Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Well...yes, but BA charges by segment no matter what. So while true, it works out to the same that it would cost anyway.
Are you sure about the taxes being the same also?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by moondog
Are you sure about the taxes being the same also?
No, but it's so low as to not matter on AA domestics.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
No, but it's so low as to not matter on AA domestics.
Oh, I forgot we were talking about AA. Should be the same $2.50 per segment regardless of how it's booked.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by moondog
Oh, I forgot we were talking about AA. Should be the same $2.50 per segment regardless of how it's booked.
Is there anyway to know what the fees will be? I'm trying to do a US to Canada flight soon and it's still cheap, but way more than $2.50. Just under $30/person each way.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
No worries. Don't forget Avios bookings are refundable (subject to a small fee), so it may be worth grabbing the available seats now and changing if something opens up which better suits your requirements.
So checking and re-checking, I found an Award-Flight LHR-LAX in F for May 2014 - but just a one-way..There seems to be absolutely no Awards left for the Return!

Kind of strange, isnt it!?
Will there be some Space opening up? Or is that all we get?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Gold
can you change destination?

Hi,

Just wondering if you can change the destination/cabin class once a ticket is booked (I know you can't online, but maybe over the phone?)

My situation is this:
Want to book ARN-LHR-NYC but right now only ARN-LHR is available. I am very confident that some LHR-NYC in F will open up within 5days of departure, but at that point ARN-LHR may not be available.

So can I book ARN-LHR now and then when LHR-NYC opens up before departure call BA and add on the transatlantic segment, get them to recalc the taxes/fees/Avios required and re-ticket?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
does BA show LAN Peru availability online?
Yes, I just booked Miami-Lima and return. I am not sure about flights internal to Peru. I would say that ba.com seems to be undergoing a lot of updates and site performance may not be consistent from day to day.

However, I was unable to book DFW-Miami-Lima. Sometimes Lima-Miami-DFW would appear and then disappear a few minutes later.

Last edited by olddallas; Sep 25, 2013 at 2:28 pm Reason: more information
Old Sep 26, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I was unable to find it here.

I would like to do Upgrading using Avios (UuA) on BA metal. Can I earn AA miles for the booked class instead of Avios? I have some Avios in the household account and the rest can be transferred from Platinum AmEx, but I'd rather earn AA miles for the trip.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by grrizzli
Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I was unable to find it here.

I would like to do Upgrading using Avios (UuA) on BA metal. Can I earn AA miles for the booked class instead of Avios? I have some Avios in the household account and the rest can be transferred from Platinum AmEx, but I'd rather earn AA miles for the trip.
Let me answer my own question. It looks like that it is possible but it may take some time and effort to get the miles credited to the AAdvantage account. The relevant thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ade-avios.html
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Question: is there a difference between what BA can book and what AA can book if I'm booking an award on AS? I'm trying to make an Avios booking YVR-SEA-MSO- AA shows it available but the BA agent can't see it when I call in to try and make the booking.

I feel like I've asked the question before and got an answer of "no", but this issue seems to keep coming up for me.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jamar
Question: is there a difference between what BA can book and what AA can book if I'm booking an award on AS? I'm trying to make an Avios booking YVR-SEA-MSO- AA shows it available but the BA agent can't see it when I call in to try and make the booking.

I feel like I've asked the question before and got an answer of "no", but this issue seems to keep coming up for me.
The answer should be no. With AA of course it will be one award and with BA it will be two. What are the dates?
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The answer should be no. With AA of course it will be one award and with BA it will be two. What are the dates?
YVR-SEA-MSO on November 11th, out of YVR just before 5PM and arriving at MSO around 11:35PM. I already successfully ticketed it on AA just because I was afraid of waiting too long and losing it entirely (it's a holiday), but I am curious.

(and with BA it would be two, but 4500+4500 is still less than 12500)
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jamar
YVR-SEA-MSO on November 11th, out of YVR just before 5PM and arriving at MSO around 11:35PM. I already successfully ticketed it on AA just because I was afraid of waiting too long and losing it entirely (it's a holiday), but I am curious.

(and with BA it would be two, but 4500+4500 is still less than 12500)
It shows as available as a supersaver on the AS website so it should be bookable by BAEC with avios.
AS2233 YVR-SEA dep455p arr546
connecting to
AS2340 SEA-MSO dep935 arr1156
I would probably HUACA and make sure whoever you talk to next searches for the two segments individually.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:07 am

Asking for SEA-MSO separately results in nothing from two separate agents. So I'm really wondering what they're doing. And if they're blocking like UA used to do with certain partners.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:15 pm

Is it 80k Avios round trip to fly from ORD - CDG in biz on American? Does anyone know what kind of taxes there are?

I know ORD-DUB is 80k on Aer Lingus (and like $80 in taxes), and ORD-MAD is 80k on Ibera (and I think like $300ish in taxes).

But I am trying to think of other ways to get to Europe and looking at other routes and saw this ORD-CDG route and wondered about BA redemption in biz on American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.