Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
    Originally Posted by davidcamp6
    Apologies
    No problems davidcamp6 - I am currently thinking about cancelling my Times sub, given they've just terminated the Travel magazine. Your post seemed to offer an alternative and I thought it best to post the restriction

I may have a chat with Brighton and see if they would consider making the offer to personal customers in the light of the lack of travel opportunities... yeah, right!
    oxfordjames likes this.
    Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
    When I completed a survey, I did raise the issue of the redundancy of the PP card. They called me. Although clearly reading from a script they had flexibility and offered £150 off next years fee as a gesture to keep me enrolled. I don't have a massive spend on the card, I am a sole trader and use it for travel and hotels.
    Tocsin likes this.
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 5:16 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
    So I learnt today that Amex will take thousands over the amount owed if you have had a big merchant refund in the month.

They are quite happy for the card to be thousands in credit.

And if you are abroad and opted not to bring the card away you can't get the money refunded.

The direct debit is only adjusted if you make payments and any merchant refunds are ignored.

Or I can pay 3% fx fee to use the credit (I have the card on my hotel account so can still use it)

Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:14 am

Don't waste free points. Just get them to pay the balance to your bank account.
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:28 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mhrb
    Don't waste free points. Just get them to pay the balance to your bank account.
    Not free points.

My card was wrongly charged and then refunded within 24 hours. However a Statement was issued between these events.

Amex will ignore any merchant refunds in the direct debit apparently and this they tell you in the letter.

You have to cancel the direct debit to avoid Amex taking the money in addition to the refund by the merchant.

You then need to wait for the refund which takes two weeks if you have the card in front of you. If you don't then there is no refund until you do or spend the money again to bring the account from a large credit situation to a debit one.

In the meantime they will sit on thousands and you cannot do anything about it.

My chat with them fell on deaf ears and all they could say is that all card holders agree that merchant refunds will not alter the direct debit even if this makes the card in credit which is also not allowed 😂 😂

You can't win!
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:29 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

I did offer to spend it abroad but this will cost me £100 for the privilege of spending the money they owe me. I am loath to do this
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:34 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by GentleGiant
    You then need to wait for the refund which takes two weeks if you have the card in front of you.
    Why do you need to have the card in front of you? I've had all my refunds organised via live chat, which didn't ever ask me if I had the card.
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:38 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Globaliser
    Why do you need to have the card in front of you? I've had all my refunds organised via live chat, which didn't ever ask me if I had the card.
    They want the 4 digits from the front
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:40 am

Yeah you don't need the card at all. And just request the refund.

If you have such severe cashflow issues that this is a problem, simply disable direct debits on that card if you don't want them going out when not necessary.

edit: presumably you've memorised the 4 digits on the front or just put them in your password vault
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:41 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    They want the 4 digits from the front
    So you don't need to have the card in front of you!
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:48 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Globaliser
    So you don't need to have the card in front of you!
    I can't recall the 4 digit security number 😂

Too many cards.
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 6:49 am
    Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mhrb
    Yeah you don't need the card at all. And just request the refund.

If you have such severe cashflow issues that this is a problem, simply disable direct debits on that card if you don't want them going out when not necessary.

edit: presumably you've memorised the 4 digits on the front or just put them in your password vault
    We are talking about several thousand pounds.

I have no plans to spend that on that Amex in the next couple of months as I am currently abroad.
    Old Oct 20, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
    Why don’t you cancel the DD?
    Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:26 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't recall the 4 digit security number 😂

Too many cards.
    Excel spreadsheett with two passwords is the way I do it

All card numbers are listed and if a card is replaced and number changed I use an additional sheet on excel listing them and when they changed.

So the excel spreadsheet has a password then I use winzip with another password.
    James91 likes this.
    Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:36 am

After 10 years I've finally downgraded from the Premium to the basic card. I could no longer justify the 195 pound fee against the backdrop of ongoing travel disruption and the inability to use 2-4-1 even for short haul without testing/qurantine either end. Tesco no longer being an Avios partner also at the back of my mind although in truth the whole points game has taken a tumble in recent years.

I'll still plod along with the free card and never say never, I might stump up for the Premium in the future

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.