Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Champagne please
Classic today on the flight to ZRH. In ET. Rather than an excuse me, I got a sharp "tap tap tap" on the shoulder which it transpired was a young girl who wanted to get past into the middle seat. Fair enough, I was probably not paying attention. After a few moments, she asked the chap in the window seat if she could read his indy paper, she asked at the same time as helping herself to it from his seat pocket. As we were all still boarding, and it was still pristine, it must have been reasonably obvious he hadn't read it. She read it for the next 30 minutes, he dozed. Then, whilst he was asleep she tore out the Sudoko puzzle and the crossword from his paper and tucked them in her bag!!! When he woke up, he then had to ask for his paper back from her so he could read it. Obviously,being very british, he didnt say a word when he got to the comedy gaps!
...... I thought that the whole situation showed quite some front from her!
HAHAHA this made me chuckle I'm the kind of person that can't keep my laughter in, I would have burst when he turned the page to reveal a ripped out gap lol!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Champagne please
Classic today on the flight to ZRH. In ET. Rather than an excuse me, I got a sharp "tap tap tap" on the shoulder which it transpired was a young girl who wanted to get past into the middle seat. Fair enough, I was probably not paying attention. After a few moments, she asked the chap in the window seat if she could read his indy paper, she asked at the same time as helping herself to it from his seat pocket. As we were all still boarding, and it was still pristine, it must have been reasonably obvious he hadn't read it. She read it for the next 30 minutes, he dozed. Then, whilst he was asleep she tore out the Sudoko puzzle and the crossword from his paper and tucked them in her bag!!! When he woke up, he then had to ask for his paper back from her so he could read it. Obviously,being very british, he didnt say a word when he got to the comedy gaps!
...... I thought that the whole situation showed quite some front from her!
Would this not count as theft or potentially criminal damage?

(pulls out pin and dons tin hat )
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Technically it is ... With a little theft thrown in for good measure!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Magnus77
Indeed your last sentence aptly describes the cabin crews attitude perfectly! Regardless of cabin of travel, hardly a fly to serve attitude.
I've been chased out of the club kitchen as well a couple of years ago. I was new to BA and was just trying to have a look around. 747 with WT+ between F and CW. Didn't try to grab any food or drink, just having a look.

I was in F and the F crew had told me it was OK to go and look around for
a bit. But of course someone had spotted me entering from the "wrong" direction. Had a peek at the UD as well, same result. Muttered something like "I'm in 2K" but just got the "yeah right" look and reaction.

And of course I didn't try to trample up and down the UD, just looked at things from the galley.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flolee

british fellow and myself in unison, in the same intimated and apologetic tone: "but we are in first".
now if you had been wearing your F jammies…
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Technically it is ... With a little theft thrown in for good measure!
Not to mention intentional infliction of emotional distress! She clearly intended to cause him mental anguish
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by BenSenise
now if you had been wearing your F jammies…
Doesn't always work, though. I haven't seen it for a while but there was a phase when people would bring their own F pyjamas whilst travelling in 'other' classes. Possibly a case of "Do You Know Who I Used To Be"
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FatnLoud
Doesn't always work, though. I haven't seen it for a while but there was a phase when people would bring their own F pyjamas whilst travelling in 'other' classes. Possibly a case of "Do You Know Who I Used To Be"
To be fair, I usually wear my ba f pyjamas when in CW, but it is because they are quite comfortable and I don't own any full length night wear. I don't flaunt it though.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
Originally Posted by KARFA
To be fair, I usually wear my ba f pyjamas when in CW, but it is because they are quite comfortable and I don't own any full length night wear. I don't flaunt it though.
I do the gardening in Lufthansa F PJ top - robust, stylish and teutonically efficient!
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
I wear it and look sheepish.

Premier ne puis, Club ne daigne, Beansprout suis
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by CCayley
^+1

Frankly, if anyone really thinks there is nothing wrong with going into a shop, taking an item from the shelves, consuming it, and then leaving without paying for it, the fact that they are clearly not possessed of any understanding of the law is the least of their character defects. They would possess a somewhat defective moral compass, IMHO, which is much more important.
Indeed, and I can't disagree. However the law is an as.s (perhaps a bigger outrage is why as.s without a full stop is a prohibited word on here....)

I'd really like the understand if eating in a supermarket when the "theft" has occurred before "shoplifting" is a crime. I've yet to find (as I said before) case law or law reports on this matter.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Banana4321
Indeed, and I can't disagree. However the law is an as.s (perhaps a bigger outrage is why as.s without a full stop is a prohibited word on here....)

I'd really like the understand if eating in a supermarket when the "theft" has occurred before "shoplifting" is a crime. I've yet to find (as I said before) case law or law reports on this matter.
No because a key definition of theft is the intention to permanently deprive and if you intend on paying then I doubt it's considered theft, wrong yes but theft not really.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by m3red
No because a key definition of theft is the intention to permanently deprive and if you intend on paying then I doubt it's considered theft, wrong yes but theft not really.
My assertion is (not based on perfect information and not pretending to be legally qualified) that if you eat something then because it is inside your body then (by definition) it is yours.

There has been a lot of vitriol and bluster, but no facts to oppose this assertion.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Banana4321
My assertion is (not based on perfect information and not pretending to be legally qualified) that if you eat something then because it is inside your body then (by definition) it is yours.

There has been a lot of vitriol and bluster, but no facts to oppose this assertion.
The act of theft would likely take place not when you consume the item (let's say a chocolate bar) but when you exit the supermarket without paying for it. Arguably it may take place when you consume the item as you have exhausted the utility of the item to its owner but you would be lacking the mens rea for theft if your intent was to pay for the item. This situation may be different in other stores as the act of putting the item on a shelf is simply an invitation to treat, not an offer of sale so there may be a problem in you arguing that you intended to pay for it as the shopkeeper may not have wanted to sell to you. But that's another story.

Whilst you are within the store there is implicit consent to you moving around the items on the shelf. If you choose to consume the chocolate bar then the title in the goods does not transfer. The only way in which the title to he chocolate bar can transfer is by contract or assignment. By presenting yourself at the checkout you are making the offer to purchase and the cashier will then accept that offer. If you present the wrapper of the chocolate bar and pay for it then what is by now in your stomach becomes yours. If you do not do so or you leave the supermarket with the intention of not paying then you have committed theft.

The onus would be on the defendant to show that consuming a chocolate bar in some way transfers title in the goods. It is settled law in England and Wales that merely exhausting the utility of an item to its owner does not in any way affect title to those goods.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
I had a semi-DYKWIA moment earlier this year on AA. Only semi, because everyone was very nice and polite, just talking about DYKWIA topics

I was on the "lovely" JFK-MAN AA 757, and preboarded my exit row seat in economy. A man arrives and asks a cabin crew member if they don't mind hanging their coat, "I don't know if it matters but I am platinum". Still in a nice and polite manner.
Next to me, sits a lady who was again very nice and social, starts talking about how much she travels and the usual during-boarding smalltalk.

Then, out of nowhere, the Purser approaches me. "Mr. Dera, my name is x y, welcome onboard. We do have a spare seat up front if you don't mind sitting in the business class today?"

The looks I got from Mr. Platinum and Mrs. travelalot were priceless

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.