Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by factory81
Is it 80k Avios round trip to fly from ORD - CDG in biz on American?
Does this page help? http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_gb
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Seems ORD-CDG or ORD-FCO is 50k one way biz?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:24 pm

I am planning to book a flight using avios that looks to be 1151 miles (as per the published schedule)

Any chance there is some type of buffer that will allow this to price at 7,500 avios rather than 10,000?

Seems a shame as it is 2 miles over the cutoff!

Thanks for any insight!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:24 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Is it 80k Avios round trip to fly from ORD - CDG in biz on American? Does anyone know what kind of taxes there are?

I know ORD-DUB is 80k on Aer Lingus (and like $80 in taxes), and ORD-MAD is 80k on Ibera (and I think like $300ish in taxes).
Seems ORD-CDG or ORD-FCO is 50k one way biz?
Read the first page of this thread.

There is a table showing flight distance and how many avios are required.

ORD-DUB is 40,000 in J
ORD-MAD, ORD-CDG, ORD-FCO are all 50,000 in J

Originally Posted by jason_stn21
I am planning to book a flight using avios that looks to be 1151 miles (as per the published schedule)

Any chance there is some type of buffer that will allow this to price at 7,500 avios rather than 10,000?

Seems a shame as it is 2 miles over the cutoff!

Thanks for any insight!
No, if BA's distance is 1151mi then thats what it is.
It works both ways however, flights just over 2,000mi in J earn 140 TP's rather than 40 for instance, whether it is 1mi over or 100mi.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by nux
Read the first page of this thread.

There is a table showing flight distance and how many avios are required.

ORD-DUB is 40,000 in J
ORD-MAD, ORD-CDG, ORD-FCO are all 50,000 in J

No, if BA's distance is 1151mi then thats what it is.
It works both ways however, flights just over 2,000mi in J earn 140 TP's rather than 40 for instance, whether it is 1mi over or 100mi.

This causes me great grief. I must go from 62500 Avios up to...100k at worst. I might just have to transfer some SPG points over to get me there. Can you fly on AA from ORD to LHR and avoid paying taxes? That would allow me to go ORD-FCO and then LHR-ORD for 90k. AA flight 110 (ORD-FCO) should have low/no taxes, and then AA flight 91 going LHR to ORD would be...high taxes? Or what?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This causes me great grief. I must go from 62500 Avios up to...100k at worst. I might just have to transfer some SPG points over to get me there. Can you fly on AA from ORD to LHR and avoid paying taxes? That would allow me to go ORD-FCO and then LHR-ORD for 90k. AA flight 110 (ORD-FCO) should have low/no taxes, and then AA flight 91 going LHR to ORD would be...high taxes? Or what?
If you're concerned about taxes, you should be advised that the APD for premium class flights ex-LHR is pretty steep. BUT, there is no APD on flights arriving at LHR. So, if you simply switched the order of your flights around, you'd be able to save a bit of coin.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hi there, I am trying to book Intra Argentina flights BUE/MDZ and possibly MDZ or BUE to MVD in late October or early November. Online and calling BA does not help either. They are valid LAN routings. I have read a few bloggers stated this may be an issue but there should be some sort of work around. Any courtesy would be appreciated. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Looking for some advice on availability for a cash and Avios upgrade booking. I want 2 WT+ into CW seats LHR to Tokyo for next September. Current availability is almost zilch (couple of mid-week days but my travelling companion is restricted to weekend departure).

Looking back on the calendar I see that there's a lot of availability back in June and May, including on weekends. Is it normal for availability to improve a couple of months after booking opens (i.e. if I keep checking over the next 2 months or so will I be more likely to find weekend seats) or is September a peak time for redemption bookings? (I'd assumed it wouldn't be because it's after the schools start again but maybe I'm wrong)?

Thanks for any help - this is kind of a special trip for me so I'm looking to maximise (and unfortunately don't have the cash or Avios to CW into F).

1F
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Le Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Hi All,

I've been looking to use my stash of avios to upgrade from WTP+ to CW on the SIN-LHR route but as per the previous post availability is poor, especially for the July dates I'm looking for. I do have the option of going via BKK instead which is much better for availability but is it possible to get a redemption on Cathay for the SIN-BKK (econ) then the upgrade from BKK-LHR all in the same booking?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
is it possible to get a redemption on Cathay for the SIN-BKK (econ) then the upgrade from BKK-LHR all in the same booking?
Unless you want to spend a few days in HK, that would be a really sill redemption because you'd end up paying 2*10k miles and flying way out of the way.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Unless you want to spend a few days in HK, that would be a really sill redemption because you'd end up paying 2*10k miles and flying way out of the way.
Cathay fly direct to BKK from SIN on route to HK (either CX 712 or 713). SO no need to go to HK.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller
Cathay fly direct to BKK from SIN on route to HK (either CX 712 or 713). SO no need to go to HK.
Oops, my bad. I didn't think CX had many sectors left in its system that didn't touch HK these days.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Oops, my bad. I didn't think CX had many sectors left in its system that didn't touch HK these days.
I don't think it'll last long as it's not busy, they've even started to offer business class seats on Groupon here in Singapore!
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
When I have been looking recently I've seen a bit more availability on avios.com rather than through ba.com. Although I'm not sure of the availability between classes as only been looking for WT+.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:02 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by yokozuma
When I have been looking recently I've seen a bit more availability on avios.com rather than through ba.com. Although I'm not sure of the availability between classes as only been looking for WT+.
Avios.com may have extra availability, usually for WT and WT+ as they can book in to revenue fares.
BAEC has extra economy availability to BA Gold's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.