Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero

i Preface
If you are new to the British Airways Executive Club (BAEC) or a long term member but have not booked a redemption flight since the programme's relaunch in 2011, you may have realised by now that planning an Avios redemption calls for a shift in mindset, especially to those more used to redeeming miles for flights with North American frequent flyer programmes.

The purpose of this thread is to introduce you to how the BAEC works in terms of spending Avios and to share some tips will will assist you during the planning and booking stages. We'll also cover the options available to you, so you can make an informed decision on how best to maximise your Avios Points.

If you are seeking guidance on the changes to the Executive Club in relation to the programme's 2011 relaunch, the Q&A discussion serves as a very useful reference point.

ii Contents
iii Acknowledgments
This guide is a collaborative effort, and could not have been produced without the kind contributions from corporate-wage-slave, DWFI, LTN Phobia, Petrus, Prospero, and Stez.
Print Wikipost

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
The availability for companion tickets is precisely the same as availability for two straight redemptions. Use the Book with Avios link when logged into your executive club account as the explore availability tool is unreliable. Or use a third-party tool such as KVS (paid subscription).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:32 am

Hi all,

BA newbie here. I googled this but couldn't find an answer. When you book domestic US AA flights with Avios, is the $75 close in booking fee (less than 21 days) waived?

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by accrue450
Hi all,

BA newbie here. I googled this but couldn't find an answer. When you book domestic US AA flights with Avios, is the $75 close in booking fee (less than 21 days) waived?

Thanks!
BA doesn't have such a fee.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:55 am

Wow! They need to advertise this. What an awesome benefit! My Avios that I got from MR are so much more useful now! Thanks!!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by accrue450
Wow! They need to advertise this. What an awesome benefit! My Avios that I got from MR are so much more useful now! Thanks!!
What's to advertise? Many --if not most-- FFPs don't charge close-in fees.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:25 pm

Maybe you're primarily non-US FFPs? All three US based ones charge $75 close in booking fee unless you have status, with I don't with AA...
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:41 pm

I am trying to book ORD-NRT. I selected AA flights, and it shows two tickets for 120000 Avios + $ 90.

After I click continue, it jumps to 120000 Avios + $ 1,327.10

I remember I used to fly JFK-NRT for 50000 avios + $60 tax
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by myamex
I am trying to book ORD-NRT. I selected AA flights, and it shows two tickets for 120000 Avios + $ 90.

After I click continue, it jumps to 120000 Avios + $ 1,327.10

I remember I used to fly JFK-NRT for 50000 avios + $60 tax
Interesting. I just searched LAX-NRT and discovered the same phenomenon.

On JL, it comes to 25k+ $314, whereas on AA the initial quote is 25k+ $2, BUT $2 miraculously transforms to $314 after moving to the next screen.

I had heard this change was in the works, but thought it not possible in the absence of AA restructuring its fares.

CX's fees are modest by comparison. However, the only NA route that is shorter than 6500 miles is YVR-HKG. The others all cost a whopping 70k BA points in business class.

The short of it is that AA miles are for more useful than BA miles on pretty much every conceivable NA-Asia itinerary at present, even when accounting for close-in fees.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:43 am

buggy BA software. I was seeing 8F JFK-HKG on 777 today...
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: AA/US/BA
BA newbie here...

Trying to book a flight for my parents to Cancun in May on AA.

First problem: over the past two days I've only been able to login to BA once. Every other time it says there is a problem with the website, and I can't get to the Members area.

Second problem: the one time I could get in to quote ATL-MIA-CUN and back, it gave me 36k Avios (correct) + ~$150 in fees. Wanted to see if this was accurate as I thought Avios had zero to little fees. I believe the fees were international things with Mexico, but again I can't login right now to confirm so... :|

Appreciate any pointers.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:57 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by k3vb0t
BA newbie here...

First problem: over the past two days I've only been able to login to BA once. Every other time it says there is a problem with the website, and I can't get to the Members area.

Second problem: the one time I could get in to quote ATL-MIA-CUN and back, it gave me 36k Avios (correct) + ~$150 in fees. Wanted to see if this was accurate as I thought Avios had zero to little fees. I believe the fees were international things with Mexico, but again I can't login right now to confirm so... :|

Appreciate any pointers.
The first problem should be resolved now.. it was giving problems yesterday.. today it seems fine..
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by k3vb0t
BA newbie here...

Appreciate any pointers.
See this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ed-thread.html
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Newbie to using Avios here.

I have been trying to book n Air Berlin (NYC > DUS or TXL)flight on the BA website using Avios (transfered from AXP).

AA.com shows Saver availability on the the desired dates but nothing appears on BA.com no matter how I search.

Am I doing something wrong? Any possible solutions or tips?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Newbie to using Avios here.

I have been trying to book n Air Berlin (NYC > DUS or TXL)flight on the BA website using Avios (transfered from AXP).

AA.com shows Saver availability on the the desired dates but nothing appears on BA.com no matter how I search.

Am I doing something wrong? Any possible solutions or tips?
aa.com has been showing false/phantom availability for AB for some time, it is not reliable for AB reward flights. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-me-book.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rds-issue.html
Old Dec 28, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
can I use 4,001 avios for a flight within the US without having to buy 1,000 for the 500 I am obviously missing when trying to book a short haul flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.