Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by Blueboys999
    Finding myself in a virtually identical position I intended to cancel renewal but it slipped my mind. Do you get a pro rata refund of the fee when you cancel during the year?
    Yes you get a pro rata refund of the fee.
    Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
    Originally Posted by parklife
    Yes you get a pro rata refund of the fee.
    Many thanks ^
    Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
    Not sure if this has been covered before.

Last year I made the £20k spend with a month to spare.

According to my on-line account, "To earn your Companion Voucher, spend £20,000 or more on purchases using your card before 02 Oct 2014". I have taken a screen shot of this statement.

So I waited until 02 Oct to book two tickets which I wanted on my 2014/2015 account. This spend (around £1k) was then placed on my 2013/2014 account.

I phoned to complain and my complaint was passed to their "Customer Care" department who wrote to me saying that my account ENDS on the 2nd and STARTS on the 3rd.

I feel this is misleading. Had I known this I would have waited until the 3rd to book my flights.

Has this occurred before? Do you think I have any chance of having this overturned?
    Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
    Not sure if this has been covered before.

Last year I made the £20k spend with a month to spare.

According to my on-line account, "To earn your Companion Voucher, spend £20,000 or more on purchases using your card before 02 Oct 2014". I have taken a screen shot of this statement.

So I waited until 02 Oct to book two tickets which I wanted on my 2014/2015 account. This spend (around £1k) was then placed on my 2013/2014 account.

I phoned to complain and my complaint was passed to their "Customer Care" department who wrote to me saying that my account ENDS on the 2nd and STARTS on the 3rd.

I feel this is misleading. Had I known this I would have waited until the 3rd to book my flights.

Has this occurred before? Do you think I have any chance of having this overturned?
    I had a similar situation this year - it said spend £10,000 before the 12th March, I wanted it in the new spending year and made a big purchase on the 12th - which like you went in the previous spend year. I contacted them and said it wasn't clear - they accepted that and said that if I contacted them once my spend reached £9k they would then activate the companion voucher. In the end I wasn't that desperate to have it activated early so didn't contact them when I hit £9k and it got issued as usual at £10k spend.

So worth asking if they can do something similar with you!
    Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
    Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
    I had a similar situation this year - it said spend £10,000 before the 12th March, I wanted it in the new spending year and made a big purchase on the 12th - which like you went in the previous spend year. I contacted them and said it wasn't clear - they accepted that and said that if I contacted them once my spend reached £9k they would then activate the companion voucher. In the end I wasn't that desperate to have it activated early so didn't contact them when I hit £9k and it got issued as usual at £10k spend.

So worth asking if they can do something similar with you!
    Thanks for the advice Eskimoboy. I will go back to them.
    Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:28 am
    formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
    Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger
    What is your limit now, after 6 months, if you don't mind me asking?

Did Amex give you an increase after 3 and 6 months?
    I started with £1100. After 4 months this was increased to £1700 after I applied online for an increase. It has now been increased to £3400.

I have spent roughly £11,000 through the card since April.
    Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:26 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Interesting limits. which inspired me to check the file from when I started with Amex in 2008. Initially given over £3k. Subsequently I seem to have been on a 6-monthly review, with increases every time, which later became annual increases. Now on a convenient limit in excess of £10k which meets my needs, so I haven't asked for any further increase ... and Amex hasn't offered one, despite annual spend in excess of £20k. My fault for paying it off every month, of course!!
    Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
    I started at £1700 then got increased to £3200, currently stuck at that after a year of having the card.
    Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
    I started off at £1500, after 6 monthly reviews it's now (after 2.5 years) much more conveniently just short of £10k. Nothing more annoying than having to pay the balance 2 or 3 times a month because the credit limit is too small. However I do understand the cautious approach they take at first.
    Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:55 am

I am having a similar issue with AMEX. I received a statement credit in the current spending year from fraudulent charges billed in the previous year. This credit has rightfully so debitted the Avios earned from the fraudulent charge, however has also bumped up my £10k 241 threshold to £12k (last year my genuine spend irrespective of the fraudulent charges was £10k+). This additional spend normally would not be an issue but this year it is, I want it back down to the correct £10k. Amex have been no help thus far...
    Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:26 am

Hi all,

I have been reading through the forum quite a lot and have decided to go for the BA Premium Amex card.

Is anyone interested in referring me and getting the 9K points? Please PM
    Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
    Originally Posted by Superavi
    Hi all,

I have been reading through the forum quite a lot and have decided to go for the BA Premium Amex card.

Is anyone interested in referring me and getting the 9K points? Please PM
    Sent
    Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Hi everyone,

I know this is probably a stupid question, and the answer will probably be no, but do you think there is any chance of a 19 year old student being accepted for the regular BA AmEx?

Thanks.
    Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:14 am
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by Leeski
    Hi everyone,

I know this is probably a stupid question, and the answer will probably be no, but do you think there is any chance of a 19 year old student being accepted for the regular BA AmEx?

Thanks.
    The eligibility criteria as listed on the amex website for the normal BA card are:

• I am aged 18 or over
    • I have a current UK bank or building society account
    • I have a permanent UK home address
    • I have a household income of at least £20,000
    • I have no history of bad debt
    • And if self-employed, I have been working for more than one year
    I am guessing as a student you are not likely to meet the income criteria though. In which case I would not advise you to apply since you will get rejected and I think that will appear on your credit record.
    Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: I don't fly enough
    Originally Posted by KARFA
    The eligibility criteria as listed on the amex website for the normal BA card are:

I am guessing as a student you are not likely to meet the income criteria though. In which case I would not advise you to apply since you will get rejected and I think that will appear on your credit record.
    Would household income not include what my parents earn as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.