Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
    Is it possible to use the 2 4 1 voucher on a 2 segment flight with the first leg starting ex uk.

I calculate that starting outside the UK the taxes will be cheaper.

Aim is to get a return to BKK.
    Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:38 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by Worcester
    Is it possible to use the 2 4 1 voucher on a 2 segment flight with the first leg starting ex uk.

If you mean with the first sector starting outside the UK, then the answer is no.

"Ex-UK" actually means "starting in the UK", which is not what you mean.
    Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
    Originally Posted by Worcester

Aim is to get a return to BKK.
    You used to be able to do ex-JER on a 2-4-1 and then transit London (in to LGW out of LHR) in 24 hours to avoid the APD.

Not sure if that is still the case and don't have a 2-4-1 at the moment to check.
    Old Oct 7, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
    i did a quick dummy booking, albeit to tokyo, but yes, you can use the amex 241 ex-jersey. pricewise, it came out at £989 from jersey, £1,121 from lhr with adp having increased. i'd expect it's the same for a bkk booking.
    Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:04 pm
    :D!
    Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
    Do you still get 3 avios per £ when spending on ba.com in a different currency - and if yes, is that on just the converted amount or the converted amount plus the 3% forex fee?
    Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:03 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by JonWB
    You used to be able to do ex-JER on a 2-4-1 and then transit London (in to LGW out of LHR) in 24 hours to avoid the APD.
    Not sure if that is still the case and don't have a 2-4-1 at the moment to check.
    Originally Posted by rrrrrich
    i did a quick dummy booking, albeit to tokyo, but yes, you can use the amex 241 ex-jersey. pricewise, it came out at £989 from jersey, £1,121 from lhr with adp having increased. i'd expect it's the same for a bkk booking.
    Two pax, 241 JER-LGW-UVF ...

GBP 0.00 + Tax/Fee/Charge GBP 871.26 = GBP 871.26

Hope that helps?
    Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
    If I upgrade to the BAPP Amex will I get a new card number or can I keep spending on my normal AMEX till I receive the new card?
    Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:08 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by Jamier45
    If I upgrade to the BAPP Amex will I get a new card number or can I keep spending on my normal AMEX till I receive the new card?
    I'm certain both I and my wife (certainly) did that. It just flagged up on the new PP account when we upgraded.
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by Jamier45
    Having just done this a few weeks ago - you can keep using your existing card until you register the new card, and still get the 1.5 Avios per £1. The new card had a different card number.
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:41 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
    I am thinking of setting a 7,600 bill on BAAP incurring a 1.5% fee - am I nuts?
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by dc2447
    Only you can decide that

If i needed the avios and needed the spend to hit my 2-4-1 target I'd do it.

Incidently why the 1.5%% fee? Is this the fee if you use a CC instead of a debit card? Worth considering the 1.5% fee on a purchase of this size for Section 75 cover anyway which would be applicable with a debit card
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:02 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by dc2447
    You are effectively paying 1p/avios.
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:02 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by mc1973
    Only you can decide that

If i needed the avios and needed the spend to hit my 2-4-1 target I'd do it.
    well I have hit both 2-4-1 targets for companion voucher already but could always do with avios

Incidently why the 1.5%% fee? Is this the fee if you use a CC instead of a debit card? Worth considering the 1.5% fee on a purchase of this size for Section 75 cover anyway which would be applicable with a debit card
    It's a kitchen or rather the balance on a kitchen
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:03 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by nux
    You are effectively paying 1p/avios.
    yeah - I frequently pay this by using my BAAP abroad and paying forex, not clever
    Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:07 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
    I have the standard BA Amex but have been directing all my spend to my Amex cash back. With 250k Avios in the bank cash is more valuable to me than Avios.

I note the following on my last BA Amex statement:

Originally Posted by Amex
    Dormancy Fee £20 per year if no movement on your account during the preceding 12 months and a balance of less than £4 or your account is in credit
    The last movement on my account was on 2/Oct/13 when I paid my 26/Sep/13 statement.

My statement date is 26th of the month.

Will I have incurred the Dormancy Fee already or do I have until 26/Oct/14 to put more than £4 on the card?

Many thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.