Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by aahch
    I’m sure this has been asked but I can’t see the wood for the trees when I search this forum ....

My wife has a UK BA PP Amex and we have two 2-4-1 trips coming up that will exhaust our Avios for a while. I have the same card too, and we don’t think we need two separate cards any more as I’m ready to pull the trigger on my final £600 of spend to trigger another 2-4-1 voucher - long story short, my wife’s card seems like the card we don’t need renewed.

Her renewal is April 28th and our trips start/end on March 17/23rd and May 9/19th respectively. Is it possible, wise or indeed stupid to attempt to downgrade the card ahead of the second trip to avoid paying the £195 renewal fee (?). Or, should I just settle myself and pay this fee, and then downgrade as soon as we return for an 11/12th refund of fee (?)

Sorry if this was an easy answer to find ... I didn’t manage to find it - and thanks for any help.
    You can downgrade no problem.
    aahch likes this.
    Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:07 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    I’m sure this has been asked but I can’t see the wood for the trees when I search this forum ....

My wife has a UK BA PP Amex and we have two 2-4-1 trips coming up that will exhaust our Avios for a while. I have the same card too, and we don’t think we need two separate cards any more as I’m ready to pull the trigger on my final £600 of spend to trigger another 2-4-1 voucher - long story short, my wife’s card seems like the card we don’t need renewed.

Her renewal is April 28th and our trips start/end on March 17/23rd and May 9/19th respectively. Is it possible, wise or indeed stupid to attempt to downgrade the card ahead of the second trip to avoid paying the £195 renewal fee (?). Or, should I just settle myself and pay this fee, and then downgrade as soon as we return for an 11/12th refund of fee (?)

Sorry if this was an easy answer to find ... I didn’t manage to find it - and thanks for any help.
    How quickly could you spend £10k in the new card year? If you can do it in 3-6 months, maybe with some brought-forward spend, then that will get you 15k avios and a 241 for £50-100. Must be worth considering: low cost for a short Club Europe trip for two.
    Old Mar 5, 2020, 1:21 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....

No issues. Your 2 for 1 is safe.
    aahch likes this.
    Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
    How quickly could you spend £10k in the new card year? If you can do it in 3-6 months, maybe with some brought-forward spend, then that will get you 15k avios and a 241 for £50-100. Must be worth considering: low cost for a short Club Europe trip for two.
    thanks to all for several quick and helpful answers.

It also goes to show .... I thought I knew a lot of this stuff, but the idea suggested by pauldb above never even crossed my mind !

I can tell you, I can spend that amount in a flash ... but only when Mrs aahch says so 😜 and, sensibly, only when I know whether or what’s happening in terms of bonuses for this year, and if or what job I’ve got next year 😳
    Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Negative Avios balance on account

Owing to covid-19, I’ve just had a hefty refund credited to my BA Amex which in turn has created a sizeable negative Avios balance. Will that negative balance be clawed back from my BAEC account or will it just sit there and I have to spend enough to clear it before I earn any more Avios that can be transferred to my BAEC account?
    Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:10 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    IME, the negative balance sits on the Amex account until it's cleared, and doesn't get clawed back from the BAEC account.
    BAECAddict likes this.
    Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:11 pm
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
    Originally Posted by BAECAddict
    Owing to covid-19, I’ve just had a hefty refund credited to my BA Amex which in turn has created a sizeable negative Avios balance. Will that negative balance be clawed back from my BAEC account or will it just sit there and I have to spend enough to clear it before I earn any more Avios that can be transferred to my BAEC account?
    Will probably sit there.

You should also request that Amex transfer that money back to you. They will do so, once requested.
    BAECAddict likes this.
    Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:15 pm

Been there. The negative avios will just sit there until you earn enough to go back above zero, when transfers to BA will start again. If you have a positive cash balance on the Amex card, you can either spend it, request that it is refunded, or after a while (I think 3 months) Amex will refund it to your bank account anyway if you do nothing.
    BAECAddict likes this.
    Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:10 am

Related to this - I just hit my renewal date with my BA card and was planning on downgrading to the free card (I'm based in Ireland most of the time now so can't use amex as much) but I've just received a big refund on some flights from March.

If I downgrade, will this refund be transfered to the free card and I keep the points it earned? Or am I better off waiting until I've re-spent the amount and then downgrading. From what I've read I get the £195 card fee refunded no matter when I downgrade?
    Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
    Looks like BA just extended all 241 vouchers expiry dates by 6 months.

News broken here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/0...ed-six-months/

Confirmed all of my vouchers whether used and refunded or unused have been extended.

EDIT: Apologies, thought this was the 241 thread, but still useful info though
    alex67500 likes this.

Last edited by 000; Mar 23, 2020 at 10:22 am Reason: Apology
    Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:55 am

Is the BAPP currently the only card where you still get the SUB even if you currently have personal (non-BA) Amex cards (plus the 24 months from BA cards)?
    Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
    Called Amex in Brighton last night as we had reached the 90 days mark from the end of the “1 extra Avios for every £4 of spend” offer. I was missing 1400 Avios from a large spend (For us) on my wife’s supplementary card. Had called previously but had gotten nowhere and been told to wait until the 90 day period from the end of the offer, as in the T&C’s, guy had tried but it seemed beyond his capabilities. Had checked at the time that offer applied to supplementary cards and had been assured that it applied to all BAPP cards.
    As I said called again last night and a great lady at the other end had the Avios in my account by the end of a relatively short phone call. Took my Avios account back into positive territory after being negative from a refund from cancelled flights.
    Just a reminder for you guys out there to make sure you got all your Avios from the offer. It wasn’t the easiest offer to keep track of because of the haphazard way they added the extra Avios to your account.
    Old May 10, 2020, 4:00 am

Is it usual to not be instantly approved online for this card? Always have been instantly approved for previous credit cards (not Amex) so wondering if this is a sign my application will be rejected?
    Old May 10, 2020, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Savvysaz
    Is it usual to not be instantly approved online for this card? Always have been instantly approved for previous credit cards (not Amex) so wondering if this is a sign my application will be rejected?
    Quite normal. It has taken a few days for my approval for various Amex cards- and that was in the pre-COVID days.
    argonath and Savvysaz like this.
    Old May 20, 2020, 4:40 am

A stupid question perhaps..... do avios earned through the Amex card transfer automatically to my exec club? Logging in to my Amex account it tells me how many I have earned for transferring but there appears to be no option for me to transfer them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.