Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    Originally Posted by NeverFirst
    So I've had my first month of spending, my first Avios have transferred to BA, and the automated phone service is telling me how much my direct debit will be (and the direct debit date will be 7th July) but I have no statement.

How long does the statement take to arrive after the end of the month?
    It's good to sign up for those emails informing about statement being available etc.

But I found regular email about balance only indicative as it is usually few days behind actual spending. Not that it matters in my case.
    Old Jul 1, 2014, 5:47 am

Hi all,

I have a friend who is looking to take out a BAPP card, however I see that the bonus has now dropped back down to 18K/19K.

Anyone know if it will increase back to the 25K/26K anytime soon?

She's happy to get it if it stays as it is for the next few months, but if it'll happen within the next few weeks, she'll wait.

Thanks as always.
    Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
    Nobody really knows Bertie
    Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    The bonus changed in May. Referral via Raffles' blog (or others on this forum) will get you 19,000 but I would wait as it will probably increase to 25k next time round. Is it worth the wait for 6k?

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/04...ress-reviewed/
    Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
    Up until yesterday I was 30% towards a 241 voucher. I booked a couple of flights in my last earnings year which I have just cancelled, BA have now refunded the fees (£500 ish) and I'm now back to 25%.

Should the refund be taken off this years spend? If so looks like I've now got to spend £11000 to get a 241, which seems a bit unfair.

Any ideas? Do I need to phone to have a manual change or just have to suck it up

Thanks
    Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Of course refunds should be deducted from your total, otherwise you could just hit the voucher every year by booking refundable flights
    Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
    Originally Posted by britbronco22
    Of course refunds should be deducted from your total, otherwise you could just hit the voucher every year by booking refundable flights
    With last years spend well over the £10k mark I don't see why a refund from last years spend should now come off this years spend. Oh well, looks like I'll have to live with it. If the refund was from this years spend then I would have an issue.
    Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:00 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by where next
    With last years spend well over the £10k mark I don't see why a refund from last years spend should now come off this years spend.
    Because the refund was made this year.

You happen to be refunding a ticket which had an identifiable date of purchase. But what if you were refunding a couple of thousand pounds worth of clothes bought last year? How would you expect Amex to track this, and automatically ascribe the refund to last year's total rather than this year's total? Would you expect Amex to withdraw last year's voucher if last year's total dropped below £10,000? What if the card holder had already used the voucher, or travelled on the tickets, by the time this occurred?

In addition, you're not having to spend £11,000 this year to get your 2-4-1. You may have to charge £11,000 worth of purchases to your card, but you're only paying £10,000 of new cash towards them. The other £1,000 doesn't involve you spending any new money.
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:39 am
    uk1
    Suspended

Would appreciate a few confirmations ....

I dropped my wife's own independent Premium Plus card well over six months ago and now plan to refer her for her next one to get both sets of current bonuses.

1. Is the qualifying period for the bonus still safely after 6 months after cancelling the old?

2. Is there a known lapsing period for the referral? Basically I want to keep sending her a "referral" but not use it for around 6 or 7 months or so, but want to cover it in case they withdraw sign up bonuses without warning.

3. Any current confirmation that her holding an existing Premium Plus additional card holder on my account is not disqualifying her for the sign up bonus on her own appreciated.

Just to confirm. I do not currently shop at Tesco.

Any live experience appreciated.
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: BA
    Does any know what happens if you have two unused 2-4-1s in your bank, then you trigger a third? I believe you can only hold two at once - do you lose the first, and replace it with the third (ie you lose the one with the shortest expiry date in preference of the new one with a longer date?)

I've been unable to redeem for personal reasons in the past two years
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    I recently upgraded from the blue card to the BAPP and the first spend triggered a 6000 avios bonus. This wasn't advertised and I wasn't told even when I asked if there would've been any incentive to upgrade. It was a nice surprise. Has it happened to anyone else?
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
    BA American Express credit card | 2014 master thread

Ringing up.. Yes, happened to me and it was a nice surprise
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:28 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Originally Posted by malkie
    Does any know what happens if you have two unused 2-4-1s in your bank, then you trigger a third? I believe you can only hold two at once - do you lose the first, and replace it with the third (ie you lose the one with the shortest expiry date in preference of the new one with a longer date?)
    I don't think there's any rule against having three vouchers in your account at once. The rule is that you can only spend two at once (if they come from a Premium Plus card) for cardholder plus three companions.
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: BA
    Originally Posted by Globaliser
    I don't think there's any rule against having three vouchers in your account at once. The rule is that you can only spend two at once (if they come from a Premium Plus card) for cardholder plus three companions.
    Thanks. I might give them a call to be sure. I'm unlikey to use my oldest one before it expires (Nov), and I'm likely to trigger a new one as I've just entered a new spending year!
    Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:18 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by uk1
    Would appreciate a few confirmations ....

I dropped my wife's own independent Premium Plus card well over six months ago and now plan to refer her for her next one to get both sets of current bonuses.

1. Is the qualifying period for the bonus still safely after 6 months after cancelling the old?

2. Is there a known lapsing period for the referral? Basically I want to keep sending her a "referral" but not use it for around 6 or 7 months or so, but want to cover it in case they withdraw sign up bonuses without warning.

3. Any current confirmation that her holding an existing Premium Plus additional card holder on my account is not disqualifying her for the sign up bonus on her own appreciated.

Just to confirm. I do not currently shop at Tesco.

Any live experience appreciated.
    You cannot lock in a referral. I found this out when the 20k SPG bonus ended 2 days early. Referral go through at the rate on the day of application, which would be zero if they killed them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.