Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:12 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by BertiebassUK
    They come out of your HHA. I just booked my 241 and it takes most from the main, but there is some calculation, I just can't remember it!
    AIUI, redemptions from a HHA take Avios from all of the constituent accounts pro-rata to their balances.

And hence we get a regular stream of posts saying things like "I made a 50,000 Avios redemption but only 46,783 Avios were taken from my account. Has BA made a mistake in my favour?"
    Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:07 am

Hi,

I was just about to order some currency using my BAPP through the BA/Amex portal, but thought I'd check here first to make sure that it's still being treated as a purchase rather than cash. Has anyone tried recently? Thanks!
    Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:26 am

I can confirm that as of Jan/Feb 2014 Amex Travel Money orders were still being treated as purchases rather than cash.

I am sure someone will be along shortly with a more recent data-point.

Last edited by Gulliver_UK; Apr 2, 2014 at 9:27 am Reason: Corrected... treated as purchases rather than cash.
    Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:33 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    what link are you using?
    Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by dc2447
    what link are you using?

https://www.travelmoneynow.com/britishairways/uk/ - I've used it before and it's always been fine but just realised it has been about 6 months sine the last time, and thought I'd doublecheck.
    Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:37 am

Thanks Gulliver
    Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:37 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    Dumb question:

I used to have a supplemental card on my wife's BA Amex - I have no clue where it is now.

I need to get a replacement super quick - is it fastest if I call or my wife? Is there some clever way top request a replacement online?
    Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
    Originally Posted by dc2447
    Dumb question:

I used to have a supplemental card on my wife's BA Amex - I have no clue where it is now.

I need to get a replacement super quick - is it fastest if I call or my wife? Is there some clever way top request a replacement online?
    took about 3-4 working days to get a replacement for me. happened about 3 times and seemed pretty consistent...
    Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
    Amex Travel Money purchased 1st week in March appeared on my statement as a purchase.
    Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: AA BAEC
    Cancelling blue card

HI, I'm contemplating cancelling my BA blue card and waiting however many months (minimum of 6, I know) until a new sign-up bonus comes along for the BAPP.
    Has anyone done this? What reason do you give for cancelling the card? Given that it's free, I can see me floundering on the phone as to why I want to cancel!
    TIA
    Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:19 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by bcfan
    HI, I'm contemplating cancelling my BA blue card and waiting however many months (minimum of 6, I know) until a new sign-up bonus comes along for the BAPP.
    Has anyone done this? What reason do you give for cancelling the card? Given that it's free, I can see me floundering on the phone as to why I want to cancel!
    TIA
    You don't really need a reason, amex agents are usually very nice and if they do ask it is just out of interest rather than any attempt to grill you and find out what your cc churn plan is. If you want to you can always send a letter which is what I tend to do just saying you want to cancel the card. You should get confirmation within a week or two.
    Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Just gone to buy some currency and had my BA Amex refused. The amount I tried to buy was well below my cash threshold limit, but it exceeded the daily cash advance limit (£400), as such my card was declined and the website directed me to Amex. I spoke to two separate agents and they both told me the same, ie I was exceeding daily limit and they both warned me about 3% surcharge.
    Can anyone advise if there is anyway around this daily limit?

TIA
    Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL
    So I live at home with my parents. The household income (i.e. their wages) is above the threshold. Can I apply for a card?
    Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by c1223
    So I live at home with my parents. The household income (i.e. their wages) is above the threshold. Can I apply for a card?
    Pretty sure you can apply, can't say if you'll be accepted. They'll decide once they've ran their credit checks.

If you'd like a referral though, please let me know.
    Old Apr 16, 2014, 5:51 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by zanderblue
    Just gone to buy some currency and had my BA Amex refused. The amount I tried to buy was well below my cash threshold limit, but it exceeded the daily cash advance limit (£400), as such my card was declined and the website directed me to Amex. I spoke to two separate agents and they both told me the same, ie I was exceeding daily limit and they both warned me about 3% surcharge.
    Can anyone advise if there is anyway around this daily limit?

TIA
    No.

The 3 per cent thing is rubbish if you are buying from travelmoneynow, by the way. It will be treated as a purchase and earn miles.

By the way, you will probably find that the declined transactions are still counted towards the monthly 'cash threshold limit'!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.