Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by AAtticus
    Unless the rental agency marks it as a payment and not a hold / deposit it will not give you any benefits.
    Seeing as most agencies even have their own MCC then AMEX can correctly map it to a deposit / hold.
    Just to add that in my experience, admittedly with much smaller amounts, even if it goes through as a payment and then is subsequently refunded to the account it will have a nil impact on reaching the £10k spend target.
    Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
    Can anyone please confirm that currently an airline ticket booked through Ebookers (part of Expedia) comes up as airline spend, for the 3x spend on the BAPP (if a BA flight) or as 2x miles on the Amex Gold (for other airlines) ?
    Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
    Heads up: I received a targeted offer from BA for an increased signup bonus of 30k instead of 25k Avios.

If you're thinking of taking out a new BAPP it might be worth checking your inbox...
    Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
    Can anyone please confirm that currently an airline ticket booked through Ebookers (part of Expedia) comes up as airline spend, for the 3x spend on the BAPP (if a BA flight) or as 2x miles on the Amex Gold (for other airlines) ?
    Haven't tried this but it is most unlikely to count as airline or BA spend I'm afraid. Simply put: ebookers is not an airline.
    Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:33 am

"no available offers"

I've had a BA Amex for a few years and upgraded to the Premium last year.

I monitor the Amex App frequently, and usually there 5-20 offers. Granted, most are for luxury fashion or jewelry brands I'm not interested in, but sometimes there are more useful ones - Caffe Nero, various restaurants, hotels, etc. - or even, a couple of months ago, Wilkos (very handy for gift cards).

Regardless, there have always been some offers available - until today: "You currently have no available Offers. Please try again later." The few offers I'd saved are still there.

Is this common? Although my spend rate on the card over the last 3 months or so has been a bit higher than previously, I can't imagine that's the reason.
    Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:37 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
    Originally Posted by squawk
    I've had a BA Amex for a few years and upgraded to the Premium last year.

I monitor the Amex App frequently, and usually there 5-20 offers. Granted, most are for luxury fashion or jewelry brands I'm not interested in, but sometimes there are more useful ones - Caffe Nero, various restaurants, hotels, etc. - or even, a couple of months ago, Wilkos (very handy for gift cards).

Regardless, there have always been some offers available - until today: "You currently have no available Offers. Please try again later." The few offers I'd saved are still there.

Is this common? Although my spend rate on the card over the last 3 months or so has been a bit higher than previously, I can't imagine that's the reason.
    I had that a couple of days ago but it is now back. Probably just a glitch.
    Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
    Originally Posted by squawk
    "You currently have no available Offers. Please try again later." The few offers I'd saved are still there.
    Same in the app on my own card on my own account. Offers still show on my secondary card on my partner's account. Offers still show on all accounts on the website.
    Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
    I had that a couple of days ago but it is now back. Probably just a glitch.
    Originally Posted by rjn21
    Same in the app on my own card on my own account. Offers still show on my secondary card on my partner's account. Offers still show on all accounts on the website.
    Ah, right. In my case they're not showing up on the website either, but assume this is a glitch. Thanks.
    Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:20 pm

I had BAPP, got the Companion voucher then downgraded to BA Blue card. I have now spent nearly 20k between both cards & my account states I am nearly there to get my companion voucher for spending 20k, is this correct?
    Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by Tilly71
    I had BAPP, got the Companion voucher then downgraded to BA Blue card. I have now spent nearly 20k between both cards & my account states I am nearly there to get my companion voucher for spending 20k, is this correct?
    No afraid not. Only one voucher per account per year, and it should be regarded as the same account after the downgrade. The counter on the web site is known to be incorrect in these circumstances.
    Tilly71 likes this.
    Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
    Originally Posted by mike&co

You should be fine as it will take a couple of days to reach the account. I had a similar situation last year.
    I would ring BA holidays and agree to pay it a day late, I’ve left my wallet at home type story.
    Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:06 am

Bought foreign currency through the Travel Extra's Travelex link, does anyone know how long it takes for the Avios to be credited to your BAEC account ?
    Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
    UK PP card with US BA Exec number?

My wife and I live half the year in the UK and the rest in the US (homes and bank accounts in each country).
    I am registered in the BA UK Exec programme and am the primary holder of a UK AMEX PP. I would like my wife to apply for a UK AMEX PP based on her UK ties, but it would be more practical for her to retain her US registration as a BA US Exec.
    AMEX can't tell us if the Avios she would earn will automatically post to her US BA account, given that the card will be tied to her UK address, and the BA account to her US one.
    Does anyone know if the two addresses need to be identical, please?
    There's no point in having the card issued with the high fee, only to find that the Avios won't post.
    Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
    Originally Posted by Full Score
    My wife and I live half the year in the UK and the rest in the US (homes and bank accounts in each country).
    I am registered in the BA UK Exec programme and am the primary holder of a UK AMEX PP. I would like my wife to apply for a UK AMEX PP based on her UK ties, but it would be more practical for her to retain her US registration as a BA US Exec.
    AMEX can't tell us if the Avios she would earn will automatically post to her US BA account, given that the card will be tied to her UK address, and the BA account to her US one.
    Does anyone know if the two addresses need to be identical, please?
    There's no point in having the card issued with the high fee, only to find that the Avios won't post.
    Not sure about the answer but remember UK cards refund pro-rata if cancelled, so if you took it out, found out it didn't and cancelled after one month 11/12 of the fee would be refunded.

Last edited by strickers; Mar 15, 2019 at 11:00 am Reason: Spelling
    Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:11 pm

I applied for a UK AmEx with a Swiss-based EC account. I got a message from AmEx saying the avios transfer failed and that I'd need to move my EC account to the UK. I did that, and the avios credited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.