Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Taxes, fees, and charges vary from time to time.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:57 pm

i just called them back inquiring about taxes about this booking, a rep confirmed that it should have been 5.00
problem is i have been on hold w the dept that has the ability to make changes to tickets for 30 min+. For a 7 refund.
i had to hang up in the middle cuz i'm at work. what are my alternatives, i cant make a such online either. it says to call them

Originally Posted by stifle
Taxes, fees, and charges vary from time to time.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:15 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kaiotes
i have been on hold [...] for 30 min+. For a 7 refund.
It might be time to cut your losses. @:-)
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IMH
It might be time to cut your losses. @:-)
This was my thought as well when I read the post in question last night because $7 is nothing when compared with the scale of BA's own surcharges, but then it occurred to me that since the US is one of the few cases in which we actually know what the surcharge should be, it would be nice to task BA with getting things right. Not doing so simply gives them a greater feeling of comfort to make up rules on the fly.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Anyone know roughly how many Avios it would be to UuA from WT to WT+ assuming it's available? LHR-JKF one way.

I reckon about 10,000, can't check myself as the BA doesn't work on my work computer!

Last edited by yokozuma; Nov 19, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:39 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by yokozuma
Anyone know roughly how many Avios it would be to UuA from WT to WT+ assuming it's available? LHR-JKF one way.
Did you read the first few posts in this thread? Specifically post #6?

Are you in an eligible fare class (Y, B or H) to upgrade?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Originally Posted by nux
Did you read the first few posts in this thread? Specifically post #6?

Are you in an eligible fare class (Y, B or H) to upgrade?
Ah thanks, I'll have to take a look tonight back on a proper computer. ^
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:47 pm

I have been trying to use Avios to book a flight on Qatar airways BKK-HAN. This itinerary can be booked on the Qatar website but BA.com does not recognize the airport code HAN. Any way for me to book this trip without having to call BA?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 4:25 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Campath
I have been trying to use Avios to book a flight on Qatar airways BKK-HAN. This itinerary can be booked on the Qatar website but BA.com does not recognize the airport code HAN. Any way for me to book this trip without having to call BA?
AFAIK no. Call them up - I don't think ba.com has added Qatar booking functionality yet.

I just booked a LON-DOH-BKK myself about an hour ago and the agent seemed to agree that online didn't work...
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
AFAIK no. Call them up - I don't think ba.com has added Qatar booking functionality yet.

I just booked a LON-DOH-BKK myself about an hour ago and the agent seemed to agree that online didn't work...
A little OT but I flew DOH-BKK on QR yesterday and I was very impressed with it.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
A little OT but I flew DOH-BKK on QR yesterday and I was very impressed with it.
Well, if you're going OT - I was rather disappointed to see no F on the route and some rather old fashioned looking J seats (777 booked). It's ok then?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Can Avios be Used to Upgrade BA Flights Booked on AA Stock?

The BA flights involved have AA codeshare numbers.

Is it feasible? Thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:35 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Explore
The BA flights involved have AA codeshare numbers.

Is it feasible? Thanks.
No, you can only upgrade with avios AA/BA/IB flights booked through BA.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:08 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Minimum booking time for a 241 voucher?

I have a couple of 241 vouchers (UK AMEX PP card) and am looking to burn them travelling east and one way.
I understand that one can use these as one way redemptions with the Prem Plus card (although do not see this in the T&C's?).
I am in the process of applying for Visas in connection with a move to NZ. It is likely that the visas (and hence passports) will arrive within a few days of departing the UK. We would also like to have a stopover in PVG to see friends and of course need Visas for visiting mainland China. I am doubtful that these would be ready in time before our departure.
So the question is, what is the latest one can book 241 redemptions? I don't see anything in the T&C's for a limit and seem to recall it used to be something like 7 or 3days prior to travel.
I am likely to book 4 seats in CW as a back stop but might need to change them within a day or two if required. So is there also a time limit on changes?
thanks
dj
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by djsteve
=We would also like to have a stopover in PVG to see friends and of course need Visas for visiting mainland China. I am doubtful that these would be ready in time before our departure.
Citizens of the most commonly represented countries here on FT can avail of 72 hour TWOV in Shanghai (and a growing list of other Chinese cities).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.