Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:12 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
What about KVS? What are it's advantages?
KVS Tool has 100% Award Availability coverage across the entire OneWorld Alliance (incl. BA):

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#BA

Can you program it in some way to do the searching for you?
Once you add your search(es) to the [My Trips] Tab in the KVS Tool, you can periodically [re-]check for Award Seats in just 2 clicks.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:40 pm

What about KVS? What are it's advantages? Am I right that it's just another way of searching instead of using BA.com?
Originally Posted by Globaliser
KVS basically screenscrapes either ba.com or some other airline's site that shows award availability.
Yes, no more or less then BA.com but charges you for the free data. You can also try another service like AwardNexus.com which has a free version for FT members.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:01 am

Couldn't find the answer to this in here, so please help me:

I am currently booked in CW to PHX on Avios. Hoping for F seats to become available. If they should, will the change to F incur the 25GBP change fee?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by MarioRossi
Couldn't find the answer to this in here, so please help me:

I am currently booked in CW to PHX on Avios. Hoping for F seats to become available. If they should, will the change to F incur the 25GBP change fee?
If you are not Gold then technically you would have to pay the change fee and the telephone booking fees. You can always see if the agent will waive the fee.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ore-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ked-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-booking.html
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:15 pm

Hello, I was hoping someone can confirm something for me: Does it cost 4,500 or 9,000 Avios to fly one way from IAH to SGF with a connection at DFW?

Distances (from Webflyer):
  • IAH to SGF - 514 miles
  • IAH to DFW - 225 miles
  • DFW to SGF - 364 miles
  • Sum of IAH to DFW to SGF - 589 miles

Do they charge by each leg, even if the total travel qualifies as a zone 1? Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
Hello, I was hoping someone can confirm something for me: Does it cost 4,500 or 9,000 Avios to fly one way from IAH to SGF with a connection at DFW?

Distances (from Webflyer):
  • IAH to SGF - 514 miles
  • IAH to DFW - 225 miles
  • DFW to SGF - 364 miles
  • Sum of IAH to DFW to SGF - 589 miles

Do they charge by each leg, even if the total travel qualifies as a zone 1? Thanks!
If they are two separate flights with separate flight numbers then you pay for each flight individually. 4500 + 4500 + 9000.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Grand Union
...... Multi-partner redemptions offer an infinite range of options, ............................There are benefits to Multi-partner redemptions, such as a complex booking with a single ticket provides greater protection in the event of irregular operations. Note, the distance bands for multi-partner bookings are calculated as complete journeys. So you apply the accumulated distance to determine the number of Avios needed.
I would like to know if any komplex routing is allowed, as Long it contains only OW airlines ? Or are there some rules like RTW only in the same direction. No open jaws , -- Not hit more than once the same City ( transfer or stopover ).
If this is not the case, and it`s really only up to the total flown milage, this also could be a good Thing ! Specially the up to 50.000 miles in Business for 320k AVIOS in Business.
someone could fly 4 roundtrips between Asia and Europe + some intrazone onnections.
My idea would be something like AMS-HKG-FRA-KUL-CDG-HKG-LON-BKK-HEL-AMS-LON-SIN
with single tix it would be more than 500k AVIOS
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
sitting on about 200k avios with a voucher from BA PP card soon.. wondering what the best F redemption is? (I am not fussy about where to go as long as it is a nice destination). Was thinking on going to Asia/Oceania, maybe even Africa but want the avios to stretch the distance as much as possible so me and the mrs can go to places that we have not been before or might not be able to go in the future.. So about 200k now, closer to 300k Q2 2014...

Thanks
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevieg999
sitting on about 200k avios with a voucher from BA PP card soon.. wondering what the best F redemption is? (I am not fussy about where to go as long as it is a nice destination). Was thinking on going to Asia/Oceania, maybe even Africa but want the avios to stretch the distance as much as possible so me and the mrs can go to places that we have not been before or might not be able to go in the future.. So about 200k now, closer to 300k Q2 2014...

Thanks
Forgot to say that I am based in LHR, so any European base is good place to fly from.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:49 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP

Thanks
300k avios is enough for any destination in F from LHR.
The highest redemption is to SYD for 300k avios, however availability is very difficult to find.

If you are flexible and want to travel in Q2 2015 onwards (a year after you will hit 300k avios) you can try for SYD.
If you are somewhat inflexible with dates you will just need to see what availability there is when you want to travel.

Some F options include: SIN, HKG, TYO, JNB, CPT, GRU. You can book an open jaw, eg LHR-HKG // NRT-LHR.

Forgot to say that I am based in LHR, so any European base is good place to fly from.
Starting from Europe will only add an extra connection to/from London. All BA F flights are ex-LON.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:18 am

Excuse me for the basic question, because I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but after spending time reading and looking, I think I've overlooked it.

I read that AA (miles saver only) and Oneworld flights can be booked with Avios. I believe the best way to search for these is on aa.com and award nexus. The question is how do I book them with my avios? I see a statement that for straightforward bookings, I should be able to do this online, but I wasn't sure how. Do you just have to use their search for flights and find the same one? I haven't seen many (any?) AA or oneworld partner flights when I was searching for flights that are being booked with avios at the british airways site.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ankitgu
Excuse me for the basic question, because I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but after spending time reading and looking, I think I've overlooked it.

I read that AA (miles saver only) and Oneworld flights can be booked with Avios. I believe the best way to search for these is on aa.com and award nexus. The question is how do I book them with my avios? I see a statement that for straightforward bookings, I should be able to do this online, but I wasn't sure how. Do you just have to use their search for flights and find the same one? I haven't seen many (any?) AA or oneworld partner flights when I was searching for flights that are being booked with avios at the british airways site.

Any thoughts?
You search on ba.com using avios as you would search for BA reward flights. ba.com often has problems finding/displaying partner award flights involving connections. In that case, you search for the connecting flights individually and then call baec to book.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Did anyone had experience upgrading AA ticket and codeshare on BA metal using Avios? The ticket priced on AA much cheaper than booking on BA directly. However, now when attempting to upgrade from MMB, the website says "Sorry, it is not possible to change this booking on ba.com. Please contact your booking/travel agent." Am I out of luck?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:25 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Slipless
Did anyone had experience upgrading AA ticket and codeshare on BA metal using Avios?
Sorry, you're out of luck. You can only upgrade a flight on BA metal if it has been booked with a BA flight number. (You could upgrade it using AAdvantage miles, if you have any or if a mechanism to transfer miles across from US is implemented in time for you. All subject to availability, of course.)

Last edited by IMH; Dec 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Old Dec 11, 2013, 2:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by IMH
Sorry, you're out of luck. You can only upgrade a flight on BA metal if it has been booked with a BA flight number. (You could upgrade it using AAdvantage miles, if you have any or if a mechanism to transfer miles across from US is implemented in time for you. All subject to availability, of course.)
You can only upgrade with avios if it is issued by BA (e-ticket number 125-). A BA flight booked through AA with a BA flight number cannot be upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.