Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
Current sign-up, referral, spend promotions and retention offers

New member sign ups

British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card:
Collect 25,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 within the first three months of card membership.

British Airways American Express Credit Card:
Collect 9,000 bonus Avios when you spend £1,000 within the first three months of card membership.

Referrals

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the BA American Express card, you'll receive a 4,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If you are already a BA American Express card holder (either BA card) and introduce a friend to the Premium Plus card, you'll receive a 9,000 Avios bonus once your friend's application is approved.

If your friend achieves the spend required for the welcome offer on either card they'll receive an additional 1,000 Avios. I.e. 26,000 or 10,000 total bonus Avios for the Premium Plus and Credit Card respectively.
Small print:
You must refer your friend via the referral link provided above to be eligible for this offer.

You may recommend as many friends or family members as you wish but you can only receive a maximum of 45,000 Avios per calendar year for those approved for a Card.

You will receive 4,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Credit Card. Your friend will receive 4,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

You will receive 9,000 bonus Avios if your friend applies and is approved for the British Airways American Express Premium Plus Card. Your friend will receive 19,000 bonus Avios after they have been approved and spent a minimum of £3,000 on goods and services purchased and charged to their Account within three months of Account opening.

When completing the referral form, you must
(i) select the Card you hold from the list at Step 1 and
(ii) select a card to recommend from those listed at Step 2. If you do not follow this process, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus.

If your friend has already applied for any of the British Airways American Express Credit Cards without using this referral, you and your friend will not be eligible for the bonus Avios.

All introductory offers are subject to change, can be withdrawn at any time and are not available if your friend currently holds or has held any other British Airways American Express Credit Cards in the past six months.

Promotions

Retention offers

Voucher eligible spend
    Pretty much everything counts towards the £10,000 (or £20,000) required to earn a 2-4-1 Companion Voucher, including the following which might be unexpected:
    • Foreign transaction fees

A few things that don't:
    • Annual membership fee
    • Interest payments
    • Transactions under £1 (although you can earn the single Avios )

The online total to the right of the card summary is pretty up to date, and far more useful for tracking spend than what the statements show.

Insurance
    Both standard and Premium Plus cards include insurance benefits for goods and services purchased on the card. Full details here and here respectively. Summary of Premium Plus benefit are shown here, with standard card offering same cover unless alternate figure is shown in parentheses:
    • Purchase protection: £2,500
    • Refund protection: £300 (£200) per item
    • Flight delay / cancellation / overbooking / missed: £200 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (6+ hours): £750 (£0)
    • Baggage delay (48+ hours): £1,000 (£0), additional to 6 hours benefit
    • Accident: £250,000 (£75,000)
    • Hijack (24+ hours): £1,500
    • Hijack (72+ hours): £3,000, additional to the 24h benefit
    Print Wikipost

BA American Express credit card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:55 pm
    Suspended

Hello,

Sorry if I'm being a little bit dull. However, I was wondering. Is it possible to cancel the AMEX after I'd spent 3k and got the AVIOS? Will I be charged the full yearly fee of £195, or is it pro rata?
    Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
    Originally Posted by demolineux
    Hello,

Sorry if I'm being a little bit dull. However, I was wondering. Is it possible to cancel the AMEX after I'd spent 3k and got the AVIOS? Will I be charged the full yearly fee of £195, or is it pro rata?
    You can cancel and get a pro-rata refund
    Old Sep 4, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Hello,

You would but the idea around here is that the 2-4-1 voucher is the most valuable perk. I wouldn't cancel until I got that myself.
    Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:36 am

Seems a shame to cancel as the above poster states the 2-4-1 is of great benefit, you could have got the Avios elsewhere eg Amex gold card and saved the BA card and its bonuses for later.
    Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
    Hello,

Why do you want to do that? Have you considered downgrading to the free BA Amex rather than cancelling? Even so I wouldn't recommend that especially as you would have to spend £20k to get a 2 4 1 voucher only valid for one year.
    Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:23 am
    Suspended

Originally Posted by AJA_
    Why do you want to do that? Have you considered downgrading to the free BA Amex rather than cancelling? Even so I wouldn't recommend that especially as you would have to spend £20k to get a 2 4 1 voucher only valid for one year.
    I have other credit card reward schemes that I do my spending on. I won't meet £10k spending.
    Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:58 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for the stupid questions to follow, however since my last CC application the goalposts regarding welcome bonuses seems to have changed.

My wife and I would routinely churn BAPP cards, so I would achieve the 10k, cancel then MrsMM would apply for one and rinse repeat. I understand you cant do this now as you cant get a welcome bonus if you have had a rewards amex within 24 months, which we both have (I still currently hold a BAPP).

