Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA "Thank Goodness it's Friday!" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA "Thank Goodness it's Friday!" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Currently at HEL having a few glasses of wine before my flight to MAN.

This is the last flight currently in my schedule... I can't remember the last time that happened.

Nothing planned, not even holidays.
Well get looking then!

Happy Friday folks! I'm going to watch Scotland beat Samoa at the Rugby tomorrow

Not that I really am much of a football fan and I was hoping that Scotland may have won last night towards qualification that we might get through to Euro 2016 but our National football team really are dire
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We have had a wonderful Friday ... exploring [and partly binning] the contents of a large ‘pantry’ cupboard in the kitchen.

In the process we found a resident mouse [the cupboard is right by the cat-flap] with a nest at the back of one shelf, and a food store of 'kitty crunch' on the shelf below! EWWWW.

Mouse released into the wild, all cleared, tidied and disinfected, and 4 bin-bags of trash consigned to semi-eternity. Assorted unused electrical items taken to the recycling centre. We can now find things again!!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:36 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Happy Friday everyone. I'm heading to Arizona on Sunday for a wedding and last night I cashed in all my Delta miles to book a Spring Break trip to South Korea and Japan. Today is already a good day, hope it will be for everyone else too!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I was up and out early to take delivery of some hay. Back within the hour and had a bacon and egg breakfast. Off on the two hour slog in a taxi to Buenos Aires at half two accompanying the wife for her ophthalmologist appointment. I shall take advantage and pop in to my favourite baccy shop and stock up with some Samuel Gawith Virginia Flake all the way from Kendal.

No doubt the Friday traffic will add an hour on to the journey home.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A rough day out there on the pampas, HIDDY
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
It's been a dreich day here in Glasgow (as usual!) but thankfully I finished work nice and early at 5pm which means I've been able to have a couple of cocktails with a few mates I've not seen in a while ^

Not looking forwards to the 11am start tomorrow though!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: ASLEF
Worked a rest day. Got booked 9h15 for less than 2 hours 'work' for a training course I'd already done. Home by 1030. There's a reason train fares are so high, I just can't think why.
Friends over for watching of rugby, imbibing and eating tomorrow. 2 weeks tomorrow the future Mrs TrainDriverSparky and I are off to Denver to start a USA road trip

Last edited by TrainDriverSparky; Oct 9, 2015 at 3:23 pm
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TrainDriverSparky
2 weeks tomorrow the future Mrs TrainDriverSparky and I are off to Denver to start a USA road trip
Have a great trip and don't get snowed in for too long!

Quiet day here. Reclaimed the car from another bout of repairs (it's 14 years old) and took my wife to the clinic with a sinus infection. With luck we are off to Kauai on Monday.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Have a great trip and don't get snowed in for too long!
Will it be bad? We're driving Denver - Dallas - Austin/San Antonio - Houston - New Orleans over 2 weeks.

We got stuck on the road from Venice up to Cortina (about 0.5km from our hotel in Cortina) in April 2014 in a rented Fiat 500. Apparently it was mandatory to have chains/snow tires. Screwed up pages from highlife and the windscreen scraper Avis left in the car for us helped the wheels get traction...

The excuse for the trip is my cousin's new born, who will be a month old when we get to Dallas.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 5:03 pm

Will it be bad? We're driving Denver - Dallas - Austin/San Antonio - Houston - New Orleans over 2 weeks.
It's hard to predict but you need to keep an eye on the weather and be flexible in your route. The problem, naturally, is with the scenic parts of Colorado. You can cut and run to the lowlands and then head south from there. We once had the experience of clawing our way in fairly poor weather to the top of a pass only to encounter a notice forbidding further travel without chains. We then had to slither back down the way we came. They do mean it when they say you must carry chains. You might find this useful: http://www.cotrip.org/map.htm#/roadConditions

You should be fine if you are just taking the most direct route to Dallas.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
A rough day out there on the pampas, HIDDY
Yes, one hours work constitutes a hard day for me.

Thankfully I was wrong about the Friday traffic heading out of Baires. I'd forgotten it's a holiday weekend here so by the time we left the commuters had all buggered off home early.We left 7.30pm and arrived home at 9.30pm a record for the 100 mile trip. Our taxi driver drove like a maniac though as he had a wedding reception to go to. It was more hair raising than an Alton Towers ride.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Finished a nice week with the family where we stayed at a beach front house in Oceanside, CA. Many schools in Arizona now do a two week autumn break so we took advantage of a non-peak week. Water temp was 25C and air temp between 22 and 28C all week. I don't think I've ever had a better experience with the beach in California where the water temp is often far too cold relative to the air temp.

Today we drove home to Phoenix and back to 37C or so for a few more weeks of autumn before our mid-November to mid-January "winter" sets in. Though I'll miss most of the pleasant weather as the autumn work travel season kicks into high gear starting this week (JFK, ATL, BWI, PHL, LHR, DUB, LCY, BGO, STR, and MUC are all coming up before the US Thanksgiving holiday).
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Sitting in Kennedy with junior waiting to begin a Columbus Day weekend in Orlando. Had to pull the trigger on shockingly bad value domestic F redemption, which makes me feel queasy (60,000 for two). At least return is a P class bargain (child now has enough TP to be bronze after a few trips with me but lacks the BA qualifying flights until home for her birthday).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's hard to predict but you need to keep an eye on the weather and be flexible in your route.

You should be fine if you are just taking the most direct route to Dallas.
I hadn't seen your post until now
Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:50 am

I hadn't seen your post until now
Thanks for the info.
You are most welcome. We are passing through DFW today, the forecast is for 95F/35C! Denver is a bit nicer. I hope you enjoy meeting the new baby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.