Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
    Originally Posted by davrossuk
    Ok thanks, that's good news.

I have already stopped spending on this card to hit a couple of amex gold card sign up bonuses so I suppose I may as well downgrade now.
    If you are not using it and you are going to downgrade, you may as well do it now and get some of the £150 fee back.
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:51 am
    :D!
    Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
    Originally Posted by Magic01273
    Downgrading to the regular card does not affect a 241 voucher once it's been earned and added to your BAEC account. But I would wait until you actually renew so that you can continue to benefit from the better earn rate for as long as possible (unless you have diverted your spend elsewhere now you have earned the voucher?).

Once the renewal fee has billed, call up and downgrade and they will credit the fee back to your account.
    Basically, the card costs 41p per day. If you value an Avios at 1p, then you need to be spending £82 per day on the paid card for it to be worthwhile keeping.

You don't have to wait for the renewal fee to show up on your statement to downgrade. If you downgrade before it has shown up, it will still show up in full and you will get most of it back shortly afterwards.
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: Yes please
    Originally Posted by :D!
    Basically, the card costs 41p per day. If you value an Avios at 1p, then you need to be spending £82 per day on the paid card for it to be worthwhile keeping.

You don't have to wait for the renewal fee to show up on your statement to downgrade. If you downgrade before it has shown up, it will still show up in full and you will get most of it back shortly afterwards.
    I do not pay for my PP card but even so how can the 241 voucher not be worth the £ 125.00 fee? Even the cheapest return BA ticket costs more than that.
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:22 am

Programs: Some, not all.
    Originally Posted by SouthOxon
    I do not pay for my PP card but even so how can the 241 voucher not be worth the £ 125.00 fee? Even the cheapest return BA ticket costs more than that.
    I believe : D! is advocating the smash and grab approach whereby once the 241 (or bonus points) have been triggered the card is then downgraded (or cancelled) to obtain a pro-rata refund on the annual fee.

Hopefully Amex will make the annual fees non-refundable to stop this kind of abuse. I'm sure once their finance department sees the churn %, marketing will be suitably restrained.
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
    Originally Posted by SouthOxon
    The fee is £150.
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, BA Amex, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec
    Maybe because with the surcharges when looking at economy flights it can look look like you are saving nothing
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:44 pm

How to check your Amex is linked to your BA Exec Account?

Got a new Amex BA Basic and now Premium, how can I check new card is linked to BA Exec Club?
    Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
    If you can wait until the card statement is issued, your BAEC card number is in the box above the number of Avios transferred to it.
    Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:27 am

So Amex confirmed voucher issued after upgrade is valid for two years and the card anniversary doesn't chnage. I was told a different story previously.

Do you need to call to upgrade I though I saw a post where someone said can be done online?
    Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:06 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
    Originally Posted by Chewbacca
    So Amex confirmed voucher issued after upgrade is valid for two years and the card anniversary doesn't chnage. I was told a different story previously.

Do you need to call to upgrade I though I saw a post where someone said can be done online?
    I did mine on-line in Nov 2013 without any trouble. Took a couple of months to get the 2-4-1 I was due after the upgrade to PP, though.
    Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:58 am
    formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
    Originally Posted by Chewbacca

I upgraded last week. Upgraded processed within 48 hours. Voucher issued 2 days later on my BA Account.

Voucher was only valid for 1 year. AMEX confirmed this was normal practice.

No matter anyway, I've already used it.
    Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
    Originally Posted by :D!

How do you get to this £82 per day? You are effectively saying you need to spend £30k a year for it to be worthwhile, if you are spending £30k or more annually then you'd be better having more than just this card.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:50 am
    nux
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
    Originally Posted by mc1973
    How do you get to this £82 per day? You are effectively saying you need to spend £30k a year for it to be worthwhile, if you are spending £30k or more annually then you'd be better having more than just this card.
    Once you've earned the companion voucher the only difference in earning is 0.5 avios on regular spend (ignoring BA spend bonus). The cost is £150/365 days = 41p/day, so at £82 spend per day the extra 0.5 avios per £ earned on a BAPP over the normal BA Amex is worth 41p which balances the annual fee.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
    Originally Posted by nux
    Once you've earned the companion voucher the only difference in earning is 0.5 avios on regular spend (ignoring BA spend bonus). The cost is £150/365 days = 41p/day, so at £82 spend per day the extra 0.5 avios per £ earned on a BAPP over the normal BA Amex is worth 41p which balances the annual fee.
    And that's if you value Avios at 1p each..... you'd need to spend more to break even if you value them at less than 1p as I do.
    Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
    And that's if you value Avios at 1p each..... you'd need to spend more to break even if you value them at less than 1p as I do.
    I still don't get that low valuation. With a 2-4-1 the cash outlay on a pair of CW returns to, say UVF, is £150 (Amex PP) + £1,000 (tax and surcharge). Surely that must make the "value" of the 100,000 Avios at least £1,000?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.