Wiki Posts
Search

WW "airlines to go bust"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
My best mate worked for XL as a purser and I can remember him calling me to say it had shut and he had no job ...
This post (from BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers) reminded me of something that I saw a day or so ago: XL Airways France (which was bought from the parent company XL Leisure at the time it went under in ~2008) has itself now ceased operations. On 19 September 2019 it was placed into receivership and stopped selling tickets immediately, with a shutdown yesterday (22 September 2019).

XL Airways Germany had similarly survived the parent's bankruptcy but it had already ceased to exist, closing in December 2012.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So not actually stuck...

The impact is far worse for employees.
I quite agree
The CAA is in top of this and people are being brought home on their scheduled return flight day. So barring any nonsense from hotel operators no ones holiday is being curtailed and although there might have been a period of stress the customers really should just get on enjoying whatever it is they are doing

This term repatriation makes it sound like there is some mad rush to get everyone e home asap before the martians attack.
BlueThroughCrimp, T8191 and YacozA like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This post (from BA involved in repatriation of Thomas Cook customers) reminded me of something that I saw a day or so ago: XL Airways France (which was bought from the parent company XL Leisure at the time it went under in ~2008) has itself now ceased operations. On 19 September 2019 it was placed into receivership and stopped selling tickets immediately, with a shutdown yesterday (22 September 2019).

XL Airways Germany had similarly survived the parent's bankruptcy but it had already ceased to exist, closing in December 2012.
If you fancy buying XL France you’ve got until Saturday morning to make an offer...

Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
At the end of https://www.theguardian.com/business...annual-profits there's a bit about TCX slots:

Walsh said: “We’ve seen a number of [airline] failures across Europe and there will be further failures. Most airlines are moderating their capacity growth plans for the fourth quarter and 2020.”

He said IAG would be looking at acquiring Thomas Cook’s slots at Gatwick airport following the travel company’s collapse, adding he was “pleased with the slots acquired from Monarch” when it went bust two years ago.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
IAG/BA has been beaten too or chosen not to buy the LGW Thomas Cook slots.

Budget airline Easyjet has bought the take-off and landing slots of collapsed travel company Thomas Cook at London Gatwick and Bristol airports for £36m.

The company announced today it has bought 12 summer slot pairs and eight winter slot pairs at Gatwick and six summer slot pairs
https://www.cityam.com/easyjet-buys-...istol-for-36m/
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
That puts Easyjet (including Easyjet Switzerland and Easyjet Europe) with about 45% of traffic at LGW.

BA gets a great deal of flak for having 55% of LHR traffic, but there seems to be no official concern about Easyjet's dominance at LGW.

Maybe more eyebrows will be raised if Norwegian collapses and Easy buys their slots (which are, in total, 11% of traffic at LGW).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:15 am

BA did not have nor any way of training sufficient pilots to use the LGW slots. They will struggle to use the slots leased to TC which have returned.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flybe on the brink

https://news.sky.com/story/regional-...lapse-11907407

Flybe, Europe's biggest regional airline, was locked in survival talks on Sunday night less than a year after being bailed out by a Virgin Atlantic-led consortium.

Sky News can exclusively reveal that Flybe, which handles over half of Britain's domestic flights outside London, has been trying to secure additional financing amid mounting losses.

EY, the accountancy firm, has been put on standby to handle an administration of Flybe Group, according to aviation industry sources.

The government is understood to have been briefed on the crisis at Flybe in the last few days, with more than 2000 jobs at risk if the company collapses.

One source close to Flybe said on Sunday night that the Department for Transport and Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy had been working to determine whether the government could provide or facilitate any emergency financing to the company.

If Flybe is unable to stitch together a rescue deal, it would be the second major airline collapse in four months, following Thomas Cook Group's implosion last September. Flybe operates about 75 aircraft and serves more than 80 airports across the UK and Europe.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:58 pm

Hope the HiFly A380 is on standby...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:57 pm

Flybe has stopped selling seats on NQY-LHR after April according to local Cornish news.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Presumably if they go bust BA will end up with quite a few more LHR slots as I think there were 6 EDI remedy slots and 3 ABZ slots given to them after the bmi merger and virgin red failing.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Surely the consortium will want to keep it going? Virgin Connect and all of that.

Unless it's proven to be a complete dead duck for them? Seems very strange that the consortium hasn't been more proactive here.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:13 am

Virgin have money but I'm not sure if stobart want put more money in
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Garimi
Virgin have money but I'm not sure if stobart want put more money in
Fair point.

Stobart has its own problems with money at the moment but I think it may be confined to the road haulage division rather than the group as a whole. Even so, probably not a good time to be splashing out.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rapidex
Flybe has stopped selling seats on NQY-LHR after April according to local Cornish news.
They never started - didn’t get released when they relased the rest of the summer timetable. It’s been a bit of a worry down here.

LF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.