Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA - The 2014 thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Originally Posted by m3red
. The guy to my wife's left kicked off something chronic moaning about all if the op ups.
The DYKWIA was probably on an award ticket, those who rant loudest probably have the least to complain about.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
When Mrs Lem and I were given op-ups to F on EK from DXB-MLE, I asked one of the crew why (this was before I ever posted on here, so was unaware such things existed) and they said the flight was oversold, and everyone in F apart from two people (pointing at a couple in the front row) were upgraded. So sometimes they just tell you
Agree with this. I was in paid f dxb to del and we were the only 2 in f. The other 10 were op ups which we were told (the plane was oversold by something crazy like 50 in y) The seat map is also a good indicator when checking in.

The guy was a real fool, if we wants no others as someone mentioned he should fly private! Also he should not fly ek they routinely op up j to f.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Agree with this. I was in paid f dxb to del and we were the only 2 in f. The other 10 were op ups which we were told (the plane was oversold by something crazy like 50 in y) The seat map is also a good indicator when checking in.

The guy was a real fool, if we wants no others as someone mentioned he should fly private! Also he should not fly ek they routinely op up j to f.

I had a love/hate relationship with this policy on EK. Don't like your J seat? Or just don't like the look of the person next to you? Call the purser and upgrade there and then using miles; provided there is a seat available in F.

Very handy for last minute upgrade, but it does mean the premium cabins are often full.

On my flight to DXB earlier this week, there were 5 of us showing in F at T12. On board, every seat was taken. The CC actually approached me and said "Apologies for the full cabin today, Mr W, unfortunately we're oversold at the back and we've had to move a few people around." She then went on to take the food orders of the 5 "original" F pax before those of the opups.

I see her point, but at the same time I don't think there should be any derision towards Opups; chances are all those pax were GCHs on fairly expensive J tickets in the first place.

I doubt any of them were spitters: http://www.bbcamerica.com/ministry-o...irst-class-my/
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
I tell you what, being in a first class cabin that just so happens to be full is a first world problem I am happy to take off people's hands.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by techie
I tell you what, being in a first class cabin that just so happens to be full is a first world problem I am happy to take off people's hands.
#dubaiproblems !!!

Also as per wozza when I've been in paid f and there are op ups the purser will come and take the food orders from paid pax first.

You can't complain about poor service when there are only 8, 12 or 14 pax!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
#dubaiproblems !!!

Also as per wozza when I've been in paid f and there are op ups the purser will come and take the food orders from paid pax first.

You can't complain about poor service when there are only 8, 12 or 14 pax!
M3red are you in Dubai at the moment?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
M3red are you in Dubai at the moment?
I sure am, I do actually live here right now.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Ah, nothing like a bit of Orwellianism on the world's blingiest airline.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Why on earth do people feel that an F suite to themselves is a right? If we are flying shared transportation, then why does someone else in a seat in your cabin affect you at all?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I had the misfortune to fly EgyptAir a few years back and after connecting through Cairo for my flight to Hurghada suddenly realised that my seat was something like 20, queue a little panic and DYKWIA to the gate agent who kept trying to tell me that I was in the correct seat, i assumed something had been lost in translation , but boy did I feel an idiot when boarding and realised I was in J and was seated at the front due to a strange numbering process . Never flown with an airline since who number in such a strange way.

Flown business and first alone from my late teens, and through my twenties and often dressed very casual, perhaps even very scruffy on occasions , never once had an issue from other pax or airline staff. As for pushing in , life for me is too short to get stressed, I just go with the flow. Learnt how to relax and avoid confrontation whilst in the Middle East and Far East.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
DYKWIA moment with a passenger on the 207 LHR-MIA yesterday. If I'd realised the extent of what had transpired earlier on I'd have caught up with him on the way to immigration.

On the upper deck, I was in 62, he was in 63 or 64 and at the front of the queue to go downstairs. We were at the arrival gate a little ahead of schedule. I was too busy catching up with texts and email in my seat to notice the early stages. There was some shouting from him and a calm explanation from the young MF female crew member about not allowing him to get off until the First cabin has disembarked. He got louder and then started banging on something and shouting that he wanted to get off. Then down the stairs he went.

I was last to get off and made a point to check for the crew members who at this point was just inside the curtain area. I was about to say - somewhat flippantly - that he sounded like a bit of a DYKWIA and noticed she was in floods of tears. I tried to console her and we had a quick chat.

He had gone and probably never thought about the impact he had on this other human being. She was a great crew member and had been serving me throughout the flight. She didn't deserve this treatment. Actually, no one does.

At the door I spoke with the senior cabin crew member who had been up a couple of times to introduce himself to me early on and then just before landing to see how I was getting on. I told him that as far as I could hear the passenger was out of order and to feel free to use me as a witness if they wanted to explore this further and take any action retrospectively.

I saw the crew member in the baggage area later on and she said she was over it.

It makes my blood boil!

Does BA ever take retrospective action against people like this or do they just let it go?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:55 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
DYKWIA moment with a passenger on the 207 LHR-MIA yesterday. If I'd realised the extent of what had transpired earlier on I'd have caught up with him on the way to immigration.

On the upper deck, I was in 62, he was in 63 or 64 and at the front of the queue to go downstairs. We were at the arrival gate a little ahead of schedule. I was too busy catching up with texts and email in my seat to notice the early stages. There was some shouting from him and a calm explanation from the young MF female crew member about not allowing him to get off until the First cabin has disembarked. He got louder and then started banging on something and shouting that he wanted to get off. Then down the stairs he went.

I was last to get off and made a point to check for the crew members who at this point was just inside the curtain area. I was about to say - somewhat flippantly - that he sounded like a bit of a DYKWIA and noticed she was in floods of tears. I tried to console her and we had a quick chat.

He had gone and probably never thought about the impact he had on this other human being. She was a great crew member and had been serving me throughout the flight. She didn't deserve this treatment. Actually, no one does.

At the door I spoke with the senior cabin crew member who had been up a couple of times to introduce himself to me early on and then just before landing to see how I was getting on. I told him that as far as I could hear the passenger was out of order and to feel free to use me as a witness if they wanted to explore this further and take any action retrospectively.

I saw the crew member in the baggage area later on and she said she was over it.

It makes my blood boil!

Does BA ever take retrospective action against people like this or do they just let it go?
First of all, good show for your actions in all of this.

You don't have to go far these days to see notices warning that threats to staff, verbal and physical assaults, bullying and the like will not be tolerated. I guess much will depend on whether the crew member concerned just wants to put it behind her, but judging by your account BA would be well within their rights to pursue this further.

I really don't know what makes people behave like this, but if they were made an example of more often, perhaps in future we would see less of it.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by V10
I really don't know what makes people behave like this, but if they were made an example of more often, perhaps in future we would see less of it.
+1.

Even if they just warn the guy and take no further action this time perhaps it will make him think twice in future?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:06 am

What golfmad said made me curious to ask a bit of an OT question: where is priority disembarkation published as benefit of First (or any other premium cabin) on BA? Granted, it's something that those flying in a premium cabin such as First may expect, but where does it say that it is a paid-and-thus-entitled-to benefit?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: ABBA
Was it a Mid-J? I.e. did DYKWIA also have to wait for the WTP passengers to depart

Mid Js landing at doors-2 when I'm in 15B/D or 16J are always my favourite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.