Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by nitbix
    Just to report back, I called them up and was told that they are making a point to NEVER AGAIN give discounts on card fees.
    Oh well. Thanks for reporting back though.
    Old May 21, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
    Originally Posted by pauldb
    If you are billed by the hotel, it won't be a BA transaction so they'll be no bonus. I would be inclined to book on the hotel's site to ensure their loyalty credit.
    Thanks for this.

What if I pre-paid for the stay? Some rates require this.

What is the benefit of booking hotels on BA.com? Are Avios earned on the booking?
    Old May 21, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: SK Diamond, BAEC Silver
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get the BA AmEx card if you don't live in the UK?
    I live in Norway and have the Eurobonus AmEx here, but would love to chase some 241 vouchers on BA as well.

I heard that someone was able to get a Amex in the US without living there by paying a deposit before receiving the card. Not sure if it was just an urban legend or can actually be done though.
    Old May 21, 2014, 4:56 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by krist1an
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get the BA AmEx card if you don't live in the UK?
    I live in Norway and have the Eurobonus AmEx here, but would love to chase some 241 vouchers on BA as well.

I heard that someone was able to get a Amex in the US without living there by paying a deposit before receiving the card. Not sure if it was just an urban legend or can actually be done though.
    Sounds like an urban legend.

Eligibility for the UK BA Amex:
    I am aged 18 or over
    I have a current UK bank or building society account
    I have a permanent UK home address
    I have a household income of at least £30,000
    I have no history of bad debt
    And if self-employed, I have been working for more than one year
    Old May 21, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: SK Diamond, BAEC Silver
    Originally Posted by nux
    Sounds like an urban legend.

Eligibility for the UK BA Amex:
    I am aged 18 or over
    I have a current UK bank or building society account
    I have a permanent UK home address
    I have a household income of at least £30,000
    I have no history of bad debt
    And if self-employed, I have been working for more than one year
    I have a company that's registered in London, so if I set up a personal bank account and register myself at a friends address it may work?
    Old May 21, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
    Originally Posted by krist1an
    I have a company that's registered in London, so if I set up a personal bank account and register myself at a friends address it may work?
    Doubtful, considering how much of a thing this "credit record" malarkey is in the UK. Took me over three years of living and working here to get a "bad credit" credit card, and another year and a half after that to get approved for an Amex.
    Old May 21, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    Originally Posted by csutter
    Doubtful, considering how much of a thing this "credit record" malarkey is in the UK. Took me over three years of living and working here to get a "bad credit" credit card, and another year and a half after that to get approved for an Amex.
    Probably bad luck, 1 year or so in UK Halifax pushed me to get their Clarity credit card (which is pretty good as no FX fees) and then few months later I got Amex after few days of checking (did not try earlier).

Otherwise yes, krist1an is out of luck. It's fairly impossible to open an account over here without approximately six hundred confirmations of home address and providing your blood sample certified by Her Majesty, not to mention the other requirements and credit history check.
    Old May 26, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
    Amex are offering some free apps for Amex cardholders, 6 travel related ones currently available till the 31st May, like FlightTrack 5.

https://appstore.amexnetwork.com/uk
    Old May 27, 2014, 3:58 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
    Seems to be limited to Apple users, ignoring the market leader Android.

BA manages to serve both.
    Old May 30, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    are you able to buy a ticket and then use the 241 BA Amex voucher to get another ticket? Does this also apply to buy+UuA tickets?

Or do the companion vouchers only work on flights purchased solely with Avios?

Many thanks
    Old May 30, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by 7Forty7
    are you able to buy a ticket and then use the 241 BA Amex voucher to get another ticket? Does this also apply to buy+UuA tickets?
    No.

Yes.
    Old May 30, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition

Many thanks
    No.

Only flights purchased solely with Avios.
    Old May 30, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
    thanks guys
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
    Spending for Sign-Up Bonus?

So I signed up for the BA PP Amex, knowing I should easily hit the £3,000 bonus target.

I just logged in to check my progress and although my balance is over £800 (all just regular spending, with a chunk on BA) it says I'm only £250 towards the £3,000 target.

So is this just a time-lag thing, or is some spending excluded from the spending which counts towards the £3,000?
    Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by NeverFirst
    So I signed up for the BA PP Amex, knowing I should easily hit the £3,000 bonus target.

I just logged in to check my progress and although my balance is over £800 (all just regular spending, with a chunk on BA) it says I'm only £250 towards the £3,000 target.

So is this just a time-lag thing, or is some spending excluded from the spending which counts towards the £3,000?
    Likely to be a time lag. Mine always seems to take a few days to catch up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.