FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA American Express credit card
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:35 am
Revenge

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Have to agree with angatol ... the 3% Forex fee on the Amex does make our [not insubtantial] overseas spend quite expensive. I'm considering using my BA PP Amex for all UK-based bookings of flights and cars and general living [3x or 1.5x Avios], and getting the Lloyds Avios for spend abroad without Forex charges. A $3,000 hotel bill in the US racks up a £90 penalty in fees, and we're not Avios-poor. Add in all the shopping, eating and drinking, and I'm probably paying >£200 in fees on our typical trip to the US.

I just need to get a Round Tuit.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. ^

I have been quite happy paying the Lloyds Amex 3% forex fee on business expenses as I claim back the fee as well as the original charge, and enjoying the bonus Avios. The only downside is that the fee and the transaction come up as separate transactions on the statement, which makes it an administrative nightmare.

For personal spending abroad I use the Halifax Clarity MasterCard. No Avios on that spending unfortunately, but they do not charge any foreign transaction fees including on cash withdrawals, which is handy.