Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:57 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:16 pm
    Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:15 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by angatol
    I have both and almost all of my spend is abroad. If most of my spend wasn't on expenses, then the Lloyds card makes much more sense. The 3% foreign transaction fee swamps the slightly better aviios earning rate.
    Have to agree with angatol ... the 3% Forex fee on the Amex does make our [not insubtantial] overseas spend quite expensive. I'm considering using my BA PP Amex for all UK-based bookings of flights and cars and general living [3x or 1.5x Avios], and getting the Lloyds Avios for spend abroad without Forex charges. A $3,000 hotel bill in the US racks up a £90 penalty in fees, and we're not Avios-poor. Add in all the shopping, eating and drinking, and I'm probably paying >£200 in fees on our typical trip to the US.

I just need to get a Round Tuit.
    Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by T8191
    Have to agree with angatol ... the 3% Forex fee on the Amex does make our [not insubtantial] overseas spend quite expensive. I'm considering using my BA PP Amex for all UK-based bookings of flights and cars and general living [3x or 1.5x Avios], and getting the Lloyds Avios for spend abroad without Forex charges. A $3,000 hotel bill in the US racks up a £90 penalty in fees, and we're not Avios-poor. Add in all the shopping, eating and drinking, and I'm probably paying >£200 in fees on our typical trip to the US.

I just need to get a Round Tuit.
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. ^

I have been quite happy paying the Lloyds Amex 3% forex fee on business expenses as I claim back the fee as well as the original charge, and enjoying the bonus Avios. The only downside is that the fee and the transaction come up as separate transactions on the statement, which makes it an administrative nightmare.

For personal spending abroad I use the Halifax Clarity MasterCard. No Avios on that spending unfortunately, but they do not charge any foreign transaction fees including on cash withdrawals, which is handy.
    Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:50 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:29 pm
    Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:22 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of us only spend our own money, of course
    Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by angatol
    I use the Lloyds avios card for personal spending. I rarely take cash out as I pay for everything on the card.
    Oh I see! I was on the old Lloyds TSB Duos card which does not have fee-free forex. 3% fee on foreign transactions but double Avios. 3% is a lot to pay on personal holiday spending even if it earns double Avios. In hindsight, I should have just upgraded this to a newer product with Lloyds.

Thanks again all.
    Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:48 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:20 pm
    Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
    Just off the phone from Amex and the chap was insistant that if i cancelled my ba amex premium card i would loose my already earned companion voucher. He really was very firm about it...is that true? tx
    Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:19 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

And ... the game keeps changing.

About to refer my BIL for the basic Amex Blue card, and I see that BA spend no longer earns 1.5 Amex ... just a flat 1-1. However, we can both benefit from the referral, especially if he pays the hotel bill with his new Amex to gain the bonus, and I reimburse him via a bank transfer.
    Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by simonsmith
    Just off the phone from Amex and the chap was insistant that if i cancelled my ba amex premium card i would loose my already earned companion voucher. He really was very firm about it...is that true? tx
    Unless it's already been redeemed, he's right as far as I know.
    Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:56 pm

By the way, why cancelling it? If you just downgrade to the Blue (free) card, you get to keep the voucher, which will still be valid for 2 years. By doing this, you also retain the flexibility of cancelling your redemption if needed, and having the voucher being reissued to you.
    Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:46 pm

Got told the same when I called up to cancel today - maybe we got the same agent? AFAIK he is making it up and experience on here is that Amex doesn't cancel 241s but it'll be interesting to see if this is a new policy.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: Varies
    Quick question regarding BA Amex referrals.

If my partner currently has a supplementary card under my (standard BA amex) account, and I refer him for a premium plus account, will he fall foul of the 6 month rule for the 26k avios bonus? I thought he'd be OK, but he's nervous about answering the question on the form that asks if he's held an account in the last 6 months.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ttama
    Quick question regarding BA Amex referrals.

If my partner currently has a supplementary card under my (standard BA amex) account, and I refer him for a premium plus account, will he fall foul of the 6 month rule for the 26k avios bonus? I thought he'd be OK, but he's nervous about answering the question on the form that asks if he's held an account in the last 6 months.
    That's fine. Supplementary cards don't matter.
    Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Varies
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    That's fine. Supplementary cards don't matter.
    Thank you. I didn't want to embarrass my partner by making him do something fraudulent.

Btw, I see that on various flyertalk threads, people post details of their unused referrals. Is this something that's useful to others? If so, where's the best place to post details of what I can refer people for? Referring my partner is the first time I've done this, but if it helps anyone else I'm happy to oblige.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.