Jan 25, 2014 at 7:14 am
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
LMAO

My favourite DYKWIA moment was a couple of years ago on a flight to Prague in CE and some old chap seated in 1A having a go at the cabin crew for placing his wine glass on the wrong side of the table and the fact that he would have to move it in to the correct position himself!

I will never ever forget that moment!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC
One recently that I saw was a woman trying to barge past all the other patiently-waiting fast track boarders because she was Bronze. I was ahead of her in the queue (flying in CE) when some guy behind me politely but damningly pointed out that everyone in the queue had the right to be there and she should pipe down.

Lots of smirks from others in the queue!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
Not so much a DYKWIA, more of a REMOVED Wish He Wasn't! German bloke behind me in 2A on a 747 back from JNB this week who was snoring so loudly that I could still hear him through my QC15s while watching a film. A few of us pointed out how annoying the noise was and the lovely crew member mentioned that she would try to move his head, but had to be careful not to disturb him too much as he was a Premier 'and they can pretty much do what they like!'

Last edited by Petrus; Jan 26, 2014 at 2:06 am Reason: swearing
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I was recently challenged by a Bronze in the line for a MAN flight, I had a five o'clock shadow, very crumpled casual clothing from dozing on-and-off through a severely delayed (and very bumpy) TATL, still half asleep when the besuited Bronze chap chirped "you do realise this line is only for BA's elite passengers don't you?"

Normally I'd ignore a comment like that with a polite nod but his DYKWIA type attitude (not helped by my restlessness from a short business trip (with long days and short nights) and very little sleep in 72 hours caused me to stare at him and chirp back "how elite do I need to be?". He said "if you need to ask that you are clearly in the wrong queue (shaking his head) it's people like you who hold up the whole boarding process for us regular flyers (pointing at the other besuited 'elites')".

As we boarded (Mr bronze by now had overtaken me) I was greeted by name by the CSM on approach to the door (I’d flown several times previously with this CSM and often had a chat), “I thought it might be you Mr Tobias when I looked at the passenger list”. Mr Bronze looked round with a look of bewilderment at this. I was in 1F, and Mr Bronze as luck would have it (not!) was in 1E. The drinks round began – the CSM “The usual is it Mr Tobias-UK?” and I was handed 2 gins and a tonic. Mr Bronze “I’ll have the same as him”, the look on his face when he was only handed one gin. Priceless!

Mr Bronze asked me if I knew the cabin crew because they were generous with the gin “apart from flying, no … it’s a perk of being an elite traveller with BA ... you get all sorts of perks when you’re on the gold guest list” I chirped (rather smugly ).
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I was recently challenged by a Bronze in the line for a MAN flight, I had a five o'clock shadow, very crumpled casual clothing from dozing on-and-off through a severely delayed (and very bumpy) TATL, still half asleep when the besuited Bronze chap chirped "you do realise this line is only for BA's elite passengers don't you?"

Normally I'd ignore a comment like that with a polite nod but his DYKWIA type attitude (not helped by my restlessness from a short business trip (with long days and short nights) and very little sleep in 72 hours caused me to stare at him and chirp back "how elite do I need to be?". He said "if you need to ask that you are clearly in the wrong queue (shaking his head) it's people like you who hold up the whole boarding process for us regular flyers (pointing at the other besuited 'elites')".

As we boarded (Mr bronze by now had overtaken me) I was greeted by name by the CSM on approach to the door (I’d flown several times previously with this CSM and often had a chat), “I thought it might be you Mr Tobias when I looked at the passenger list”. Mr Bronze looked round with a look of bewilderment at this. I was in 1F, and Mr Bronze as luck would have it (not!) was in 1E. The drinks round began – the CSM “The usual is it Mr Tobias-UK?” and I was handed 2 gins and a tonic. Mr Bronze “I’ll have the same as him”, the look on his face when he was only handed one gin. Priceless!

Mr Bronze asked me if I knew the cabin crew because they were generous with the gin “apart from flying, no … it’s a perk of being an elite traveller with BA ... you get all sorts of perks when you’re on the gold guest list” I chirped (rather smugly ).
Tobias!

