Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:45 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by Full Score
    Would that be San Diego by any chance? Yesterday they cancelled most of the direct flights from LHR in Thanksgiving week.
    No one has an explanation. Any ideas anyone?
    Thanksgiving is often a reason in itself because of the reduction in business traffic. It's very common to see flights around that time being cancelled.
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:15 am

No , my flight is SOF for February 2020....
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
    BA has cancelled LHR-SAN on five consecutive days, Nov 25-29, 2019. Does anyone know the reason, please?
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
    BA has cancelled LHR-SAN on five consecutive days, Nov 25-29, 2019. Does anyone know the reason, please?
    That's not really a question for the BA Amex card thread is it...
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:46 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magic01273
    That's not really a question for the BA Amex card thread is it...
    In addition to which, that OP had just asked the same question in this thread and had an answer.
    Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
    Magic01273 & Globaliser
    Apologies for posting in the incorrect forum. My mistake.
    Old Jul 19, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA
    I've booked an outbound next Summer using a 2-4-1 voucher and am awaiting availability for the return leg. Is there a time-limit on booking the return?
    Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Originally Posted by flyingManc
    I've booked an outbound next Summer using a 2-4-1 voucher and am awaiting availability for the return leg. Is there a time-limit on booking the return?
    Only that it must be added before you fly the outbound (perhaps 24hrs before). By extension, the inbound can be up to virtually a year after the outbound.
    Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BA
    Originally Posted by pauldb

Only that it must be added before you fly the outbound (perhaps 24hrs before). By extension, the inbound can be up to virtually a year after the outbound.
    cheers
    Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    An unexpected letter from Amex today.

For nearly 20 years I’ve had a Platinum Cashback credit card (Amex Blue I think originally) for the sole reason that under the old rules it has perpetually made my BAPP a companion card with a reduced £30 annual fee.

Amex have just cancelled the Platinum card because I haven’t used for 12 months, for my protection! Apparently my last statement gave me notice - apparently I filed that in the shredder too hastily.

I won’t know if that ends my BAPP grandfathered fee until next May, but I do feel a bit targeted, given the other loopholes Amex are closing down.

So, if anyone keeps a card in their drawer for the same reason, I suggest you give it a quick outing just in case.

Anyone else had had the same?
    Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold; Accor Le Club Gold
    Amex Platinum in addition to BA Premium Plus Amex?

I have a BA Premium Plus card and spend substantially above the £10,000 threshold for the 2-for-1 voucher. I am wondering if I should switch some spending to another card to maximize avios and other travel benefits. The Amex Platinum card has some good benefits if a reasonably high annual fee. I wondered if other FlyerTalk members mix their on BA Amex and other cards - any recommendations? Also any Amex Platinum card holders here - again any comments?

Thanks in advance!
    Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:19 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
    I wondered if other FlyerTalk members mix their on BA Amex and other cards - any recommendations?
    Partly because we currently have more Avios than we can use, and partly because I'm a bit fed up with Amex's treatment of me, I now restrict the use of my BA Amex to purchases from BA: 3 Avios per £1 spent, and I think that we would comfortably spend over £10,000 a year even on that approach. For everything else, I'm currently using the MBNA Visas that replaced the miles-earning cards that they used to operate: 0.5% cashback and 0% forex fee. I don't like playing the market for credit cards, and so that's a reasonable mix for me.

I have looked at the Amex Platinum charge card but I wouldn't get enough value from the annual fee.
    Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:30 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Cool More cards!

Curiously, I have just done that this morning!

Like you, BA Amex PP and I easily cross the £10k threshold. Also have a MBNA Visa, which over the years acquired a 5-digit credit limit (useful insurance when abroad,)

I have now just opened a Starling Bank account, with associated MasterCard. The latter does not charge foreign transaction fees, so will be getting a stiff test in a few weeks while spending a fortnight shopping in the USA. The loss of Avios on the BA Amex is not a big issue for us ... avoiding endless transaction fees abroad certainly is! Finding a £40-£50 fee tacked on to hotel bills is more than annoying. Indeed, the potential savings might even cover the Amex PP fee!
    Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Originally Posted by LondonTechTraveller
    I have a BA Premium Plus card and spend substantially above the £10,000 threshold for the 2-for-1 voucher. I am wondering if I should switch some spending to another card to maximize avios and other travel benefits. The Amex Platinum card has some good benefits if a reasonably high annual fee. I wondered if other FlyerTalk members mix their on BA Amex and other cards - any recommendations? Also any Amex Platinum card holders here - again any comments?
    That's my mix, I have the Platinum mostly for the perks, my car hires, and some of the offers -- often Hilton these days. The rest goes on the BAPP to get the voucher and the 1.5x Avios.

If Amex hadn't changed their rules, I may have had a look at the SPG Amex, for lack of a Hilton UK Credit Card. But if there's no bonus, no chance.
    Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
    I am thinking about the ba Amex card. As Amex withdrew from the Lloyds Duo card I was hoping to take advantage of the bonus Avios but, if I remember correctly - if had any Amex card during the previous 12 months I don't get that.
    So disappointing as it wasn't me who chose to have Amex withdrawn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.