Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:13 am
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
    Original Poster

Arrow BA American Express credit card

This thread is for questions related to the BA American Express cards that are available to Executive Club members domiciled in the UK.

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

• Annual fee £195 (Supplementary cards free)
    • Welcome bonus: sporadic, see Wiki post above
    • Cardholders earn 3 Avios for every £1 spent on BA purchases, and 1.5 Avios for every £1 spent on all other purchases
    • Companion vouchers earned each year upon reaching a cumulative spend of £10,000 increments. Each voucher is valid for two years and can be used for a guest to accompany the cardholder on a redemption ticket. Redemptions can be one way or round trip (open jaws accepted), must be on BA metal and subject to standard redemption rules
    • Complimentary travel insurance (no medical cover)

British Airways American Express

• No annual fee (Supplementary cards free)
    • Cardholders earn 1 Avios for every £1 spent
    • Companion voucher earned each year upon reaching a cumulative spend of £20,000. Voucher is valid for one year and can be used for a guest to accompany the cardholder on a redemption ticket. Redemptions can be one way or round trip (open jaws accepted), must be on BA metal and subject to standard redemption rules

Using your companion vouchers

The concept behind the voucher is simple. You the cardholder may book a redemption ticket, paid for in Avios and you take a travelling companion along with you. The usual taxes, fees, and surcharges apply to both passengers unfortunately, which are paid for by the card holder.

Standard conditions:
    • The voucher is valid for travel on BA operated flights with BA prefix only
    • Valid towards return flights only, with the journey originating from and returning to your country of membership (with the exception of vouchers issued in the UK which may also be used for one way travel)
    • Taxes, fees and surcharges do apply to the companion as well as the travelling card holder. The card holder will pay the cash supplement assessed for him/herself and all others in the booking, using the credit card associated with the voucher.
    • Combining two vouchers with a single booking is permitted. This allows the travelling card holder to take three travel companions. A maximum of two vouchers can be used towards any single booking.
    • The cardholder can travel without the companion. However, the companion cannot travel without the cardholder.
    • The cardholder cannot cancel the companion's ticket to get your companion voucher back and still fly. In order to get the voucher back, the whole booking must be cancelled and re-book for yourself, provided there is redemption availability.
    • Cancelling a redemption booking does not guarantee the seat(s) will be released back into the award inventory.
    • If the booking is cancelled before 24 hours of the first flight, the Avios, taxes, and fees will be refunded, plus the companion voucher. Generally the voucher and Avios will be refunded quite quickly, with the monetary components taking a few more days to process. A cancellation fee will apply unless you are a BAEC Gold card holder.
    • The voucher can be used for one way itineraries

Promotions
    Amex runs promotions in concert with UK retailers from time to time. Please refer to the Wikipost above for current offers.

A few ground rules
    The previous Amex and BA thread had developed into a tremendously active and fast moving thread which presented significant hurdles to those not able to tune in on a daily basis or were offline due to any travel commitments they had. For the greater good, and health of this mutual resource, please only post in this thread if you have a new promotion to share or are seeking assistance or are able to assist with queries raised by others. Posting of daily spending habits while interesting i'm sure also clogs the arteries and is better shared on Facebook or via PM.

Alternative UK credit cards:
    Lloyds TSB Duo and Premier Duo Avios credit cards | 2013 master thread

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 18, 2020 at 7:38 am Reason: Update annual fee
    Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:49 am
    Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
    Original Poster

2014 Reboot

New year, new thread, same old BA Amex

I've copied the old Wiki across. Please feel free to add any updates and/or remove any obsolete information.

Prospero
    Moderator: BA forum
    Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
    "Taxes, fees and surcharges do apply to the companion as well as the travelling card holder. The card holder will pay the cash supplement assessed for him/herself and all others in the booking, using the credit card associated with the voucher."

Can we clarify this one? It consistently seems to come up as a question - and I don't think this is completely true.