If I ever meet you I will buy you a drink that made my day! I think you handled it very well

^
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:25 am

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Brilliant start to the thread, thanks to you all!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Bronze really has opened up a new dimension in DYKWIA hasn't it?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:40 am

The bronze next to me just now was greeted by name, offered a second drink and had a great time. I was ignored. Oh well, after a polite request I did get my bitter lemon. Maybe I should have told them who I am.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Think I'll stay Blue as it seems the more status you have the more DYKWIA you become.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:53 am

Ha ha Tobias - that has made my day!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I do love these kinds of threads. When I first got my first Silver card, I had all the bag tags and was really proud of myself. Made sure I got in all of the fast track lines etc.. as I have climbed the ranks I have become scruffier and less bothered about any external status symbols. Yesterday on a MUC - LHR in Y, I was in the lounge in a 4-seat area when a "gold-tag-on-every-bag" type bustled in and proceeded to somehow take all of the other 3 seats, ensuring that his gold cards were all facing towards me.

I was then lucky enough to be called by the lounge staff to go to the front desk where I was given a new BP for Row 1. I quietly sat back down but could feel him glaring at me.

Anyway, on boarding I realised that we were in the same side of Row 1. As we had to ensure everything was off the floor, he was finding it difficult to get space to put all of his stuff and demanded loudly that I move my bag because I was an upgrade. The SCCM, hearing this, and having quickly checked his iPad, came across and asked "Everything all right, Mr. TT1F?" I explained that my row-mate was having problems finding somewhere for his bags. The SCCM immediately arranged for 2 of his bags to be placed in the hold, despite the "I'M A GOLD and PAID FOR CLUB" protestations.

I decided to say nothing and just ignore the laser stares during the flight.

However when the Duty Free came round, I needed to buy some more aftershave as my last lot got confiscated at DME. Just at the right time, the SCCM popped out and said (just at the right volume), "Do you have your Gold Guest List card so you can collect your miles on this purchase?"

Marvellous...
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I do love these kinds of threads. When I first got my first Silver card, I had all the bag tags and was really proud of myself. Made sure I got in all of the fast track lines etc.. as I have climbed the ranks I have become scruffier and less bothered about any external status symbols. Yesterday on a MUC - LHR in Y, I was in the lounge in a 4-seat area when a "gold-tag-on-every-bag" type bustled in and proceeded to somehow take all of the other 3 seats, ensuring that his gold cards were all facing towards me.

I was then lucky enough to be called by the lounge staff to go to the front desk where I was given a new BP for Row 1. I quietly sat back down but could feel him glaring at me.

Anyway, on boarding I realised that we were in the same side of Row 1. As we had to ensure everything was off the floor, he was finding it difficult to get space to put all of his stuff and demanded loudly that I move my bag because I was an upgrade. The SCCM, hearing this, and having quickly checked his iPad, came across and asked "Everything all right, Mr. TT1F?" I explained that my row-mate was having problems finding somewhere for his bags. The SCCM immediately arranged for 2 of his bags to be placed in the hold, despite the "I'M A GOLD and PAID FOR CLUB" protestations.

I decided to say nothing and just ignore the laser stares during the flight.

However when the Duty Free came round, I needed to buy some more aftershave as my last lot got confiscated at DME. Just at the right time, the SCCM popped out and said (just at the right volume), "Do you have your Gold Guest List card so you can collect your miles on this purchase?"

Marvellous...
Awesome!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Earlier this month I was waiting for check in in LIN when a mid age Italian arrived and tapped on my shoulder telling me I was in the wrong line. He said: "you see? This is only for frequent flyers like me". He was indicating the oneworld gems and I promptly asked him which one he had. "The red one, you have to fly a lot to get this one".
At that point I said: "oh I see, well congratulation but I have the blue one and I fly CE so I'm perfectly allowed to use this queue, never judge by appearances".

I'm 19 years old and my age might confuse a bit, but I find ridiculous that a person comes and tell you you can't stay there based on nothing.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by courtster
Bronze really has opened up a new dimension in DYKWIA hasn't it?
Indeed, though from personal experiences the sense of entitlement still peaks with Silver card holders. The GGL's and Prems I have flown with have generally been extremely chilled or fast asleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.