Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I'm trying to get 4 return business tickets to the US, preferably west coast but NY would do. This is for July/ Aug next ear (2014).

I'm seeing nothing available, despite trying multiple airports. Am I just too early, or do I have no chance or are they probably already gone?

Any tips very gratefully appreciated!
I'd say you're a touch too early.

Very early July looks to be available, but nothing any later so give it a couple of weeks and have a look.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 3:32 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I'm trying to get 4 return business tickets to the US, preferably west coast [...] for July/ Aug next ear (2014). [...] I'm seeing nothing available
Maybe ba.com was playing tricks on you. I'm seeing at least 4 CW redemption seats available on BA283 (LHR-LAX) on 1 July, 2 July, 8 July and 9 July. If none of those work for you then wait and see if similar availability opens up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays later in July/August.

Availability for LAX-LHR is at least as good. I can see stacks of CW availability on 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 July, on some days there's even a choice of flights.

You are likely to find even more options if your group can be split.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Thanks to you both for replies, will have a look at LAX.

If i book one way now, will I end up paying double taxes, or is it ok to book out now and returns later?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:44 am
IMH

is it ok to book out now and returns later?
Unless you're using a 2-4-1 voucher then it's not only okay but recommended -- especially when you're looking for multiple redemptions. Book what works for you as soon as you see it.

(Bear in mind that your US-UK "return" flights are also outbound flights for people in the US heading to Europe -- and at least some of them will be waiting for UK-US return flights to appear before booking with their Chase 2-4-1 vouchers.)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: F
Thanks to you both for replies, will have a look at LAX.

If i book one way now, will I end up paying double taxes, or is it ok to book out now and returns later?
You may end up paying more taxes (fuel surcharge - YQ) that way. Check it out with dummy bookings.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:58 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by redshift27
You may end up paying more taxes (fuel surcharge - YQ) that way. Check it out with dummy bookings.
If you book the outbound and then add an inbound when availability is there, the only difference should be the phone service fee.

But if you book two one ways then there could be a difference, as YQ ex-UK is different to ex-US.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Lots of helpful advice, thanks.

Doing dummies booing two one ways is about £90 pp more, the price I guess to guarantee the flights, so I like the idea of booking out flight then paying a service centre fee to add the return on as it will be a lower cost per person.

I must say using BA seems much trickier than using Lufthansa- when good old BMI was around!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:14 am
IMH

Originally Posted by nux
If you book the outbound and then add an inbound when availability is there, the only difference should be the phone service fee.

But if you book two one ways then there could be a difference, as YQ ex-UK is different to ex-US.
Good point and one I should have mentioned, especially given that in Skimanant's case the difference for four passengers is getting on for £400.

That said, sometimes the flexibility gained by booking outbound and return as completely separate itineraries is more important. On many trips I'd willingly pay a premium of £90 for the peace of mind of knowing I can cancel flights in just one direction for a relatively small penalty -- and change or cancel the return after I've flown the outbound.

With four people travelling [I]'d also consider splitting the group onto two PNRs, especially if redemption availability typically appears in quantities lower than four, but this far out that probably isn't a concern for Skimanant.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Need to get 3 tickets BOS - DUB in late Feb. Three generations - 73 year old, 45 year old and 9 year old. Have 50000 points on Chase right not. Have someone who is willing to give 7000 AmEx points. What is the best way to get the tickets? Split the points?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
BOS-DUB is 25,000 Avios return (round-trip) in economy. You'll need an extra 18,000 Avios.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:48 am

Similar Question to mine at LH-Newbie Lounge:

So I was checking my Avios and they're enough for a r/t-Trip in F for FRA-LAX..And yes, I wanted to try the new F on the A380..But there's like no Space available - at least, I dont see any..Neither from FRA, nor from London...Same Question: What am I doing wrong?
Would HKG be easier to get?
Trip planned for June/July/August 2014
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Similar Question to mine at LH-Newbie Lounge:

So I was checking my Avios and they're enough for a r/t-Trip in F for FRA-LAX..And yes, I wanted to try the new F on the A380..But there's like no Space available - at least, I dont see any..Neither from FRA, nor from London...Same Question: What am I doing wrong?
Would HKG be easier to get?
Trip planned for June/July/August 2014
I see 2 F seats available to LAX on the 12th, 13th and 14th of May. Noting coming back so look to do an open jaw and fly home from SFO/LAS/PHX

It's also possible that availability hasn't been opened up for Jul/Aug yet, but LAX is a hugely popular route for redemptions (on par with SYD and MCO), so they will be snapped up on the day of release almost certainly.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
It's also possible that availability hasn't been opened up for Jul/Aug yet, but LAX is a hugely popular route for redemptions (on par with SYD and MCO), so they will be snapped up on the day of release almost certainly.
Thanks Wozza2402!

I'll check your posted dates - and the Open Jaw you suggested is a good one!

And hey, no risk, no fun..So I'll check daily for the opening of July/August
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Thanks Wozza2402!

I'll check your posted dates - and the Open Jaw you suggested is a good one!

And hey, no risk, no fun..So I'll check daily for the opening of July/August
No worries. Don't forget Avios bookings are refundable (subject to a small fee), so it may be worth grabbing the available seats now and changing if something opens up which better suits your requirements.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 2:03 pm

How do I book an award ticket for someone not in the household account? Call?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.