It's pretty much conclusively confirmed now that (for online bookings at least) that any Amex card can be used to pay the associated fee's and taxes. It does not have to be the BA American Express card the voucher was earned against. The booking does require an Amex card be entered, but the online form does not have the ability to distinguish one Amex card from another...
    Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:54 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Neither does Amex do name verification, so whilst the bookers name is hardcoded in the box you can add any Amex number.
    Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC, Amex, SPG Gold, VA Red, HHonours Gold
    I was on the phone to AMEX the other day and the assistant asked me if i want an avios bonus of 500 by having another card that i can use to separate transactions, such as overseas spend for business etc!?
    I have just received a new card in the post which has my name on and the intials A.C after it (i'm guessing to stand for Additional Card)
    Has anyone else had this happen?
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
    Originally Posted by vanilla8
    I was on the phone to AMEX the other day and the assistant asked me if i want an avios bonus of 500 by having another card that i can use to separate transactions, such as overseas spend for business etc!?
    I have just received a new card in the post which has my name on and the intials A.C after it (i'm guessing to stand for Additional Card)
    That is interesting, i have only been offered a card for an additonal person, not for me. I could make use of that if it is available, will have to call them.
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 2:23 pm

Curios about referal bonus. And a ba advert.

When on ba.com (logged out) it mentions 25k bonus miles for a New card holder (not referred) When on amex website it has same and when logged to in to my bapp account to look at referal bonus it is as usual 1k more at 26k for the person and 9k for me.

When logged into my baec account there is an advert mentioning 45k miles, what is that all about, when i click it it just comes up with an error. It looks like a 45k referal bonus, is it a mistake? Misleading? Anyone get the link to work?
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:25 pm

I got my acceptance letter for the pp card today. It says that I get double avios points when booking BA flights - I thought it was triple? Should i call up to double check?
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
    Yes had the offer for an additional card which I accepted. I did have to chase for the bonus points but eventually received them.
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by jonboy73
    Curios about referal bonus. And a ba advert.

When logged into my baec account there is an advert mentioning 45k miles, what is that all about, when i click it it just comes up with an error. It looks like a 45k referal bonus, is it a mistake? Misleading? Anyone get the link to work?
    Refer 5 friends. 5 x 9,000 = 45,000
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
    Refer 5 friends. 5 x 9,000 = 45,000
    Ah, thanks whiskerxx, couldn't get the page to load on the ipad. That explains it.
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by laura711
    I got my acceptance letter for the pp card today. It says that I get double avios points when booking BA flights - I thought it was triple? Should i call up to double check?
    It is double as you get 1.5 for normal spend and 3 per for ba spend.
    Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
    Got offered the same yesterday when I phoned to report a lost card. I figured it might be quite useful, so asked the chap to send one out.
    Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by jonboy73
    It is double as you get 1.5 for normal spend and 3 per for ba spend.
    Thanks a lot, it took me a while to get what you were saying i.e. 1.5x2 = 3! Thanks
    Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
    Originally Posted by Prospero
    British Airways American Express Premium Plus

• Annual fee £150 (Supplementary cards free)
    • Cardholders earn 3 Avios for every £1 spent on BA purchases, and 1.5 Avios for every £1 spent on all other purchases
    • Companion vouchers earned each year upon reaching a cumulative spend of £10,000 increments. Each voucher is valid for two years and can be used for a guest to accompany the cardholder on a redemption ticket. Redemptions can be one way or round trip (open jaws accepted), must be on BA metal and subject to standard redemption rules
    • Complimentary travel insurance (no medical cover)

British Airways American Express

• No annual fee (Supplementary cards free)
    • Cardholders earn 1 Avios for every £1 spent
    • Companion voucher earned each year upon reaching a cumulative spend of £20,000. Voucher is valid for one year and can be used for a guest to accompany the cardholder on a redemption ticket. Redemptions can be one way or round trip (open jaws accepted), must be on BA metal and subject to standard redemption rules

There is some *minimal* travel insurance cover with the free BA Amex. For accidents on public transport, while on holiday. (I enquired about this when talking to Amex CR when obtaining a travel insurance quote.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.