However, please correct me if im wrong, but I thought that there was a way to still get the welcome bonus for the Amex Platinum even if you have held BAPP card, is that the case?

I'm fast approaching the date where I need to pay for my annual train season ticket so I want to find a suitable card to apply for, achieve a welcome bonus then cancel shortly after.

Final silly question, am I right in thinking the Plat works similarly in that I will get pro-rate fee back following cancellation, as I don't want to pay £500 for a month's use.

thanks for all your help in advance,
    TMM
    Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:15 pm
    FlyerTalk Evangelist
    Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
    Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
    Hi all,

Apologies for the stupid questions to follow, however since my last CC application the goalposts regarding welcome bonuses seems to have changed.

My wife and I would routinely churn BAPP cards, so I would achieve the 10k, cancel then MrsMM would apply for one and rinse repeat. I understand you cant do this now as you cant get a welcome bonus if you have had a rewards amex within 24 months, which we both have (I still currently hold a BAPP).

However, please correct me if im wrong, but I thought that there was a way to still get the welcome bonus for the Amex Platinum even if you have held BAPP card, is that the case?

I'm fast approaching the date where I need to pay for my annual train season ticket so I want to find a suitable card to apply for, achieve a welcome bonus then cancel shortly after.

Final silly question, am I right in thinking the Plat works similarly in that I will get pro-rate fee back following cancellation, as I don't want to pay £500 for a month's use.

thanks for all your help in advance,
    TMM
    The Plat rule is different to the other rules. It ONLY looks at whether you've had a Gold or Plat in the last 24 months. They don't give a monkeys about your BAPP :-)

Fee is pro-rata, yes. Don't forget to apply for all the hotel status cards before you cancel, and if you forget to cut up the card (actually, you can't cut it up any longer now it's metal) you'll get 2 years of Eurostar lounge access too .....
    Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:28 pm

Thanks so much.

Ok so if I apply for the hotel status I get separate cards which last a year? I had assumed you just flashed the plat and it was somehow on there, that's great news.

The Eurostar thing is incredibly useful too, how does this work, do you just flash the card for lounge access? And if so, is it just the cardholder

Sorry ill do some proper research now myself but looks like its a nobrainer plat this year then one for MrsMM
    Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
    Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
    Ok so if I apply for the hotel status I get separate cards which last a year? I had assumed you just flashed the plat and it was somehow on there, that's great news.

The Eurostar thing is incredibly useful too, how does this work, do you just flash the card for lounge access? And if so, is it just the cardholder
    The hotels will apply to your existing account with the chain. You'll need to open an account with Hilton, Marriott, etc.

Eurostar is indeed just showing your card on the way in, and no guests. Can't see this lasting very long though, especially since they moved the goal posts to requalify for Carte Blanche.

Originally Posted by Raffles
    Fee is pro-rata, yes. Don't forget to apply for all the hotel status cards before you cancel, and if you forget to cut up the card (actually, you can't cut it up any longer now it's metal) you'll get 2 years of Eurostar lounge access too .....
    It's probably advice like this that made them change the rules in the first place...
    Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
    This morning I recieved three emails from Amex telling me that as I had made recent payments on my BA Amex PP card, my direct debit had been adjusted to zero.

The thing is I don't have a direct debit set up for the card so I called and they confirmed that they have a system glitch at the moment and apologised for the inconvenience.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone else has received similar.
    Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by NorthernBA
    This morning I recieved three emails from Amex telling me that as I had made recent payments on my BA Amex PP card, my direct debit had been adjusted to zero.

The thing is I don't have a direct debit set up for the card so I called and they confirmed that they have a system glitch at the moment and apologised for the inconvenience.

Same happened with us. Thanks for posting it saves us a call to Amex. It is a little worrying.
    Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
    Originally Posted by NorthernBA

Yes, same here - for a gold amex. All timed exactly the same time and all incorrect.
    Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Edit:

Apologies, wrong thread
    Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
    Apologies in advance if this and probably is a stupid question.

The only difference between say the BA Amex Black (premium) Card compared to the Gold Amex card is the 2 for 1 voucher?

As with the Gold amex card I can convert the points to Avios? If so is this an easy process. Oh and just thought id only get £1 to 1 Avios rather than the 1.5 if using a BA card.

Sorry just really new to credit cards and applied for the BA standard card last week and was accepted so there sending it out this week. However after speaking to customer service they mentioned I can change to any account once I’ve received the card. Was thinking of the premium BA card but starting to think of the gold one now.

Not sure ill make the £10,000 every year and heard mixed reviews on the 241 voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.