Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
    I'm looking at the Natwest Rewards card with the current account.
    Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Furton
    Now that Tesco have stopped being an Avios partner, what card would you recommend using a partner card for the Amex that still collects Avios where Amex isn't accepted?
    if you meet the HSBC Premier criteria then the World MasterCard is about the best.
    Keystone likes this.
    Old Jan 18, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
    Originally Posted by Furton
    ....what card would you recommend using a partner card for the Amex that still collects Avios where Amex isn't accepted?
    Take a look at https://www.capitalontap.com. I use it whenever AMEX is not accepted. Points can be switched to Avios instantaneously at a 1:1 ratio.
    Old Mar 4, 2021, 8:04 am
    A13

Programs: BA Silver
    Question, currently have a BAPP which, due to refunds has a negative avios balance of -6,711.
    I've already earned my companion voucher and have switched my spending to my Amex Gold Rewards instead (mainly due to this negative balance, and also to hit to 10k point renewal bonus), so not really using it anymore.
    I know that the negative balance will sit there and get eroded by spending but wont come off my BAEC balance. But what happens If i cancel the card, is the negative balance written off or will it then come off my BAEC account?
    Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
    Originally Posted by A13
    Question, currently have a BAPP which, due to refunds has a negative avios balance of -6,711.
    I've already earned my companion voucher and have switched my spending to my Amex Gold Rewards instead (mainly due to this negative balance, and also to hit to 10k point renewal bonus), so not really using it anymore.
    I know that the negative balance will sit there and get eroded by spending but wont come off my BAEC balance. But what happens If i cancel the card, is the negative balance written off or will it then come off my BAEC account?
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by bakera; Mar 5, 2021 at 4:08 am Reason: Removed incorrect information as corrected by Globaliser further down.
    Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:31 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by bakera
    The negative Avios balance will be written off at your card renewal or cancellation.
    If by "renewal" you mean simply going into the next membership year, that's never yet happened to me. I've had negative balances sitting firmly in my account from one membership year into the next.
    Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
    I have had a negative balance written off at cancellation but never had it written off at renewal.
    dougzz and A13 like this.
    Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:14 am
    Suspended

Hi,

Last May I signed up for the BA Premium AMEX credit card. I reached the £3k spend score and didn't think I would reach the £10k spend for the companion voucher, and so swapped onto the regular (free) BA AMEX. Now it seems that I've already spent £10k on it this year, but I won't make it to the £20k by May, to reach the threshold for the companion voucher.

Would I be able to request a BA Premium AMEX again, and would I automatically get the companion voucher? Is it worth the £195? I have about 110k Avios at present but can always go on a mission to collect more.
    Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:07 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
    Originally Posted by Globaliser
    If by "renewal" you mean simply going into the next membership year, that's never yet happened to me. I've had negative balances sitting firmly in my account from one membership year into the next.
    Sorry Globaliser - you are correct. I confused this with the earning threshold being reset. The negative Avios balance does remain as you say.
    Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Does anybody know if Amex do a credit search when upgrading from the blue to the black card? And is a soft or hard search?
    Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    Does anybody know if Amex do a credit search when upgrading from the blue to the black card? And is a soft or hard search?
    Not the exact same scenario but when I cancelled my BAPP card and got the Gold card instead there didn’t appear to be a hard search.
    Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:59 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    No credit search either 'soft' or 'hard' was carried out when I upgraded my BA Blue Amex to the BA Black Amex card last year.(according to the three credit reference agency files). I had held the Blue card for quite a number of years though if that makes any difference.
    Old Mar 12, 2021, 6:34 am

What are the rules for using the companion after you have cancelled your card? Can I still use the companion or does that get removed too?

Previously I seem to remember someone at BA saying that you can still use the voucher but you must use another Amex card to pay for the fees on the redemption. Is that right? And if so does it need to be a card in your own name or can it be a partner?
    Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:29 am
    A13

Programs: BA Silver
    Originally Posted by DG55
    What are the rules for using the companion after you have cancelled your card? Can I still use the companion or does that get removed too?

Previously I seem to remember someone at BA saying that you can still use the voucher but you must use another Amex card to pay for the fees on the redemption. Is that right? And if so does it need to be a card in your own name or can it be a partner?
    Once the voucher is in your BAEC its yours. Wont get removed if you cancel the card (or get refunds taking you below the spend threshold).
    Have to use an AMEX to pay for the taxes on a redemption, but can be any Amex, no necessarily a BA one or the one you used to earn the voucher.
    Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
    Originally Posted by watsonville
    Hi,

Last May I signed up for the BA Premium AMEX credit card. I reached the £3k spend score and didn't think I would reach the £10k spend for the companion voucher, and so swapped onto the regular (free) BA AMEX. Now it seems that I've already spent £10k on it this year, but I won't make it to the £20k by May, to reach the threshold for the companion voucher.

Would I be able to request a BA Premium AMEX again, and would I automatically get the companion voucher? Is it worth the £195? I have about 110k Avios at present but can always go on a mission to collect more.
    By all accounts, you should be able to switch to a BAPP and gain the 241 voucher immediately as you have already passed £10k. The 241 voucher gained from the BAPP is valid for 2 years vs 1 year on the free card - this may be worth £195 in itself as it makes it useable when it comes to booking 355 days out. As a slight covid anomaly, vouchers earned at the moment come with and extra 6 months validity so you would get 2.5 years to use it. And you could presumably switch back to the regular card once you have the voucher - Amex annual fees are refunded pro rata so it is not a £195 total loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.