Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:34 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by wdcosta117
    Oh and just thought id only get £1 to 1 Avios rather than the 1.5 if using a BA card.
    3 Avios per £1 spent with BA - which could be a significant difference, depending on your spending patterns.
    Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:34 am

Apologies in advance if this and probably is a stupid question.

The only difference between say the BA Amex Black (premium) Card compared to the Gold Amex card is the 2 for 1 voucher?

As with the Gold amex card I can convert the points to Avios? If so is this an easy process. Oh and just thought id only get £1 to 1 Avios rather than the 1.5 if using a BA card.

Sorry just really new to credit cards and applied for the BA standard card last week and was accepted so there sending it out this week. However after speaking to customer service they mentioned I can change to any account once I’ve received the card. Was thinking of the premium BA card but starting to think of the gold one now.

Not sure ill make the £10,000 every year and heard mixed reviews on the 241 voucher.

As a relatively new entrant to the BA Premium Card all I can say it that it is a no-brainer. All we are doing is routing all our usual shopping and purchases through our Amex (holidays, non-BA flights along with BA flights etc) and you will be surprised how much of your normal monthly spend you can us to your advantage.
    As for the voucher the best way to use it is on long distance flights..since having the card my partner and I have been to Barbados on Club World and have just booked NYC in hopefully Club Suite for next September 2020. My partner has a voucher ready to use for taking her Mum to NYC in April 2021 and I'm currently over half way towards another 2-4-1 voucher just with normal spend along with BA flights to NYC and Easyjet flights to Mallorca.
    Overall it is a great card to have..
    Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Thanks both for the advice thus far.

Completely agree that it seems a no-brainer and defiantly if i use it for all my spending it will amount up and probably surprise me. Was just weighing it up with the gold card however after some more research since posting think the BA premium card suits me more.

Slightly separate note; When you have you flights paid for inst it more expensive to book the hotels separately?! Ive always found package hotels (BA holidays) much more reasonable. Its only as you mentioned Barbados, i thought having your BA tickets pad for via the companion voucher is great but how did you book the hotel, booking.com or such? Always found this allot more expensive.
    Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Thanks both for the advice thus far.

Completely agree that it seems a no-brainer and defiantly if i use it for all my spending it will amount up and probably surprise me. Was just weighing it up with the gold card however after some more research since posting think the BA premium card suits me more.

Slightly separate note; When you have you flights paid for inst it more expensive to book the hotels separately?! Ive always found package hotels (BA holidays) much more reasonable. Its only as you mentioned Barbados, i thought having your BA tickets pad for via the companion voucher is great but how did you book the hotel, booking.com or such? Always found this allot more expensive.
    I have always booked the hotels separately. If using a major chain generally through their website so I get the points as well, if not then through some sort of 3rd party site.....I booked The House in Barbados using Expedia which had the best prices at the time - and used my BA Companion Voucher for 2 first class tickets

I am quite happy to pay a little extra for the hotel and get a better class of travel on the plane.
    Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:23 pm

I took out a BAPP card earlier this year and have now unlocked the 2-4-1 voucher. What should we do next? I could refer my wife and we could route our spending through a BAPP account in her name. I also have a HSBC Premier Mastercard and Amex Platinum Cashback.
    Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by Flyingred
    I took out a BAPP card earlier this year and have now unlocked the 2-4-1 voucher. What should we do next? I could refer my wife and we could route our spending through a BAPP account in her name. I also have a HSBC Premier Mastercard and Amex Platinum Cashback.
    It depends what you want. If you want to continue getting Avios then I would
    1. Refer you wife for the BAPP card
    2. Get the gold or platinum card referred, and bag the bonus points
    3. Cancel your BAPP
    4. Refer wife to gold or platinum card
    5. Cancel your gold or platinum and now wait 24 months for the next eligibility for referral bonus
    6. decide whether worthwhile to keep the gold or platinum

Something roughly like this to maximise points and then wait 24 months to do it all again
    Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
    I downgraded in the Summer due to moving abroad. Have just realised that with upcoming flights [wedding etc] I probably could hit £10k. If I get them to upgrade, does anyone know if the membership year will run from the anniversary [June ish] or from when I upgrade?

Also when I downgraded the existing card kept working, but posted to the new product - is that still the case? First flight purchases are likely to be next week, if Black Friday is interesting again...
    Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by etiene
    I downgraded in the Summer due to moving abroad. Have just realised that with upcoming flights [wedding etc] I probably could hit £10k. If I get them to upgrade, does anyone know if the membership year will run from the anniversary [June ish] or from when I upgrade?

Also when I downgraded the existing card kept working, but posted to the new product - is that still the case? First flight purchases are likely to be next week, if Black Friday is interesting again...
    When I upgraded a few years ago, they kept the same anniversary date and transferred the spend to date also, so I got credit for the spend on the card in the current year for the 2-1 voucher.
    etiene likes this.
    Old Nov 22, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
    Originally Posted by etiene
    Yes, you can use either card - they will both feed through to the same account. You will get the points based on the 'active' card, but can still use the other whilst waiting for the new one to arrive in the post.
    etiene likes this.
    Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    Anyone else had the offer "spend £4 get 1 bonus avios" on their BAPP card? Does it show up in your offers tab? Amex have a habit of showing me offers I don't qualify for. I'm just waiting for a transaction to post to see if I get extra Avios.
    Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
    It's in my saved offers, without me adding it.
    Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    Thanks. It's not in mine, just the banner, I'll be calling tomorrow then.
    Old Dec 5, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
    It's in my saved offers, without me adding it.
    Ditto.
    Also had a email from Amex today about it.
    Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    I also received an email. It says I am automatically enrolled.

To make this holiday season even more rewarding,
    every time you spend £4 on your British Airways American Express® Premium Plus Card you will collect
    1 bonus Avios until 27 December 2019.

Spending £20 on a gift? That’s 5 bonus Avios. So now all your Christmas shopping can help you get closer to your next dream holiday.

How do I get the offer?

You’re already enrolled! Just continue to spend on your Card and start collecting bonus Avios.

I've not checked if it is in my saved offers tab in my online Amex account.

Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:50 am

Likewise, this one appeared in my saved offers without my having saved it. No email received.

Not unwelcome, though - on the Premium card, that’s 35 Avios per £20 of general spend (20 x 1.5 with 5 extra), or 65 per £20 spent at BA. You’d get a few more than that with a BA holidays booking!

Does anyone know how these show up on the statement? Just a higher earn per transaction I guess, rather than a separate line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.