Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:31 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by NeverFirst
    So I signed up for the BA PP Amex, knowing I should easily hit the £3,000 bonus target.

I just logged in to check my progress and although my balance is over £800 (all just regular spending, with a chunk on BA) it says I'm only £250 towards the £3,000 target.

So is this just a time-lag thing, or is some spending excluded from the spending which counts towards the £3,000?
    It only counts approved spend not pending, and is a few days behind. Remember that the card fee doesn't count.
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
    Originally Posted by nux
    It only counts approved spend not pending, and is a few days behind. Remember that the card fee doesn't count.
    Originally Posted by parklife
    Likely to be a time lag. Mine always seems to take a few days to catch up.
    Thanks - I'll put it down to a lag (all the spending is showing on the statement, not in 'pending').
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
    I've just got my card, yay.

Is there any where to confirm that my BAEC number is associated with my particular card? I can't seem to find my BAEC number anywhere.
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:23 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
    Thanks - I'll put it down to a lag (all the spending is showing on the statement, not in 'pending').
    Yes, there is a lag between what shows on the statement and what shows in the list of transactions for which Avios are being awarded. You can click through to that list from a link on the right hand side of the page.
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:18 pm
    Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
    Originally Posted by matthandy

Is there any where to confirm that my BAEC number is associated with my particular card? I can't seem to find my BAEC number anywhere.
    I have just had a look and I can't see anywhere online where the Amex sites shows the ba account number. I guess you may have to call just to double check.
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
    Originally Posted by matthandy

Do you remember entering it on your application? If you did, it should be fine, IME its been pretty slick. If you don't remember writing it in, they'll either have opened another account (think there might have been a box to tick) or they'll just have the points in limbo somewhere pending the information
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    From what I observed it updates the targets once the spend appears on the earned Avios page, which is ~2 days after it goes from pending to spent.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Has anyone in the UK recently upgraded from the free card to the BAPP?

Amex have confirmed that it's just a product upgrade, not a new application, therefore no hard credit check is performed.

However, do you recall if they ask for annual income and occupation? I'll be taking a career break over the summer, and I wouldn't want that to impact on the upgrade.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
    Originally Posted by ringingup
    They do still go through the process of completing the equivilent of a new application on the phone with you although I was told it wasn't standard to perform a credit check for the upgrade at the end of it, just the way their systems work. You therefore will likely be asked your income again as part of the upgrade.

I suppose technically you won't meet the eligibility criteria to continue holding either card (£20k) on your own but remember it is based on total household income if that helps?

If you don't mention it I'm sure Amex will have no problem provided you have managed your existing account well.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Blenz101
    They do still go through the process of completing the equivalent of a new application on the phone with you although I was told it wasn't standard to perform a credit check for the upgrade at the end of it, just the way their systems work. You therefore will likely be asked your income again as part of the upgrade.

I suppose technically you won't meet the eligibility criteria for either card (£20k) on your own but remember it is based on total household income if that helps?

If you don't mention it I'm sure Amex will have no problem provided you have managed your existing account well.
    Thanks for your answer. This seems to contradict what I was told earlier on the phone. The representative said that there is a lot of reading on their part, but the whole application consists of mostly listening that rather than having to provide any information.

Just to clarify, you have done the upgrade yourself and you were asked all the questions you'd be asked for a new application, including income and occupation. Is that right?

The household income won't be a problem, as I would be well over the £20,000, but I would technically be unemployed during the career break and self-employed after that.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:29 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Amex have confirmed that it's just a product upgrade, not a new application, therefore no hard credit check is performed.

However, do you recall if they ask for annual income and occupation? I'll be taking a career break over the summer, and I wouldn't want that to impact on the upgrade.
    Last November ... I'm sure I did it on line. Assorted questions as you indicate, but instant approval. I'm still retired!

Took 2+ months to get the 241 companion voucher I'd already earned, though.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by T8191
    Last November ... I'm sure I did it on line. Assorted questions as you indicate, but instant approval. Took 2+ months to get the 241 companion voucher I'd already earned, though.
    Are you based in the US?

As far as I know in the UK it can only be done over the phone.
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:32 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you based in the US?

As far as I know in the UK it can only be done over the phone.
    I'm based in JER, which is neither
    But on line worked fine, I'm sure.

(Just checked the file, yes it was done on line, and I am listed at UK since Amex hasn't heard of Jersey )
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by T8191
    I'm based in JER, which is neither
    But on line worked fine, I'm sure.
    Can you find a link?
    Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:41 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you find a link?
    I just did it from my extant Amex 'Blue' account page after logging in.

I subsequently ended up with a couple of emails, from [email protected] and one cited "If you have any questions please call our new accounts team on 0800 587 3724"

Best I can do, ringingup

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.