Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
    Sure, can be done via chat or over the phone.
    Thanks I will give it a go tomorrow.

Worked! The staff at Amex Brighton were excellent best service centre contact in a very long time! Cheers John at AMEX Brighton.

Last edited by Jerseylily2; Apr 17, 2019 at 12:20 am
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Ba Exec - Blue
    (UK) Called up to cancel my standard BA Amex yesterday, plan was to cease current card for 6 months, then reapply for premium card so I could reap the 30000 Avios sign-on bonus. But was told now you have to not have had an Amex card for 24 months if you wanted the sign on bonus. Apparently this was brought in last March, booo.
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Has anyone else got the spend "£500 with BA & selected partners and get 500 bonus avios upto 3 times offer"?

I've just just over £1500 to pay off on a BA holiday due this month, I can't see anything stopping me paying it off in 3 chunks of £500 and get 1500 bonus avios.

Has anyone seen any reason this wouldn't work?
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
    I did exactly that during last year’s promotions. I put each payment through for 501 on separate days.
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
    Originally Posted by milkyway88
    Has anyone else got the spend "£500 with BA & selected partners and get 500 bonus avios upto 3 times offer"?

I've just just over £1500 to pay off on a BA holiday due this month, I can't see anything stopping me paying it off in 3 chunks of £500 and get 1500 bonus avios.

just checked mine - i’ve got spend £1500 with BA and avios partners. Not likely to happen with me.
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:14 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by bobbyfunkhouse
    (UK) Called up to cancel my standard BA Amex yesterday, plan was to cease current card for 6 months, then reapply for premium card so I could reap the 30000 Avios sign-on bonus. But was told now you have to not have had an Amex card for 24 months if you wanted the sign on bonus. Apparently this was brought in last March, booo.
    See BA American Express credit card
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:32 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before but can you upgrade from Blue to BAPP if you have previously had the BAPP and downgraded to blue?
    Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
    Originally Posted by milkyway88

Don't see why not.

I am in the same situation and got the same offer. I was happy until I saw that the BA transaction had to be made in GBP - teach me to book an ex-DUB trip with BA Holidays...
    Old May 5, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
    If the person that you are referring for an Amex has had one within the last 2 years they will no longer get the sign up bonus . But will you get the referral bonus ?
    Old May 5, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by simonsmith
    If the person that you are referring for an Amex has had one within the last 2 years they will no longer get the sign up bonus . But will you get the referral bonus ?
    In my experience, yes.
    Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    DOWNGRADING FROM BLACK TO BLUE

If I have understood correctly, applying for a Blue BA Amex will automatically lead to the cancellation of my existing Black PP card. Is that correct ?

If I downgrade from the Black to the Blue, will the new card be a separate account with a new number ? I assume it will, and if that is the case I also assume that any debit / credit balances of cash or Avios would not transfer across between them. Can anyone please confirm ?

What i am really trying to find out is whether if I have earned but not yet transferred Avios on the Black, will they be lost when the Black account is closed ? As a mirror image, if I get a small refund on the Black after closure, I assume will the Black will just stay with a small Avios debit balance ? Is that correct ?
    Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
    Just the last four digits on the card number change, everything else is transferred. It's the same account, just a different suffix.
    Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC, Silver
    Had an email offering 30k avios sign up offer if I get the BAPP Card.
    i already have an amex, so looking to get the BAPP, gain the 30K avios and 2-4-1, and then cancel.

will cancelling pretty much straight after the 30k avios hit my account affect anything? I.e I’m not tied in to the card for X years? They won’t take the Avios back?
    Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
    You will still have to pay your £165 fee, either way.
    Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by subject2load
    You will still have to pay your £165 fee, either way.
    £195 I think. But usually returned proportionally for early cancellation. Not sure if the 30K Avios offer has any special T&Cs attached, really the person receiving the email needs to read the offer carefully.
    subject2load likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.